Team-BHP - Why don't they launch BMW 123D in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why don't they launch BMW 123D in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/33217-why-dont-they-launch-bmw-123d-india.html)

Seriously.. why doesn't BMW launch its 1-series diesel in India.

Photos: 2008 BMW 123d

BMW 123d: 201hp twin-turbo diesel - 54.3mpg - German Car Zone

because people arent gonna pay above 10lacs for a hatch be it diesel or not. atleast most people.

i hope someday we will get 'luxury' without the 'size' baggage in India.

Well the 5 door version would sell well..

BMW 1 Series (five-door) : Introduction

one should read the thread 'has skoda fabia bookings started' for an answer to this thread.

our mentality is still . . if the car is with a boot, i dont mind paying more, but if its a hatchback. . .sorry not more than 5 or 6 lacs.

that is precisely the reason, why the 1 series will not sell

cheers,

1-series is the most affordable bmw range.. so why don't they sell it here?

I would love it if somebody would launch a powerful, affordable Coupe too as I could buy & use one as my daily driver but then not all our dreams come true!!

On a more serious note, it's mostly to do with the high price & as a result smaller volumes which deter the players. They can't produce it here because of the small volumes they'll sell & they can't price it lower as they have to import them as CBU's. A kind of a vicious circle if you ask me.

if the 123d is sold as a CBU, it would cost in the range of 28-29 lakhs and India isnt the right market for it, at least for the time being. One would prefer to spend little more and get a 320d for 32 laks approx.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipen (Post 664063)
if the 123d is sold as a CBU, it would cost in the range of 28-29 lakhs and India isnt the right market for it, at least for the time being. One would prefer to spend little more and get a 320d for 32 laks approx.

:) I DONT THINK SO

the ACI expects it at a range of 17-22 lacs
and even i feel that would be the right price as it has to compete with the vw beetle and mini cooper and also the A-class which are avilable in this range

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac 427 (Post 663858)
one should read the thread 'has skoda fabia bookings started' for an answer to this thread.

our mentality is still . . if the car is with a boot, i dont mind paying more, but if its a hatchback. . .sorry not more than 5 or 6 lacs.

that is precisely the reason, why the 1 series will not sell

cheers,

Well, people might change their opinion when they see one and find that they are really good. Right now with the type of hatches we have around and with low prices, its difficult to think about how good a hatch can be.

It is really a great car. I drove 120d many a times and it has 6 forward gears and a reverse one. The power is really great. The read line is above 5000 rpm.

Even 17-22Lacs for a hatch is too much in out country. Hatches worth 10Lacs wont sell, its a nitch market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 664273)
Even 17-22Lacs for a hatch is too much in out country. Hatches worth 10Lacs wont sell, its a nitch market.

arre baba.. even hatches for 7 lacs dont sell..

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 664273)

BMW's are a niche market product in this country period! They should try their hand at selling the 1 series here. The customer for that type of car won't worry if it has a boot or not. He would be sophisticated enough to know what he wants. Nothing ventured, nothing gained BMW.

The new BMW 1-series has a boot (but 2-doors). Who knows - they might put 2 extra doors there and sell in India as a sedan?