Team-BHP - VW Jetta
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   VW Jetta (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/34212-vw-jetta.html)

The Car is showcased at the Auto Expo running in Delhi. I saw the New Jetta at the VW stall.

Can someone throw some light on when this car is coming out , the price and in what all engine specs.

I wonder how VW will position this car compared to the Laura considering they are based on the same platform.That is if at all they do plan to launch it.

EDIT - Apparently its coming to us this year
Quote:

New Delhi, Aug. 21: German car maker Volkswagen is planning to launch the mid-sized sedan Jetta in India next year.
The car will be assembled at Skoda’s Aurangabad factory using completely-knocked-down kits from Puebla, Mexico. Volkswagen AG had acquired Skoda in 1991. Based in the Czech Republic, Skoda Auto develops, manufactures and markets passenger cars throughout the world.
The Jetta is a Golf hatchback with a boot. It will be based on the A5 Golf platform like Skoda’s Laura. The Jetta is likely to compete with the Hyundai Verna, Maruti Suzuki SX4 and the Ford Fiesta.
The car is likely to be launched both in the petrol and diesel versions and priced between Rs 7 lakh and Rs 9 lakh.
Around two lakh cars were sold in the mid-sized segment in India in the last financial year.
Sources say Volkswagen will go for a 1.6-litre engine as part of its petrol line-up, using its patented FSI technology. The diesel engine may sport a 1.9-litre TDI engine, which is also present in Skoda Octavia.
Volkswagen India will continue to assemble its cars at the Aurangabad plant for the next two years till it moves to its plant in Pune. the Pune unit is expected to manufacture nearly 1,10,000 units a year. The company will invest around Rs 2,500 crore in this facility.
Volkswagen has recently set up a sales company called Volkswagen Group Sales India Private Limited in Mumbai to focus on the Indian market. The company will launch the Passat, its first car assembled in India, in September.

The Telegraph - Calcutta : Business

the people at the VW stand said a 2.0 Litre engine. Dont know whether they were saying about the petrol or the deisel. The brochure they provided had a 2.0Ltr FSI and a 2.0Ltr Tdi. Can someone throw some light on it.

Both the 2.0 engines are quite powerful in their normal state of tune. FSI puts out around 200 BHP and the diesel around 170 BHP. These engines should make an appearance in the Laura vRS as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvd (Post 687403)
Both the 2.0 engines are quite powerful in their normal state of tune. FSI puts out around 200 BHP and the diesel around 170 BHP. These engines should make an appearance in the Laura vRS as well.

I doubt they will give such powerful engines to the Jetta. The Jetta is not going to rival the Laura but the Octy, since its going to be priced around 8-10Lacs according to news journos. Same journos said Fabia will be priced between 5L-6.5L :deadhorse

Somehow I feel the Laura looks better than the Jetta though I assume that it will be positioned above the Laura if its getting the 2.0 engines. You know how reliable newspaper reports are.......

They might be looking at this car to replace the sucess of octavia,as popularity of octavia is slowly fading due launch of fresher and modern cars like civic.

The jetta will be launched by mid of 2009 and will feature 2.0 ltr of Both Petrol and Diesel version.

The power is same as Shuvd said.

Priced between 8.75 - 9.80 lacs

AND ITs going to replace a lot many cars in its category Man.

Man, this is gonna get so confusing! They are both based on the same platform, and have near identical interior dimensions. For sure, the Octavia will be discontinued. Butttttttttttttttt:

1. Will the Laura take the Octavia's place? Consistent price revisions seem to suggest so. Of late, the Laura is also selling more than the Octavia.

2. OR will the Laura stay where it is, and the Passat takes the Octavia's place? But then, wasn't VW trying to position itself as a higher end alternative to Skoda? Look at the pricing of the 27 lakh Passat?

I dont think too many expected Skoda to become a luxury brand in India :D

If VW will launch the 2.0 TFSI 200bhp Petrol and 2.0 170bhp TDI then it would be priced way above Laura. How can they price it with City and SX4 with those engines? If the Laura is not pushed down to Octy levels then I think base petrol Jetta would be priced about 50K more then Laura Tdi Ambiente. It's not going to be easy for Skoda to push Laura down to Octy levels. They may come out with a Laura Rider at about Civic S price point but I don't see them pricing Ambiente and L&K lower. When these cars are selling like hot cakes at those prices, why reduce prices?

Skoda becoming a luxury brand has put VW in a extremely tight spot and Skoda continues doing this with the Fabia. If VW ever decide to get the Polo into India, how the hell will they price it?! VW must be thinking, 'with friends like these who needs enemies' :)

Well, VW could launch the Jetta with current Octavia engines.
Or, with the Fabia vRS engine and prices it around the 8L mark?
Skoda offers the Octy with only the 1.6 engine. Or, kills off the brand altogether.
This will become interesting!

Methinks,
The Jetta will be priced at Laura levels for sure or maybe more.

The Polo sedan would be priced at 8-10L mark.

[quote=amit;687903]down to Octy levels. They may come out with a Laura Rider at about Civic S price point but I don't see them pricing Ambiente and L&K lower. When these cars are selling like hot cakes at those prices, why reduce prices?
QUOTE]

They will lose the goodwill of current Skoda owners, the current A.S.S. could tip them the wrong way

Quote:

VW must be thinking, 'with friends like these who needs enemies' :)[/
Read it as with "Cousins like these, who needs enemies"

Quote:

2. OR will the Laura stay where it is, and the Passat takes the Octavia's place? But then, wasn't VW trying to position itself as a higher end alternative to Skoda? Look at the pricing of the 27 lakh Passat?
Do you mean the Jetta taking he Octy's place ? My impression is that VW will not supply very hot engines out here.

Thanks God, Skoda dropped a few RS's in while testing the waters

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 687969)
Read it as with "Cousins like these, who needs enemies"

or better still, 'Sleeping with the Enemy' :D

I doubt veryt much the Jetta will be in the 8-9 lakh range. I checked it out at the Auto Expo, sat inside, looked at it thoroughly. My impression is they could charge a slight premium over the Civic and Corolla for it. The fit and finish is superb and its very solidly built. With the Laura, VW do have a problem and I can't figure how they will resolve it.