Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2016, 23:15   #766
BHPian

Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

Maybe they are launching it with the higher powered DI engine which was just launched in the Bolero MaxiTruck along with some minor cosmetic changes.
Old 10th June 2016, 04:56   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93000BHP View Post
Was looking for a Bolero and was under confusion of whether to pick up a new one or an used one.
Found a well maintained bolero and bought the same.
My thanks to all members for their valuable posts regarding the bolero.
Wow! Looks cheesy. Great buy! Mind sharing the more details like the Year, Mods done by the previous owner and how deep did your pockets burn to buy this beauty? Also, your ownership experience of the beast so far would help, as I'm in the hunt for a pre-worshipped one too!

Regards,
Vinay.
Old 10th June 2016, 09:13   #768
BHPian

How I wish this facelift brings in the higher 75bhp tune of the M2DIcr across the range including the LX 4WD. Would become a more rounded UV than what it is currently and with 4WD would become a great abuse friendly exploratory vehicle than many others in the market. Have always loved the bolero for its rugged looks and tough utilitarian purpose built platform.
tacho9000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:28   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Bolero facelift test mule spotted.

In terms of upgrades in the facelift model, it is expected to be restricted to only cosmetic upgrades while mechanically it might continue to be powered by existing engine options.
Lol, that should go to the jokes thread!!

Only in India, would you find such 'camouflage'. It 'reveals' more than what it 'hides'. What are they trying to cover up on the tailgate? Leaving the billboard size B-O-L-E-R-O on the side and spare wheel cover in plain sight!! I bet if they hadn't put these on, the Bolero would have passed unnoticed.

Is there a 'CMVR' law for putting such stickers on test cars that M&M is trying to comply with here?

Seriously though, this made my Friday morning!
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 14:11   #770
BHPian

Bolero sales have been declining over the last three months. Maybe that's the reason for the "face-lift".
Old 10th June 2016, 14:44   #771
BHPian

From the test mule picture, it still doesn't seem to get even stalks inside for adjusting the ORVM, let alone the electric adjusting type that is so common these days.
Old 10th June 2016, 18:04   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
How I wish this facelift brings in the higher 75bhp tune of the M2DIcr across the range including the LX 4WD. Would become a more rounded UV than what it is currently and with 4WD would become a great abuse friendly exploratory vehicle than many others in the market. Have always loved the bolero for its rugged looks and tough utilitarian purpose built platform.
. I too am a big fan of the very basic, rugged and utilitarian character of the Bolero. I own an X3 Xline, Duster 4x4 and a Thar DI 4x4, yet I have contemplated booking an Bolero 4x4 numerous times. What is keeping me back is the 63 bhp MDI3200 TC engine. I am so sick and tired of this engine in my Thar DI. Even the LCCR MDI3200 engine has the same power/torque specs despite having a common rail pump.

I just don't understand why Mahindra does this. They should atleast offer something like 85- 90 bhp and 22 to 25kgm Torque and rev limit of atleast 3750.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 22:33   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Just remembered reading having read an article in the Economic Times that Bolero is being tweaked to avoid the big diesel SUV Tag. The length is now 4.17 meters so the 17 meters will probably get lobbed of between the front and rear bumper. Also the engine is going to be mSparrow engine that power the TUV300. This way Bolero can meet the under 4 meter less than 1500 cc rule. They are planning a late 2016 launch.

This may explain the covered bumpers in the test car. Bigger changes under the hood. The mSparow engine is much better than the MDI3200TC anyway, so I think it is a good thing for the Bolero.
Old 15th June 2016, 10:34   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Just remembered reading having read an article in the Economic Times that Bolero is being tweaked to avoid the big diesel SUV Tag. The length is now 4.17 meters so the 17 meters will probably get lobbed of between the front and rear bumper. Also the engine is going to be mSparrow engine that power the TUV300. This way Bolero can meet the under 4 meter less than 1500 cc rule. They are planning a late 2016 launch.

This may explain the covered bumpers in the test car. Bigger changes under the hood. The mSparow engine is much better than the MDI3200TC anyway, so I think it is a good thing for the Bolero.
Wondering if the 3-pot engine will serve the purpose on this heavy vehicle ? Whats the point of having so many (TUV, KUV, Quanto) sub 4mts vehicles in the portfolio ?
Old 15th June 2016, 10:41   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Whats the point of having so many (TUV, KUV, Quanto) sub 4mts vehicles in the portfolio ?
Same as having 8+ hatchbacks (Maruti)
You get 11 spots out of the top 20 in monthly sales.

The sub-4m 'SUV' segment is where all the action is these days. And M&M is better placed than any of the competitors to exploit this.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:20   #776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Wondering if the 3-pot engine will serve the purpose on this heavy vehicle ?
Ideally 4 cylinder engine would have been better. However, all the 4 Cylinder deisels that Mahindra has is currently over 2000 cc except for the 1.99 Mhawk. The mhawk engine is probably too expensive to put in the Bolero range. This pretty much leaves no other options for the Bolero except for the mSparrow engine.

With relatively modern technology they are giving a 4 cylinder like output from the 3-pot motor using twin scroll turbo etc. The MDI3200TC engine that comes in the current Bolero is robust but completely antiquated engine. It is a perfect engine for the commercial/Pick up range of Mahindra, but definitely not for a passenger vehicle like the Bolero. For a 2.6 liter 4 cylinder engine power of 63/bhp and torque of 19kgm with a max rev limit of 3200 rpm is abysmal and pathetic by any standards. I have this engine in my Thar DI and on the tarmac this engine is a royal pain to drive. Due to lack of power/momentum I can't overtake any vehicle and when I do, I put my life on the line as it takes for ever to overtake even a loaded lorry. The msparrow even in the 80bhp guise as in the lower end TUV300 will make the Bolero perform much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Same as having 8+ hatchbacks (Maruti)
You get 11 spots out of the top 20 in monthly sales.
Old 18th June 2016, 20:56   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The msparrow even in the 80bhp guise as in the lower end TUV300 will make the Bolero perform much better.
Does that mean some "electronics" will creep into an otherwise trouble-free Bolero? :(

-- Torqy
Old 18th June 2016, 21:46   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
Wow! Looks cheesy. Great buy! Mind sharing the more details like the Year, Mods done by the previous owner and how deep did your pockets burn to buy this beauty? Also, your ownership experience of the beast so far would help, as I'm in the hunt for a pre-worshipped one too!

Regards,
Vinay.
@Vinay..
2014 Nov model.
Prev owner has installed alloys, modified the front seats for better support, rear seat back rest has been inclined some more, Wheel arches, audio (basic),hellas and horn.
So far no niggles. Have done about 4000 kms so far. Have got all 5 doors damped. Thinking of rear spacers addition to match the front track.

Last edited by 93000BHP : 18th June 2016 at 21:47.
Old 19th June 2016, 12:35   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Does that mean some "electronics" will creep into an otherwise trouble-free Bolero? :(

-- Torqy
Yes, it will. But personally, I think the trade off for more power and refinement is worth the minor risk of added electronics.

The Thar CRDe also has electronics and of the many people who have Thar CRDe's on this forum no one has had any electronics related complaints. Without modernizing the power-plant, Mahindra cannot meet future emission norms.
Old 19th June 2016, 13:06   #780
BHPian

Just a curious question. Why can't they plonk in mDI CRDe from the Xylo into the Bolero in the upcoming minor facelift, increasing its power and torque. The 2018 model can bring in the major changes, when they feel they are ready.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks