Team-BHP - Getz Prime - is it prone to higher number of problems as claimed in JD Power report
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Getz Prime - is it prone to higher number of problems as claimed in JD Power report (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/35385-getz-prime-prone-higher-number-problems-claimed-jd-power-report.html)

Bhpians,

I am planning to buy the Getz Prime 1.1 GLE within this month. I took a test drive of this car last week and found it to be pretty driveable in Bangalore city traffic and liked it as a package.

But I was taken by shock when I browsed through the JD Power's Initial Quality Study (Nov 2007) with problems per 100 cars report which indicated that Getz had 222 problems as compared to Maruti Swift's 116 (industry average is 133 as per the report). I already have a swift with me and so the only viable option I could see is the Getz as the second car. But this PP100 report is intriguing and I am now getting second thoughts about going for Getz Prime. Link to the report is:

http://www.jdpower.co.jp/press/pdf20...IndiaIQS_E.pdf
Check page 3

Please let me know if JD Power ratings are credible and if Getz is prone to more number of problems in its class.

- Karthik.

I have a getz 1.3 that I purchased in 2005.

Its run around 40k kms. (we don't drive much)

The getz feels a bit old when I drive it.

What i mean by 'old' is the gears shift has become loose and imprecise, the car rattles a bit, and the clutch has been problematic (the whole car shudders when the clutch is released.)

I have driven some older accents and they have a similar feel to it.

My skoda which is about 2 years older, still feels like a new car. I know tou can't compare the two different segments, but the manufaturing quality difference is very obvious.

They only major problem we had with the getz was that the lower arm in front failed and the wheel came off the axle.

It was under warranty and they fixed it free of cost. I don't know if it was a manufacturing defect, or some speed breaker was hit at speed.

[b]I really suggest you go to a used car showroom, and drive all the cars you have in mind. It will really show the car ages. I personally feel toyota, skoda and honda are the obvious choices if you are going to keep the car for 3-5 years. The next is suzuki. Hyundai comes last. (I don't have experience with chevy).

Bullcrap!

Ive had a Getz for 80k KM and some friends do too. No such thing.

Gunbir, you have the Getz. He's asking about the Getz Prime. We have been talking about Hyundai's quality drop - wonder if JD Power is seeing the same.

i have a couple of close friends who got a getz prime. 1 has a 1.3 and other 1.1 no problem so after both have around 5k kms in 2 months enjoying it. infact i find the getz back seat better than my sx4.
Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 718246)
Gunbir, you have the Getz. He's asking about the Getz Prime. We have been talking about Hyundai's quality drop - wonder if JD Power is seeing the same.

Horse Fart! My getz has done 70K with no electrical or mechanical problems. It has run with more reliability than off my dad's Corolla.

Our ownership reviews have given the Getz an "excellent" rating for reliability. Problems stated were also lesser than the Swift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplythebest (Post 718230)
I have a getz 1.3 that I purchased in 2005.

Its run around 40k kms. (we don't drive much)

The getz feels a bit old when I drive it.

What i mean....................

Thats an eye opener. I thought only Swift was prone to fast aging.

My Getz is 2.5 years,52k km old.My drive is 80% highway 20% city.IMO,this is one trouble free vehicle....absolutely reliable & so far easy on maintenance:thumbs up.My friends with Swifts have spent more on maintenance in the same period & have more minor complaints too.

I think he is talking only about 'Getz Prime' and not Getz. So any replies pertaining to 'Getz Prime' will be valuable. Also GTO, the ratings are again for Getz as per my understanding and not on 'Getz Prime'. I think it is generally known that Getz is better than Swift in build, but the question is about 'Getz Prime'.

majority of your replies gives me confidence to move closer to getz prime 1.1. Infact I had a strong inclination to Fabia to start with and that got completely eroded now (price is secondary, but the engine worthiness matters for me along with the servicing costs).

as i have a petrol swift, I dont want another swift and the diesel one has waiting period running in months. After my ownership experience of siena 1.6 (read it tata service), i am not very confident in taking up palio mjd either - even though it is going to be a gem of a car for sure.

so i wanted a premium hatch that will be easy to maintain and will have a good resale value, as i will be selling it whenever i find a new car (in next 1-2 years) that fits my requirements.

guys, correct me if i am wrong.

- karthik

ece2k2 getz wont give you a good resale value as the swift would . however it more than makes up for it in every other area . it has fantastic interiors and space . i have a 2005 getz and i have driven it around like an offroader and it has given me no problems . so you should not worry about the pp100 report . service and repair costs are also very reasonable . its only the resale value which should be a bother for you

I have a 3.25 year old Getz.

It may not be a very good data point because it has only done 26K.

However, it has been driven hard.

That being said, it still drives very well, a friend who has a low mileage, well maintained, OHC recent drove it and commented on how smooth it was.

If you are happy with the other atributes of the car, then go ahead and buy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbir (Post 718238)
Bullcrap!

Ive had a Getz for 80k KM and some friends do too. No such thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vittalnrv (Post 718262)
Horse Fart! My getz has done 70K with no electrical or mechanical problems. It has run with more reliability than off my dad's Corolla.

I've not said the car is not reliable. It is, and the service bills are not too high. (the problem with the lower arm could have been my mistake, but hyundai were good with the warranty)

I'm talking about the aging of the car.
I have a direct comparison with a skoda octavia and a toyota innova.

Both are slightly older than the getz, and have done more kms.

The getz 'feels' older because of the rattling(mainly boot pad) and gearbox.

But again that is a personal opinion. The best thing would be for ece2k2 to go to a used car dealer, and drive the cars he is looking at, to get an idea of how they age.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ece2k2 (Post 718116)
Please let me know if JD Power ratings are credible and if Getz is prone to more number of problems in its class.- Karthik.

Hmm. Lot of mixed reactions on this now. I think we need to have a pole stating that who would like to own a Getz and who doesn't like Getz.

Jokes apart, you guys have got any idea how these ratings are taken into account by JD power? i.e., do these people collect data from past 6 months to 1 year and then decide on the ratings or is it just a month's data compiled?