Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Has time and technology blunted the (Palio) 1.6?

Interesting!

Tests - Fuel for thought - Business Standard Motoring
Old 29th February 2008, 15:34   #2
BHPian

Re:1.6

i have a Sep 2003 1.6; and to this day, infact yesterday, when i pushed the pedal (with the rpm redlining) the thrust and the grunt of the engine still brings a smile to my face

It has done so everytime in the past 4 years.

you just cannot compare the feeling with any of the other cars out there in this country (with the kind of money spent on the purchase).
Old 29th February 2008, 16:33   #3
BHPian

I read the article. Pretty nicely written. One thing one realises about cars when one drives this car (or a Petra or an Adventure, for that matter) is how passion can come into play in something so completely inanimate. Reminds me of a very old Bengali movie, (I think by Ritwik Ghatak) called Ajantrik, which was about a man's relationship with his old jalopy. I am not sure if there is such a word, but it is derived from Jantra, meaning machine, and here it means something like Non-machine... I suppose Ritwik Ghatak would definitely felt the way we do about our Palio's, Petra's, Siena's and Adventures.

You should see that movie if you can.
Old 29th February 2008, 16:38   #4
BHPian

Whether time and technology has blunted the palio 1.6 may be a matter of debate.

But whats dead certain is that it hasnt been able to damp any of the enthusiasm and spirit that its owners feel towards it!
Old 29th February 2008, 16:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Sure, if you were to choose the Palio over the Swift, people would call you silly, or even stupid. But they would secretly wish they were brave enough to make a choice like yours. The question is, are you? I know I am.
and my parents used to say not being scared of dark makes you brave..
Old 29th February 2008, 16:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Whether time and technology has blunted the palio 1.6 may be a matter of debate.

But whats dead certain is that it hasnt been able to damp any of the enthusiasm and spirit that its owners feel towards it!

Its not the car, but Fiat, which is behind this. If the company had handled it well, we would have had more and more upgrades and maybe Puntos and Grande Puntos and Sedici's available here already. And fewer people would have discussed the Palio. The fact that only one good piece of machinery is available, has resulted in a lot of focus on this great car.

But Fiat is like one of those classmates who used to come first in class, and everyone expected them to really shine in life, but they just faded away. Fiat had all the right ingredients in terms of product, but....
Old 29th February 2008, 19:56   #7
Team-BHP Support

Two of my favorite cars at war! The article is nicely worded and really puts facts on sheet. I agree whole heartedly to the writers views and the summary as well. I would choose the Palio for my weekend thrusts whereas for city commute, it has to be the Swift Diesel.

Going further, what puts me off about the Swift:
  • Top speed of just 160 kph.
  • Acceleration times. I thought it was at par until I read the article.
  • The window lines are over your shoulder and you feel quite claustrophobic to drive it.
  • I thought it was a good handler but stock v/s stock (tyres as well) the Palio fares better.
  • The rear seat is too cramped.
  • The boot is too small.

What's with the Palio:
  • Low end torque quite low but once you are used to the gearing you'll love the short ration box.
  • Peak torque and power come way too late on the rpm band but once there you'll never forget that sweet Italian roar of the engine.
  • Its more of a highway car than a city short thrust buster.

That said, I'll say that time and technology hasn't blunted the Palio 1.6 at least in India. Its still the fastest hatch in production. It still keeps up with the 3 box 1.6 liters. It doesn't employ an EGR to cut down emissions. It has zero blow by. And lots of technological advances that I have listed and will put across when I find that sheet.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th February 2008 at 20:05.
Old 29th February 2008, 20:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

FIAT Palio 1.3 JTD is something to look forward to.... in Formua Red.... yes!
How about a VGT to end it once and for all? FIAT?
Old 29th February 2008, 20:30   #9
BHPian

Lets wait and compare the Swift D with the expecting Palio mjd.
Old 29th February 2008, 20:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Lets not forget that "Engine" in the Swift is a Fiat engine (licensed from Fiat/GM, manufactured by Suzuki to be politically correct). So it is essentially competition between Fiat 1.3 MJD vs Fiat 1.6 Petrol as far as the performance is concerned. I think Palio 1.3 MJD would also be along similar marks as the Swift.
Old 29th February 2008, 21:12   #11
BHPian

Yes, this Palio love is something too addictive. It somehow makes you feel satisfied (even in a 1.2). I think the Palio 1.3D has so much to offer:

01. Fantastic VFM
02. Great looks
03. Really satisfying build quality
04. Lovely steering / gearbox / ride
05. Torque / FE / Economy
05. A real Cruiser

The only let down would be Interiors and F.A.S.S.

I still love the 1.2 over the DDiS in a lot of ways. Hats of to Fiat .

( Though I terribly hope not to get caught in the F.A.S.S hassles )
Old 29th February 2008, 21:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Palio 1.6 was the dirst HOT hatch in india .terrific ride and uncontrolably powerfull in cities for newbies.I had driven it for 120kms and had an exhilarating expierience all together.one surprise was inspite of the power i got a good mileage too.It was something near to 15kmpl.Sad end to a good HOT hatch.

ram
Old 29th February 2008, 22:02   #13
BHPian

"It's about those flawless Giugiaro's lines and the fact that this might just be the last of the hatches with a big petrol engine"

Now this is somewhat I told my brother while he was contemplating on a 04 nv and a Wagon r ... And to be honest he took my words for good and brought home the PALIO
But I seriously think a well priced 1.3 JTD would just make the swift look ....... (no words rom myside)

Last edited by Karandeep81 : 29th February 2008 at 22:04.
Old 29th February 2008, 22:09   #14
BHPian

Just one comment....If you dont drive 1.6GTX, you can't imagine the high this engine can give you. No engine in this price range can even touch this performance. I am proud to have two of them!!
Old 29th February 2008, 22:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Reminds me of a very old Bengali movie, (I think by Ritwik Ghatak) called Ajantrik, which was about a man's relationship with his old jalopy.
What you say is so apt! However although a car passion movie, I doubt the non-bengali population will be able to relate to it in the way we would.

If you look at the passion in which these cars were designed, its amazing. Simple things, just the pedal placement on a Palio platform car makes them different. Agreed, not what a non enthusiast will ever relate to. But if you were to practice heel-toe, you have the right pedals for it in the Fiat. The car appeals to the enthusiasts senses very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Low end torque quite low but once you are used to the gearing you'll love the short ration box.
  • Peak torque and power come way too late on the rpm band but once there you'll never forget that sweet Italian roar of the engine.
One good thing about that is, reinforcing my point above, there is thoughfulness in that too, when you upshift near about the redline, the "to" gear actually starts from a point you are reaching the maximum torque rpm. Though you will burn a hole in your fuel bills, but you will also make best use of your engine! Another point a non enthusiast will not like, that a 1.6 litre engine is rather dull at low revs. But hey! Change the gear and enjoy the fun, dont bother about the fuel money, you will anyway find ways of earning it!

About technology, well, what is it lacking? I dont see it running on carbs, even if it did, who cares?!!

Last edited by 1100D : 29th February 2008 at 22:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks