Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2008, 20:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
deja vu PAL Peugeot......the French simply cannot seem to do business here.
Another way to look at it is that Mahindra simply cannot do business with a foriegn partner. They are too big, too succesful and too egoistic to take orders from anybody now.
Old 6th January 2008, 16:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
They are too big, too succesful and too egoistic to take orders from anybody now.
Their success is nowhere close to what Tata Motors has achieved, whom I'd apply your statement to.
Old 6th January 2008, 20:09   #18
SuperSyn

If true, this is great news for Renault, and they will come out stronger in future. This isn't really a PAL-Peugeot Part-II, although it seems like one. Ghosn and Co. are committed to India, the Chennai plant is on steam.

Mahindra did not perform to expectations with the Logan project. Poor return for the value, Renault could have got similar (or better!) results had they gone all on their own. His Excellency Carlos must not be happy with the way Renault has become branded and bracketed in India.

1. Bajaj will be the better partner for cheap cars.

2. All other Renault and Nissan products can be manufactured from their own Chennai facility with complete sovereignty. I fully expect them to have their own dealership network as well (perhaps with some equity from Bajaj...) for these products, and not rely on Mahindra at all. Good riddance and about time!

3. In the interim, the Logan will be produced, sold and serviced as per original agreement between the two parties. When that contract expires, I do not expect Renault to sign any extensions.

4. Mahindra better pull a "chinese engineering" job ASAP if they want to make any cars in the future. With the JagRover bid lost, all they can build are tractors like Scorpio etc. Essentially any plans of growth and dominance in India are gone. Hoo-ray!

5. I do not feel sorry for the Pakjabi lala Mr. Mahindra and his bunch of suits.

6. Go Renault-Nissan! W00t!!

Last edited by SuperSyn : 6th January 2008 at 20:16.

Old 29th December 2008, 01:31   #19
BHPian

Mahindra - Renault joint venture broken?

Does any one have any concrete information as to if the joint venture between Mahindra & Renault has been over?

There has been lot of speculation that the alliance has been broken due to poor sales of Logan recently. Also, I have seen in couple of magazines that a face lifted logan is on cards in 2009 and also couple of new models from Renault.

I have friend who tells me that his friend is working in M&M design dept. and they have been briefed about the JV being called of. Not sure how true this is.

Would it be really wise to go in for logan?
Old 29th December 2008, 09:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

if its true ,i wonder what renalt will do alone,i just hope it doesnt end the PAL peugot way
Old 29th December 2008, 09:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Even I came to know this. Certainly it will be bad run for Renault. Fiat needed Indian partner ( its a different thing that it is a disaster for Fiat ), Peugeot is still afraid to step in India and I wonder what new thing Renault can do. None of the European car maker in under Rs. 20 lakh have great rating for A.S & S.

Wonder what will happen to Renault. The upgraded Logan is still not yet out.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:26   #22
BHPian

well, as per my knowledge, the M&M - Renault JV is being called off, BUT, it will continue for the Logan.
However, Renault wants to introduce "Sandero" into the Indian market and since they find production costs expensive, they are still considering to use the M&M facility for the Sandero too.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

What will happen to Renault? IMO, they may wind up and go back home. With the recession around and all the car companies reporting losses (even the mighty Toyota for the first time). But I feel M&M will continue A** of Logans. If they don ot do, then it will become a huge issue for them. They may not opt for any new launches.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:47   #24
BHPian

I never understood why the Logan got all the media attention in the first place. It might be that it was designed as a low cost no- frills car for emerging markets, but then look at the Ikon, Fiesta, Dzire, Scorpio etc, etc. The Logan was a case of over- promising and under- delivering. Have you seen the insides of a Logan? After paying that much money for a car, doesn't one deserve at least better seat upholstery. Renault should not blame its partner or the dynamics of the Indian market, but stop treating the Indian buyer as a second- rate one. The usual French marketing attitude might work in West and North Africa, but not here in India.
Old 29th December 2008, 16:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Funny thing that the last post on this thread is at the time when the year is about to get over and the last post prior to merging the threads is just after the year 08 started! Guys, I guess Mahindra is also launching Sandero from their plant as my friend sees it normally at the Mahindra office. Can some insiders click pics of the car from the M&M headquarters at Worli?
Old 29th December 2008, 18:43   #26
SuperSyn

A lot has changed in 12 months. I have been reading media reports on other sites that:
  • Nissan has stopped all construction at their new factory. Project frozen if not killed.
  • Toyota have stopped expansion at their facility too.
  • Honda have either delayed or shelved the launch of their hatch. The contruction of their new factory in Rajasthan has been frozen.

Old 29th December 2008, 18:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Good that GTO merged the threads. We can now compare what was said earlier and what is happening now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks