Team-BHP - And now GM to take on Nano
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   And now GM to take on Nano (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/35134-now-gm-take-nano.html)

Another Nano effect.....??!!
GM may hike stake in SAIC to take on Nano- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

girish, this is something the GM MD believes in the right ernest. In fact we had a ramblings thread on the same when their MD said that Nano is no big deal as their chinese venture wuling can also make such cheap cars! Its only the next step in the process of realizing that belief.

US auto major General Motors is likely to up its stake in its Chinese venture SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co. The growing interest in the joint venture is the result of GM’s strategy to make cheap small cars to compete with the recently show-cased sub-$2,500 Tata Nano.

Wuling is an integral part of GM’s overall growth strategy in China, both in terms of product development and sales. The auto major is satisfied with its stake in the joint venture and the relationship with the two partners in China. GM holds a minority share in its mini-vehicle Chinese-owned Saic-GM-Wuling Automobile co.

When contacted by ET, GM China spokesperson Rob Leggat said: “Relative to the low-cost car, GM’s global product development organisation and strong presence in Latin America and Asia Pacific is well positioned to develop products for customers in these fast growing markets”.

M produces a number of lower-cost vehicles, including the Chevy Celta, in Brazil and various Wuling models in China at competitive prices, Mr Leggat added. “In fact, the Chinese venture is already building a car that sells for around $3,500. We can come up with lower-cost variants,” he said.

The recent launch of the Tata Nano has opened up a whole new market for low-priced vehicles and auto majors are figuring out ways to break into the newly-created car segment. According to auto industry sources, Volkswagen, Nissan, General Motors and others are all working on the low-cost car in the $3,000-4,000 price range.

Source - GM may hike stake in SAIC to take on Nano- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Looks like the whole world of car manufacturers would like to take on Nano (head on). :Shockked: First it is Bajaj, followed by Renault, then followed by Maruti and now it is GM. Just wondering when Ford will make the announcement that it will take on Nano?

WHERE ARE THE ROADS TO HOLD THESE CARS? IS SOMEBODY FROM GOVT IS LISTENING?:Frustrati

soon we might even have either a Mercedes N class (N stands for Nano) and the BMW 01 Series (01 being a series below 1)lol:

@ snaronikar : You forgot Maruti

@ Karandeep81 : May be Honda with Honda Village ( smaller version of City )

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicejits (Post 711907)
@ snaronikar : You forgot Maruti

No brother. I have mentioned Maruti but I forgot Honda though.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karandeep81 (Post 711891)
soon we might even have either a Mercedes N class (N stands for Nano) and the BMW 01 Series (01 being a series below 1)lol:

or perhaps -1 (minus 1) :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 711926)
No brother. I have mentioned Maruti but I forgot Honda though.:D

you forgot hyundailol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb (Post 711932)
you forgot hyundailol:

stupid:. Should have mentioned it. But they have never spelt out their plan of launching a competitor to Nano.Hoping for the same in next few days. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 711936)
stupid:. Should have mentioned it. But they have never spelt out their plan of launching a competitor to Nano.Hoping for the same in next few days. :D

they did mentioned "" public car "" to be launched

here is the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tata-nano.html

About Saic-GM-Wuling Automobile co:

Apart from vans, Wuling makes only one proper car i.e. the older generation spark/matiz.

There is one variant with a 796cc making 37.5 bhp. But, I don't think a stripped down last generation matiz will click with the buyers. And it will make a serious dent to the indian spark's brand value as well.

Links:
SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SGMW - 1025L

@ankit: Hmmm. To many players coming into this segment now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 711883)

WHERE ARE THE ROADS TO HOLD THESE CARS? IS SOMEBODY FROM GOVT IS LISTENING?:Frustrati

IMO Govt only solves problems when it becomes really acute. So, when the Nano roles out and congestion increases to unprecedented levels, Govt will have to step up and provide better infrastructure. I think finally Nano will bring the focus on improving roads like nothing else could.

Looks like Tata has given a wake up call to everyone. Good going Tata, but i see all manufacturers other then Tata are just speaking rather then doing anything about a Nano rival.