Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2008, 22:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

why airbags/ABS only on high end variants?

Just want to know why these are offered only on the higher variants. They are not luxury features, these are IMHO , essential items, which help save human lives

I would understand perfectly if manufacturers gave them as standard only on higher end variants, but cant they offer it as an option to those buying the lower end variants?

Are those who cant afford to buy all the gadgets they want to flog not worthy of these safety devices?
Old 16th February 2008, 22:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well its simple, due to higher costs its only offered in the higher varaints. MSIL offers it as a option on the mid variants of the Swift and there are hardly any takers. So was the case with the Santro, whose all the models from the basic to the top end variant had ABS as option.
Old 16th February 2008, 22:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

In the past most Indian used their car for city driving where you travel at 40 kmph or less most of the time. This did not warrant a ABS or Airbags. This legacy has continued despite the increase in average city speed as well as more frequent highway runs now-a-days. That is the reason why you find airbags and ABS only on higher variant. At times ABS and Airbags are not provided at all in any variant (Swift DDIS for example).
Old 16th February 2008, 22:32   #4
BHPian

Can ABS be fitted in Low end cars like Alto or Zen

Hi ,
I also had this question in my mind, why the safety features are not given in low end cars. I have an Alto, with Reverse Parking sensor, Power windows,GPS Tracker , with high end music system and what not .. but when I asked for ABS my dealer just smiled at me and the answer was " Sir don't fit so many gadgets, you will not get resale value!!!" who cares.. I will not sale my car.. I came to know from a loacl shop that ABS can be fitted but it will not work properly and there will be warranty problem so I kept away from that.. want to know from you all if this can be done?
Old 17th February 2008, 01:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Well its simple, due to higher costs its only offered in the higher varaints. MSIL offers it as a option on the mid variants of the Swift and there are hardly any takers. So was the case with the Santro, whose all the models from the basic to the top end variant had ABS as option.
That makes sense but it is still the manufacturer's responsibility to offer the handful of people who dont have the extra lakh to shell out for the top-end model, a chance to have these safety features if they wish to.
Old 17th February 2008, 01:13   #6
BHPian

Its always good to have it on the car, making it standard would mean increasing the base price of the car...
But do we really need them? One who goes once in a while on the highway...or drives often on the highway def needs them. Most of us driving in the city move around at less than 50Km/hr and a crash is more of a brush or a jab, as in , seat belts do take care of that....I know a guy who's car's airbags got activated in an auto-car crash and he got hurt on the face and burnt on the face, the air bag made him suffer more than the actual accident!!
Old 17th February 2008, 01:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

BUSA, it is not costs, they can give it as option.

Consider spark today - alloys, ABS, driver airbag in some 25-30k extra if I recall right. That is a bargain by any stretch of imagination - I don't understand why same cannot be offered as a option across the board. o much for their much acclaimed assembly lines
Old 17th February 2008, 01:21   #8
BHPian

Yes they are not luxury features, they are essential safety measures.
Simple reason it is not provided as STD parts is, because IT IS NOT ENFORCED BY CMVR rules in India.

Please dont argue about costs going high, dual airbags are offered here as standard even in Cheap sedan(but practical) 8000-Euro Logan in Europe, i guess it is having same cost in India.

starting Smaller cars are sold here between 6000-12000 euros, which appx same as in India with many more items as Std fitments not in higher trim leveles. Because they are mandatory obligation by govt.

Remember few years back seat belts were advertised as features in car ads.
Old 17th February 2008, 04:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
Simple reason it is not provided as STD parts is, because IT IS NOT ENFORCED BY CMVR rules in India.
If that had happened, there wouldnt be a 1 Lakh car woulf it!! seems like the govt is upto something.
All said and done, the govt should make it mandatory, to atleast provide the safety kit as Options.
Old 17th February 2008, 06:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
If that had happened, there wouldnt be a 1 Lakh car woulf it!! seems like the govt is upto something.
All said and done, the govt should make it mandatory, to atleast provide the safety kit as Options.
yes if govt makes it mandatory even 1 lac car, cannot roll out without it. Unless an "exempt a category/class" game is not played.

Like it is done in case of quadricycle, there is practically no mandatory obligation from govt in quadricycle class, it is undefined so exempted category so far, for even basic rules.

But in first place why our janta keep on saying "atleast as an option", why as an option. It must be mandatory.

you may need an airbag or ABS even in city, dont feel a false sense of security in city speed limits. For your Information most crash tests are validated at 50 Km/h mark, which is easily achieved in city.

Then why safety equipments should be an option, these should be mandatory, like seatbelts.
Old 17th February 2008, 08:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
yes if govt makes it mandatory even 1 lac car, cannot roll out without it. Unless an "exempt a category/class" game is not played.

Like it is done in case of quadricycle, there is practically no mandatory obligation from govt in quadricycle class, it is undefined so exempted category so far, for even basic rules.

But in first place why our janta keep on saying "atleast as an option", why as an option. It must be mandatory.

you may need an airbag or ABS even in city, dont feel a false sense of security in city speed limits. For your Information most crash tests are validated at 50 Km/h mark, which is easily achieved in city.

Then why safety equipments should be an option, these should be mandatory, like seatbelts.
I am all for Safety Equipment, but something says me govt doesnt want to make it mandatory, doesnt make sense, but who knows!!
And FYI crash tests are done at 40 mph, not sure what it is India though
Old 6th June 2010, 19:08   #12
BHPian

Glad to see such a thread here. Was just searching for a replacement for my Wagon R and during the process realised most manufacturers provide ABS and air bags on the higher end variants and sometimes as optional even in the higher end segs (The new Wag R and the Beat).

Wish manufacturers wake up and provide these as optional additions across all variants. I would not mind paying the extra 30-35k for these two features on a base version rather than spend it on the in-between variant on chrome tipped gear knobs, roof rails, body coloured - graphics, toe nails, nose, ears,eyes and what not!

Last edited by pranava999 : 6th June 2010 at 19:10.
Old 6th June 2010, 19:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I know a guy who's car's airbags got activated in an auto-car crash and he got hurt on the face and burnt on the face, the air bag made him suffer more than the actual accident!!
Can you please explain more about this incident, I am wondering how the victims face got burnt
Old 6th June 2010, 20:44   #14
BHPian

I guess the car manufacturer follows the practice of govt that only lives of the rich are important. Else we wouldn't be seeing cars without basic safety features, or chaotic traffic conditions, or auto and school buses over loaded with kids.
Old 6th June 2010, 21:16   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Can you please explain more about this incident, I am wondering how the victims face got burnt
Airbag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like a lot of things, airbags have more positives than negatives & hence are good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks