Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 15:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
1) When in your life did your first car?
Bought my bike in 93 with my first paycheck (on loan). Still driving that. Bought a car (Alto) when family grew to include my Kid few months back.

Quote:
2) Is car buying your first priority
No, first priority was a buying an apartment in Bombay. Bought a car when it became a necessity in family.

Quote:
3) When do you suggest first time buyers to buy a car?
When you can afford it easily. That is without stretching your budget. Now a days its easy to buy pre-owned cars even as a fresher.

Quote:
4) I see some people earning in lakhs monthly and still drive(or chaffeured around in) an M800/Alto/Santro/Zen. And I also know some people who have multiple cars at home...even sacrifice on basic needs for the heck of owning many cars at home. What out of the two extremes do you prefer?
Something in-between. Buy best car that you can afford without straining your finances.
Old 10th April 2008, 10:56   #17
BHPian

1) When in your life did your first car?

Gifted myself a Hyundai Accent just a couple of months back.. Its my 2nd vehicle..first one being a Pulsar 150.

But yes a first car is always a first car !!! I love my baby a lot .

2) Is car buying your first priority as opposed to buying property or investing like a traditional Indian does?

Yes & No. Since we already have a house, next thing in line was a car.
Had we not owned a house , then maybe owning a car would have had a lower priority in the To-Do list.

3) When do you suggest first time buyers to buy a car?

Depends on the earnings and also on the car one wishes to buy ..

I could have purchased a car a long time back , but i wanted to start with atleast an entry level sedan so waited and waited till i accumulated a bit more… so that I had to take a little less loan .

4) I see some people earning in lakhs monthly and still drive(or chaffeured around in) an M800/Alto/Santro/Zen. And I also know some people who have multiple cars at home, with each car having a car loan. They spend a huge chunk of their salary on monthly EMIs. Some even sacrifice on basic needs for the heck of owning many cars at home. What out of the two extremes do you prefer?
[FONT=&quot]
I would prefer being moderate. I would buy anything which makes me feel happy/proud for my possession or rather satisfies me (be it 2 nanos or a nano & Audi ) without burning a deep hole in my pocket .
[/FONT]
Old 10th April 2008, 14:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

My first one was a santro,used it for 27 months and sold it.Booked an accent viva crdi.Then heard of the verna launch.Decided to wait and bought an amby petrol for 30k.Sold it after 9 months when i got delivery of my verna.
Happy with her till date and more satisfying than the santro.
ram
Old 10th April 2008, 15:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

1) When in your life did you buy your first car?

Bought a Palio D in Sept 2004 with my own money (every single penny). The salesman started asking whether I wanted a loan from HDFC or If I had some other preference. The jaw dropped look on the salesman's face when I offered to pay in cash was worth it !!

2) Is car buying your first priority as opposed to buying property or investing like a traditional Indian does?

I bought an apartment before I bought the car

3) When do you suggest first time buyers to buy a car? E.g, after a year after starting to earn, after 2 years or immediately after starting to earn?

First year - I find bikes a risky mode of transport on city roads. You get decent used cars (M800) for 50k these days. Heard too many horror stories about bike accidents - Your life is more important than any thing else ! Walk to work or take the bus, if you cant afford a car.

4) I see some people earning in lakhs monthly and still drive(or chaffeured around in).....

Car purchased should be based on your needs, and not based on what your neighbour's envy/ridicule!!
Old 10th April 2008, 16:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

i bought my first car (used) last week - she is a 2003 Fiat Palio GTX.

No! i donot think so. i love cars and my family supported me when i bought "red sonja"

3) When do you suggest first time buyers to buy a car? E.g, after a year after starting to earn, after 2 years or immediately after starting to earn?

i bought my car 1.5 years after i started earning. so in my opinion - everything depends on whether you are ready to take the plunge with adequate savings.

4) I see some people earning in lakhs monthly and still drive(or chaffeured around in).....

i love driving and i will love doing the same. IMO it solely depends on person who drives his own car (or loves being chaffeured around)
Old 10th April 2008, 16:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Got my first car last year in May - Mitsubishi Cedia Sports

A car is a liability not an asset and hence can't be compared.

I got mine 2 years after I joined a job.

Its upto the person. I'd never let any driver touch my car. I love to drive and its something I enjoy. In fact I'd not take a driver even when going in a rented car. I just can't stand most drivers.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 10th April 2008 at 16:08.
Old 10th April 2008, 18:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

1)Being the petrolhead that I am, I had always yearned for my first car, one on which no one else could lay the slightest claim. So it was that I bought my first car after reveiving my first month's salary, in September 2006. Till then it had been friends' and Dad's cars and bikes. I had been dawdling over whether to get a used 800 or a used Zen, and finally ended u pbuying a spanking new silver 800. And by God, what a good decision it was . Blue Pulsar, youre dead on right, theres nothing to beat the smell and feel of your very first new car. I am insanely possessive about her, and never let anyone touch her with a brgepole, let alone drive her (except for the service centre guys, and even then I keep regarding them suspiciously!!) Thats how I am, and will be, no matter how many I buy, my attitude towards my car will never ever change. I treat her like a three month old baby!!
2) Oh yes, buying a car is the first priority for me. Given a chance, I would live in my car...ha ha!!
3)There cannot be a hard and fast suggestion as to when one ahuold buy a car, but as far as I am concerned, it is as soon as one can reasonably affors it, and not a monent later!
4) I really dont think its a question of the quantum of cars you have in your garage. As long as youre happy with the feel of one car, and experience bliss each time you feather the throttle, well I dont see the need of a second car. Of course, thats not to say that I wont buy more than one car at a time Depends on the person again. People might think it a waste of money to buy a car when they can save buckets with a bike...to each his own , I say!!
Old 10th April 2008, 18:49   #23
BHPian

1. I got my Sparky in October 2007. I worked day in and day out in Mumbai for 3 years and worked hard in Bangalore for 2 years before buying my first car. I made 1 lac down payment and my wifey is paying EMI's

2. Buying property and own house was top priority - my dad invested in property. Me and my wifey built the house (again I invested some 5 lac upfront and my wifey is paying home loan EMI's)

3. Depends on one's financial condition. But if one is buying on loan, then he should be able to comfortably pay EMIs.

4. I do not like both extremes. For me, I am very comfortable with my Sparky - fuel efficient, 4 people can sit comfortably, drives extremely well on highways as well as in city - hence no need for a bigger car or 2nd car. In addition we have a 2-wheeler also.
Old 10th April 2008, 20:01   #24
BHPian

I bought my first car (used) in April 2006 - she was a 2000 Lancer SLXD.

Car was my first priority.I earned the money for the down payment for my car.Dad helped me for paying the EMI

I bought my car almost after one year after getting my job.

4) I see some people earning in lakh monthly and still drive(or chauffeured around in).....

I loved my lancer and it was a great companion.It was driven by me and did around 21000kms in 18 months.I sold the car in Oct 2007 and the odo at that time was 1.15L km.It was a great car.Now I am waiting for my pearl white safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks