Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2008, 13:54   #1
BHPian

Are test drive cars 'Tweaked' for performance?

I have noticed this thrice while taking the test drive for Getz, swift & now spark! I have diven so many Swifts including mine, but none had the performance (in terms of power & acceleration) which the test drive swift had. Same goes with Chevy Spark.

While taking about the carburated cars, we all knew that they could be tunes either for performance or for efficiency. Is it possible with mpfi cars as well? If yes, I think the dealers (or the company itself) slightly tweak the engines to offer better power & performance in the test drive cars, basically to lure customers.

Dont know how far its true. Comments?
Old 21st March 2008, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

donno.

def not with tata, they use the latest to-be-delivered cars, so daily tuning would be too much effort

With bikes, again same funda. plus, i've seen variable states of tune across dealers.
Old 21st March 2008, 13:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't think so because if that was the case then what about the dealers who use new, undelivered customer vehicles as TD vehicles with their odo's disconnected?
Old 21st March 2008, 14:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quite the opposite in my case! The TD logan I had, couldn't cross even 120kph! I even mentioned this in my TD report.
Old 21st March 2008, 15:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even i'd thought this happens, but come to think about the attitude of most dealers, i think they would be least bit bothered!

Last edited by JayD : 21st March 2008 at 15:04.
Old 21st March 2008, 17:15   #6
BHPian

Nice topic,,
i think i would be of great help here.... actually was waiting for something of this sort to come.

1st company ford dealer - cars perfomance was below par as compared to a stock single owner .

2nd company BMW dealer - cars perfomed well but still a stock single owner would be better any day.

3rd company Porsche dealer - car perfoms well, actually as well as a single owned stock car.
Result a single owned cars perfomance will always be better than a demo car.
trust me... (says experience)
Old 21st March 2008, 20:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

The condition of the test drive cars depend on the dealerships.A good dealer would be having well maintained cars with the right amount of air pressure oil etc.So while driving the TD cars from those dealers we feel that its performance is better than a normal car.Moreover almost all TD cars would have low mileage clocked unlike the owners cars which again add to the perception that they are tweaked.
ram
Old 21st March 2008, 21:23   #8
BHPian

Considering a very small percentage of the vehicle buying population are interested in performance, i doubt it.

Here people also have the mis conception that if a car is powerful, it will have less FE.

Thats cause they are always cruising at 40 in 4th gear with almost full throttle, with the engine knocking to glory... especially m800 drivers.
Old 21st March 2008, 21:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

I dont think that dealers are that smart Good dealer will have well maintained and washed cars and yup some which have done good run in, might sometimes feel better, power wise.

Most of the times the excitement of the test drive and feel good factor might give this feeling, maybe
Old 21st March 2008, 22:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had test driven Getz 1.3 from Advaith and Trident before booking it.

Initially, I found the test drive cars performance better than my car. After second service, the performance has improved and I am a happy man. The car has really opened up.

I do not think the dealers are smart enough to atleast maintain the test drive cars in good condition. I find it important to maintain test drive vehicles as they are the best medium to sell the vehicle. The smart consumers are not going to invest on a car by believing a sales executive. Driving is believing!!

Last edited by PatienceWins : 21st March 2008 at 22:06.
Old 21st March 2008, 23:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think its all opposite, TD cars for Safari 2.2, SX4 and Fusion were in worst condition. Infact I wrote this comment after the TD of SX4 which then accepted by the dealer.

I hear the same response from all sales guy during test drive " Sir its a TD car so need service, thats the reason for all problems"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks