Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 14:38   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
then Octroi will be 4.5 % of current used car value paid.
Nope, I wouldn't think its on the transaction amount as under-invoicing is a popular practice when buying used. As many have posted, octroi is calculated on the book value.
Old 28th March 2008, 16:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

What is the book value? is it the value of car when bought originally or value decided after some fixed depreciation ?
Old 7th April 2008, 12:59   #18
BHPian

From what I remember, the Octroi charged on cars less than one year old when they are transferred to Mumbai is higher than the standard 4.5%. A driving school chappie can confirm the costs and process for you.
Old 18th June 2011, 21:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Octroi on used car

Mods pardon me fo bumping a old thread but i wanted to know how the book value of the car is arrived at.I am considering a used car which 4 years old and is registered in Thane and am looking at getting the same transferred in mumbai.

thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 16:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Mods pardon me fo bumping a old thread but i wanted to know how the book value of the car is arrived at.I am considering a used car which 4 years old and is registered in Thane and am looking at getting the same transferred in mumbai.

thanks
Hi,
have you found out what is the book value according to the mumbai rto?

Thanks..
Old 20th May 2012, 12:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
Hi,
have you found out what is the book value according to the mumbai rto?

Thanks..
Berj79, I paid Octroi on a used MH 04 registered car (I paid ~ 3 lacs for it) at the Andheri RTO.

I spoke to a few RTO agents - the octroi amount had a wild range - Rs 30000 to 7000! While the 4.5% is constant, the book value is 'variable'!

I finally went with the cheapest 'quotation' (from a TBHP recommended RTO agent) and got it done.
Old 20th May 2012, 14:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Berj79, I paid Octroi on a used MH 04 registered car (I paid ~ 3 lacs for it) at the Andheri RTO.

I spoke to a few RTO agents - the octroi amount had a wild range - Rs 30000 to 7000! While the 4.5% is constant, the book value is 'variable'!

I finally went with the cheapest 'quotation' (from a TBHP recommended RTO agent) and got it done.
3lacs octrio?? which car & model year?

Thanks..
Old 20th May 2012, 15:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
3lacs octrio?? which car & model year?

Thanks..
Lol, no! ~ 3 lac = price I paid for the used car, ~ 7 K = Octroi Paid.

The Octroi amount varied between different brokers and one of them quoted '30K' saying the car was worth 7 lacs as per RTO.

The book value 'depends' on the broker's 'connections'.

Go with a broker who gets it done at the minimum price for this ridiculous tax.
Old 20th May 2012, 15:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Lol, no! ~ 3 lac = price I paid for the used car, ~ 7 K = Octroi Paid.

The Octroi amount varied between different brokers and one of them quoted '30K' saying the car was worth 7 lacs as per RTO.

The book value 'depends' on the broker's 'connections'.

Go with a broker who gets it done at the minimum price for this ridiculous tax.
ooh k, so it depends on the brokers hmmn, thanks for the info..
Old 9th May 2017, 13:02   #25
BHPian

I recently bought a 2012 Honda Jazz X. Liked the car as it was kept and maintained well.

Here's the issue:

1. The car is a MH01 registered car and was on a company lease. The original Tax Invoice for the car lists a 4.5% Octroi amount that the dealer paid on the car (and listed on the Invoice).
2. Post closure of the lease, the employee, who was using the car, purchased the car from the leasing company.
3. The employee transferred the car to his name and address, which is in Vasai.
4. I bought the car and am trying to get it registered in my name and address (MH03).

The NOC for the vehicle transfer was obtained from the Vasai RTO. However, while initiating the transfer to my name in my RTO location (MH03), the RTO official asked for payment of Octroi. When told that the Octroi for the vehicle was already paid when it was purchased (with a copy of the Tax Invoice), the official asked for the Octroi receipt. I have purchased 3 cars and 2 bikes in the past and never had I been given the Octroi receipt - the amount was just listed in the Tax Invoice for the respective purchases.

In this case, since the vehicle is a MH01-registered vehicle with a 4.5% Octroi amount listed on the Tax Invoice itself.

Please advise - would I need to pay Octroi again on the vehicle?

Regards,
Old 9th May 2017, 17:16   #26
BHPian

I have a query: How does RTO arrive at the depreciated value of the vehicle for a used vehicle if the owner dose not have the original sale invoice.

Do they take the insurance IDV as the valid value or the sale price between first and second owner ? or any formula based on the prevailing price of the same model in market, what is the model is discontinued ?

Asking as I am looking to get pre-owned car and I am based in Pune. Liked a few cars in Mumbai, but the whole process of transfer is unclear hence hesitant in deciding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks