Team-BHP - Lifetime tax rates to go up in Tamil Nadu
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Lifetime tax rates to go up in Tamil Nadu (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/38154-lifetime-tax-rates-go-up-tamil-nadu.html)

CHENNAI: The lifetime tax on private vehicles will be increased from the present 6 per cent to 8 per cent from June 1.

Hence, the cheapest car in the country, the Maruti 800 non air-conditioned car (800 MPI standard with immobiliser that costs Rs.1,89,261.49 ex-showroom – indicative price from the Maruti website) will be costlier by about Rs.3,700.

Transport Minister K.N. Nehru informed the Assembly on Wednesday that lifetime tax was introduced for four-wheelers in the State in 1999. It was then decided that 6 per cent of the cost of the vehicle would be the tax. In neighbouring States such as Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, the tax was much higher, the maximum being 14 per cent. In order to control the rapid growth of private vehicle population and to generate resources for the various traffic improvement schemes, it was imperative the government levied a higher rate of tax, he said, replying to the debate on the demands for grants for his department.

Mr. Nehru said that for old vehicles that were re-registered in Tamil Nadu too, the tax would be a little higher and would be decided based on the age of the vehicle. A Bill seeking to the amend the existing rates of lifetime tax would be introduced in the current session of the Assembly, he said.

The total number of registered vehicles in the State (till February-end 2008) was 99,88,868, 10.73 per cent higher than the number last year. Non-transport vehicles – two-wheelers, cars etc. – accounted for a major chunk of the growth. There were 82.04 lakh two-wheelers on road and 10.93 lakh vehicles in the ‘other’ category that included cars and other vehicles of personal use. The total number of vehicles on road crossed a crore in the State. The growth of revenue for the department, from motor vehicle tax and fees recorded an impressive growth – from Rs.1272.69 crore in 2006-07 to Rs.1391.76 crore (till February-end 2008).

Source : The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : Lifetime tax rates to go up

This is just for TN right? Currently its 6% in Kerala.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 790193)

Yes. this is for TN.
I was waiting for days when we will ahve SINGLE tax across all states of India and we can drive anywhere with any state registered vehicle....
Tooooooo long to go :Frustrati

Guess all of us can head down to the Union Territories for our vehicle purchases!

The lifetime road tax in Karnataka is obscenely high (11%, 15.4%, etc. depending on the ex-showroom price of the car).

One reason I'm happy we don't have a govt. here is that there is no hike in road tax this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBlazer (Post 790286)
The lifetime road tax in Karnataka is obscenely high (11%, 15.4%, etc. depending on the ex-showroom price of the car).

One reason I'm happy we don't have a govt. here is that there is no hike in road tax this year.

Just wait for 2 months :)

The way congress going on promises like TN govt. giving free TVs, and other to continue, all the tax has to go north.

This we are seeing in TN. Free TVs, Gas Stoves etc... and now i think the beginning is raise in Road tax. may be more on the pipeline... :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBlazer (Post 790286)

Hey if lifetime road tax is so high in KA, then how come most of these imported cars and superbikes which we get to see in movies and all are registered in KA ? Wouldn't it make sense to say go to Daman or Pondicherry for the same ? :D

Wonder why we need to pay tax for stuff we don't have! For eg-Road tax,when we don't have any roads.All we have are "potholes filled with tar".

Taxes, taxes and more taxes. I don't think this will help in reduction of the motor vehicles. They cant expect that. If everyone is eligible to get TVs for free then why cant they pay and get cars! These illiterate bunch of people running the country will ask "Economics is sold for how many rupees a kilo"! In any way if they contribute to improve the quality of roads it will be fine. You must have seen how the CM recently inaugurated some "underpass" in Chennai without even climbing down from his TEMPO TRAVELER! Afterall it was an underpass and there was a big ceremony for it affecting the evening commute of thousands of people!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolffe (Post 790440)
"potholes filled with tar".

Na na. If they are filled with tar then there will be no potholes. "Tar mixed with gravel and laid in a filmsy manner resulting in potholes, craters and surface anamolies within few days causing serious injuries everyday to who try to ply on top of that surface" is good I think.

i really wonder why we need a govt like this.We are not benefitted from the tax we pay.To come into power they will offer all freebies to the voters.But then we have to pay for that.And for each new development toll and cess extra.Tax,toll,cess and rising prices.....These political morons need to be deported.They are living on our hardwork and sucking our blood.

Its already 85 in Bangalore IMO.JK dont worry it would be 6% in kerela.It is the will and wish of the respective state govt to increase the road tax and in some cases its daylight robbery considering the kind of improvements done on the highways.
ram

Can somebody tell me how much would the road tax be for a KA registered OHC 1.5 if transferred to TN -- thanks

Edit: i got the information - please go through the link if interested

Tax Rates for all Vehicles -* 2005

When I bought my KL Indica in 2002 it was still cheaper, those days it was a slab system based on the CC of the vehicle. I paid Rs.18800 where as for other B segment cars like Santro, it was Rs.14400.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 790193)

The road tax is being increased from the flat 8% to 10% for cars costing less than 10 lacs and 15% for those costing more than 10 lacs. Thats a huge jump for those buying after June 1.

Source: Restrictions on issue of auto permits to go

Quote:

Originally Posted by thangu (Post 1864091)
The road tax is being increased from the flat 8% to 10% for cars costing less than 10 lacs and 15% for those costing more than 10 lacs. Thats a huge jump for those buying after June 1.

Source: Restrictions on issue of auto permits to go

Oh is this the May Day present to the People who voted? :Frustrati

Does any govt shared how much they collected as Road Tax and how much actually utilized for roads? May be TN, it should be used more percentage than in here, KA. Where are they going? And slowly all road are going to be toll. Guess at that time we dont need to pay Life time tax lol: