Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 20:21   #1
BHPian

Problematic Gear boxes in Fiesta 1.4 EL?

My Brother in law is a doc and drives a Fiesta 1.4EL. He has been using the car for a year and is done about 15k on the odo(99% city). His gear box just dropped dead on him one day and thankfully he got it fixed under warranty
The problem was the cables were cut (this is a cable operated box. Remember?) and the bushes had gone kaput.
This was a shock to us. No other car we have owned has had problems in the gearbox area and this was unheard of
When inquired the dealers said that it was pretty common in fiestas.

Now, that was even a bigger shocker.

Is this true fellas? Do fieastas have weak cogs setup?
Old 14th November 2007, 20:27   #2
BHPian

Never heard of it. The fiesta gearshift is one of the best in class and it has been pretty smooth for me. My car met with an accident and the "transaxle" was changed. It was at 20k kms. Till date 40k kms i dont have any problems with the gearshift! (Touchwood...)
Old 14th November 2007, 23:33   #3
BHPian

The fiesta's gearshift is sweet. Never heard of any problems with it.
Old 15th November 2007, 09:08   #4
BHPian

Even I find the gearshift really sweet. But this was a shock for us. The more shocking thing was the dealer saying that this is not an unusual problem!
Old 15th November 2007, 10:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mr. Venkatesh

For all cars, it is a question of probability. If consumer surveys say that so and so car is highly reliable, that means that there is a likelihood that it would give few problems. But for some the problems may be more, and they would laugh at the surveys. Why some companies are high on reliability and some are not is that better companies have the systems, processes, and integrity to ensure that they do it `consistently' right most of the time. For others, it is mostly luck, some go right, but most are lemons. When people who get lemons complain, the people who got the right quality say it has not happened and their car has been running for 20 years.

It is not directed at the replies on this thread but in general. That is why in any product market, companies cannot rest on their laurels. They must ensure consistency and extremely high quality and reliability all the time across every single product that goes out of the factory for them to be successful in the long term.
Old 15th November 2007, 11:46   #6
NIP
Senior - BHPian

i've never heard of chronic gearbox problems with fiestas either. must be a one-off issue. strange that the dealer claims its a common thing.

and while saying 'dealer', it usually points to one individual who is most likely a new employee/sales guy etc. who probably doesn't know jack about the cars. and by now, we all know the crap that 'dealers' give us...!
Old 15th November 2007, 14:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Can someone ask the guy from the dealership who gave this news to please go on record and utter the same? Or even give some statistics on the same? I bet he wouldnt.
Old 15th November 2007, 14:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
while saying 'dealer', it usually points to one individual who is most likely a new employee/sales guy etc. who probably doesn't know jack about the cars. and by now, we all know the crap that 'dealers' give us...!
Yeah true. I agree totally.

Mr.Vasudev. Thanks for your note. Yeah. I just thought i will check this forum to call the dealer's bluff.

@benbsb29, true, they wont go on record. But being a warranty replacement and his saying so is shocking. If it is paid replacement one can suspect he is pulling a fast one on us.
Old 15th November 2007, 14:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Yeah true. I agree totally.

Mr.Vasudev. Thanks for your note. Yeah. I just thought i will check this forum to call the dealer's bluff.

@benbsb29, true, they wont go on record. But being a warranty replacement and his saying so is shocking. If it is paid replacement one can suspect he is pulling a fast one on us.
e

Perhaps the mechanic had a pal with a Fiesta that was out of warranty, and he wanted to replace his parts for free by using your car's warranty.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:46   #10
BHPian

But the gearbox in the Fiesta did have a problem in the first place and that recurred even after a so called attempt to fix it. Anyways G.O.K. I guess there is no definitive answer to what could have happened. It is only obvious that other fiesta owners in the forum have not experienced this problem and therefore the service guy was either bluffing or they did favours or we got a lemon

Most Viewed