Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2008, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Compromise on basic safety features for cost cutting?

I always wonder why do most manufacturers compromise on safety features, especially in India for cost cutting purpose? I agree that that features like ABS and airbag are costly & would result in huge difference in the ex-showroom price of the car, but what about the following:
  • Rear seat Head Restraints: why are these not provided as standard features on base models of most of the cars. They are not ment for resting your head, but protect you against neck injury in case of rear end collision. Would cost merely Rs 500-1000 to the company.
  • LHS rear view mirror: again, atleast I cannot drive without having one. Is an important safety feature. Would cost Rs 250-500. If not internally adjustable, atleast simple one could be provided on all models.
  • Fog lamps: though fog appears rarely, but when it does, this feature is of utmost importance.
I guess if the government has made headlight beam adjuster as mandatory, why not the above features which would cost mush less comparitively..

akash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2008, 11:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fog lamps: though fog appears rarely, but when it does, this feature is of utmost importance.
Most cars fog lamps are just asthetic and give any significant lightning.

It is totally stupid of manufacturers to cut out on LHS mirror, i think all cars should have both side mirrors as mandatory.
Old 28th February 2008, 12:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree on this completely with you.the other things made mandatory by govt other than HLLD-head lamp leveling device are HMSIL-high mounted stop lamp,clear lens lights etc.
the best part is if the manufacturers make it standard then the dealers will save a lot too on the freebies end.
ram
Old 28th February 2008, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
It is totally stupid of manufacturers to cut out on LHS mirror, i think all cars should have both side mirrors as mandatory.
Not only that, it should be mandatory to use them too. Ticket should be handed out if they are closed as is done in the western world!
Old 28th February 2008, 13:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

I dont consider fog lamps as must for most of India. Other yes I agree but then we are a price sensitive market with most of the peopl not caring about these features. So as long as there is decline in sales of such models companies will keep doing so.

Many a times I feel its just to distinguish the base model ffrom higher one & got nothing to do with actual cost cutting for example how much extar could it be for a company to provide that extra mirror even if the retail price is included in cost of the car it will hardly have an impact on sales.

Quote:
the best part is if the manufacturers make it standard then the dealers will save a lot too on the freebies end.
ram
Lol I think they will loose since they will not earn anything by selling these as extras
Old 28th February 2008, 13:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey mag,who buys these,every one wants all for free.lol.Regarding fog lamps from a land without fog what i found was that it fills the gap left by the head lamps.We could see the medians closer to us in the event of an overtaking in a four lane highway.And more over standard fog lamps would harly be of help in thick fog too.lol
ram
Old 28th February 2008, 13:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

yeah thats true too
Old 28th February 2008, 14:37   #8
BANNED

What do you do about the jokers (often cops) who go around closing rear view mirrors of parked cars?
Old 28th February 2008, 14:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

LHS rear view mirror: It would take few more years for car manufacturers to have it as default on all models. Two wheeler manufacturers have started doing it now, it was optional 7-8 years back.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

May be OT-I have seen less people going in for a child seat.Once i came across a couple who had a small kid ,almost 3 yrs old.I asked them whether you need a child seat as an accessory.the answer was a blunt no.I took almost 2 hrs talking to them regarding safety and the risk of putting the kid in the lap or leaving him behind.They gave me a hundred excusses for the same and still refrained from buying it.
I feel all the dealers have to educate the customers on the child seats.
ram
Old 28th February 2008, 20:46   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Rear seat Head Restraints:
Funniest part is that people remove the headrests from the rear seats, so that they can get better view while reversing etc. Most people consider it as neck support rather than whiplash protection.
Old 28th February 2008, 21:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would like to add the center arm rest for the driver to the list that is already being discussed here. Though it doesnt fall under the 'safety feature' category, it does augment the driver's comfort, esp on long drives. It must not cost the manufacturer much to provide one as standard equipment. Yet another case in point is the 'dead pedal'.

Last edited by rr_zen : 28th February 2008 at 21:50.
Old 28th February 2008, 22:01   #13
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Most people consider it as neck support rather than whiplash protection.
I wouldn't agree that whiplash protection is required in the Indian context. How many of us ever get banged from the behind with vehicles at high speeds?
Old 28th February 2008, 22:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I wouldn't agree that whiplash protection is required in the Indian context. How many of us ever get banged from the behind with vehicles at high speeds?
May be, may be not!

Didn't one person in this forum very recently report a bus hitting him from behind when he was waiting at the signal? My friend's Pajero got smashed recently when a truck hit it from the rear, and the pajero went on to hit another car in the front. My old Maruti was hit from the rear when an amby just couldnt get the car to halt without braking for a kilometer. Just a few instances that came to my mind suddenly!

The only way you wont get hit from behind is to ensure that you are the fastest on the road! I'm probably not and hence i feel its needed even in india!
Old 28th February 2008, 22:14   #15
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
May be, may be not!

Didn't one person in this forum very recently report a bus hitting him from behind when he was waiting at the signal? My friend's Pajero got smashed recently when a truck hit it from the rear, and the pajero went on to hit another car in the front.
You probably won't get the whiplash when a vehicle hits you at 10-20 kmph from behind. It is more of concern in countries like Japan where you have vehicles travelling behind one another with considerable speed keeping a short distance in between.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks