Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2008, 17:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry mods, this is . I'm replying since there has been a question raised against my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
What are the strengths? I see a lot of threads which discuss about the safety concerns, build quality issues and now the rear passenger feeling claustrophobic thread. I feel the DDiS engine to be the only strength as of now in my opinion.

If you could enlighten me with the strength of the Swift it would be great!
Can you rather enlighten me what is wrong with the safety aspect? Which small diesel hatchback is more 'safer'? Even the Getz doesn't provide ABS/Airbags, does it?

You are again highlighting only the negative characteristics. Please look at the recent team-bhp review/roadtest to find out whats so good about the Swift. And I don't have to justify the strengths here. By looking at the sales charts, it is understood that Swift is definitely not a 'bad' vehicle. There is a whole nation swearing by it. Do I need to say more! Now don't tell me that people buy it because its a Maruti. Definitely being a Maruti is one of its plus points. There are Maruti cars that don't sell, although they are very few.

Also looks are subjective. I love it. You have it. My previous post on this thread says, if people like the looks, they will buy it for sure. After all, Swift has love it or hate it looks.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 27th February 2008 at 17:51.
Old 27th February 2008, 18:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well said blue pulsar,and every time an opinion is made on the forum i find some one who just simply out of the blue cutting that statement.The reasons put down are purely subjective too.
ram
Old 27th February 2008, 22:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I'm sorry mods, this is . I'm replying since there has been a question raised against my post

Can you rather enlighten me what is wrong with the safety aspect? Which small diesel hatchback is more 'safer'? Even the Getz doesn't provide ABS/Airbags, does it?

You are again highlighting only the negative characteristics. Please look at the recent team-bhp review/roadtest to find out whats so good about the Swift. And I don't have to justify the strengths here. By looking at the sales charts, it is understood that Swift is definitely not a 'bad' vehicle. There is a whole nation swearing by it. Do I need to say more! Now don't tell me that people buy it because its a Maruti. Definitely being a Maruti is one of its plus points. There are Maruti cars that don't sell, although they are very few.

Also looks are subjective. I love it. You have it. My previous post on this thread says, if people like the looks, they will buy it for sure. After all, Swift has love it or hate it looks.
Looking at the sales charts it is also understood that the Maruti Alto has better respect than the Swift in the sales charts. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/710995-post700.html

So is the Alto better than the Swift? Wrong things to compare when a car is being discussed technically. I am not talking about sales charts here. I shared my views on the car from my experience in driving it.

But if i have to talk about the Swift it is only the DDiS engine which has impressed me so far. Then if you dont own a ABS version then its all the more weaker when it comes to safety and this has been discussed in detail in other forums which compared the Palio MJD against the Swift DDiS. I beleive the thread is still open to be viewed.

This would be my last post as its going a lot off topic. Sorry about that mods. I beleive there will be a thread comparing the Swift DDiS with PalioMJD from the 11th of March where we can discuss a lot.

Lets stop it here please for now!

Last edited by anachronix : 27th February 2008 at 22:16.
Old 2nd July 2009, 07:55   #34
BHPian

Reviving an old thread, but this is something thats bothered me for some time now.

What started a Suzuki design trend, with the Swift, then with A-Star and finally the Ritz/Splash (not that pronounced here, but still a smaller rear window) now seems to be catching up with others - e.g. Chevy Beat.

I still see the same cause a car designed as 2 door, being modified to 4 doors, with not much thought for the rear occupants. Specially considering India, where having a driver in not uncommon.

Could this be due to a Suzuki design (and the GM-Suzuki association) or is there something beyond that meets the eye.
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:55   #35
BANNED

The major reason for small glass area, is the weight factor. An area made up of glass weigh more than the same area made up of metals.

Eventhough car makers succeeded in making the steel / metal components lighter, they are not able to reduce the weight of glass (usable in cars).
Old 2nd July 2009, 18:12   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
finally the Ritz/Splash (not that pronounced here, but still a smaller rear window) now seems to be catching up with others - e.g. Chevy Beat.
Probably has something to do with the fact that the Chevy Beat and the Suzuki Splash share the same platform
Old 2nd July 2009, 18:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfhelm View Post
The net effect that I have felt from this -sitting in the Swift - is that the driver and front passenger feel like they are in a roomy cabin. However, this design leaves very little window space for passengers in the rear seat.

Add to that the really, really small rear window (with rear headrests up) and passengers at the rear feel quite claustrophobic. To me the interior feel of the swift was a huge turn off when compared to the fantastic view ALL passengers get when sitting in a Wagon R.
As I understand the main reason for this seems to be very simple,

Most of the small cars are owned/driven by nuclear families.
the number of people in a car at any given time is

80% time : only driver
15% of the time : co passenger (wife) and child (rear seat)
5% of the time : >4 passenegers

hence they make the design look as if it is roomier for front passenger and bit cramped to rear passengers as most of the time rear passenger is a child.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks