Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 12:44   #16
BHPian

Clarification: Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
I think you mean adaptation. I don't see how evolution comes into the picture.
I am referring to our reflexes. Human reflexes are surely deft in sports and warfare and driving a car in high speeds require complete and uninterrupted attention. Accidents happen when this fails.

As for evolution I was referring to a Discovery Channel Documentary which stated that we Humans will be sharper, smarter in the future course of evolution and that includes better-mastering fast cars. We have already changed a lot since...
Old 5th February 2008, 13:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
REACTION TIME

Human vision is almost 180 degrees form left to right. And 70 degrees vertically. So we have a wide vision capability. Evolution has designed our eyes to search. So we can concentrate on a particular range at a any single point of time. That range is the area of a mere coin held at arms length. Now it takes 1/10th of a sec. To move our focus from that 'coin' area to another point, and another 1/10th to process that information in our brain. The latter is the reflex speed we have and it varies according to what state our body is in.
the fact being that when we learn to ride / drive we dont know how to anticipate sudden objects because we tend to look just ahead (most drivers / riders)
We can widen our reaction time if we use the SEE technique

S= Search = keep your eyes looking for objects, clear roads etc for a good distance at higher / lower speeds,

E=Evaluate = the persons not doing above Search are usually tailgaters and end up rear ending or stuck in traffic when an alternate lane either left right or going off the shoulder could have changed the situation.

E=Execute after search evaluate the handle / steering is in your hand and the choice is with ur brain

Either go left or right or ram straight in to him.
Cannonball Run line. in this case (rear end).
Old 5th February 2008, 13:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
So we must not even play cricket! Moreover Do you not drive? Then, What is evolution?

How is this even connected?

Human brain can Multitask/thread. Thats why we build processors that can simulate human brains rather than the other way round. Moreover its an age old suggestion to excercise caution in adverse weather.

I beg your pardon? Coasting in Neutral is strongly adviced against even in the countries where the so-called "accident-rates" are minimal.

It never pays to race anywhere, for that matter it never pays to play anything. Moreover its not about what it pays for. People dont drive fast to reach early, they do it for the sake of it. But recall, not promoting street racing here, just making the pshyche clear.

Evil!

Overall, reading the article, I kind of make out the point that our roads be safer. Somehow, I read through it! Nice pictures.
I welcome your comments. However I have corrected some and have explained already that I have referred some biological facts.
Old 5th February 2008, 14:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I am referring to our reflexes. Human reflexes are surely deft in sports and warfare and driving a car in high speeds require complete and uninterrupted attention. Accidents happen when this fails.
People are able to drive above 30km/h because we anticipate whaterver is oncoming. Very few people drive purely on reflexes, and one can easily spot them.
Better drivers are able to anticipate how their vehicle be affected by factors such as ruts in the road, other mobile objects, wind, debris etc. While driving one, takes precautionary action before one is in a potentially demanding sitiuation.

Accidents, or rather crashes take place usually because of rash driving, not fast driving.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:05   #20
BHPian

interesting effects of red bull while driving.
i recently drove back from goa in a honda city exi. due to a difficult journey to goa [i kept dosing off and had to keep stopping along the way], i decided to carry 4 cans of red bull with me on the way back. i downed a can just as soon as i past the goa border into maharashtra and it kept me focused for another 3 hours. i finished the last can at wadkal [70 kms outside of bombay]. the results were amazing. i was super alert throughout the journey, my speed was consistent, reactions were superb and braking was precise. but here's the downside. as soon as i got out of the car [3 in the morning] my head started to spin. i was hyperactive and needed to walk briskly or else i would fall down. the inertia was unbearable. if i closed my eyes i could see the winding road under headlights. it was unbearable. i managed to dose off only two hours later and slept for 16 hours. but i think the drive was worth it!

Last edited by katalysm76 : 5th February 2008 at 16:06.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalysm76 View Post
interesting effects of red bull while driving.
i recently drove back from goa in a honda city exi. due to a difficult journey to goa [i kept dosing off and had to keep stopping along the way], i decided to carry 4 cans of red bull with me on the way back. i downed a can just as soon as i past the goa border into maharashtra and it kept me focused for another 3 hours. i finished the last can at wadkal [70 kms outside of bombay]. the results were amazing. i was super alert throughout the journey, my speed was consistent, reactions were superb and braking was precise. but here's the downside. as soon as i got out of the car [3 in the morning] my head started to spin. i was hyperactive and needed to walk briskly or else i would fall down. the inertia was unbearable. if i closed my eyes i could see the winding road under headlights. it was unbearable. i managed to dose off only two hours later and slept for 16 hours. but i think the drive was worth it!
Great one. Think this: We transferred from Kolkata to Hyderabad in Sep 2007.Kolkata to Hyderabad 21st to 22nd Sep 2007

All our belongings (Kitchenware, Clothes, Appliances = infact a House almost) were in our Opel (loaded to brim Dicky and Rear Seats), to mention the labor of loading and unloading. We drove non stop.

Result: The next day (after reaching Hyd) even after a night sleep, I could not stand straight, was getting a feeling that some mob is shouting into my ear, and could not pronounce words properly.
Old 6th February 2008, 01:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Are you a rash driver?
Doesn't matter. Well this one can cure you of

Take a test: Lets assume you are driving in the city with traffic lights every odd kilometer. For once drive at a relaxed and moderate speed. Let a seemingly faster car pass you. It should be a car that you would feel offended to give way to. Chances are that you will definitely meet it at the next What you do in addition is that is as soon as you see the cars stopping far away, get into neutral and let the car roll to a stop in neutral gear. That's where you save fuel and brake pad wear (in comparison to your rival car).

In simulation tests it has been found that it never pays to race in city.
I don't really agree. From personal experience, I prefer to be a fast driver. I see many people m[FONT='Times New Roman']eandering at speeds of below 30kph and then easily getting distracted by trivial things. When you drive fast, the concentration level is much higher which leads to better control. Maybe [/FONT][/quote]

I agree to the fact that when we drive at higher speeds our concertration is naturally higher.

Fast or Slow - It just makes sense for us to drive in a manner which makes us require lesser braking, like using engine braking whenever a slowdown is anticipated (instead of pressing the clutch (I was incorrect then, I admit))[/quote]

It's not just the concentration which matters, also the response time and the time require to stop the vehicle. The faster you go it needs less response time
check this out for more detailsStopping Distances

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks