Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 10:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Even though if this makes it into India, I don't think the 1 litre will make 75bhp. The 1.2 Litre in GP makes about 74ps. Also I don't think they will name it the Uno as that name tag has a lot of baggage associated with it.

But all said FIAT definitely needs a hatch of fill Palio's space or even lower price band.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:59   #77
BHPian

I am a contrarian here. I believe this is the right vehicle for masses. Powered with MJD it can be pitched against WagonR, Santro, Estilo and I10. It is better looking of all of them. If priced right, with FE engine options, It will be a hit.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:21   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
aaggoswami, Smaller Uno is not a car meant to compete with bigger Vista! If it still does comepete and lose, its okay. How did you get this idea in the first place, that Uno will assume a competition with Vista?
Price points made me assume that. Same showroom the customer will have this Uno and Vista. Both of them priced not very far from each other. Vista is also available with a small petrol and two diesel engines. For not so more much money, the customer will have a bigger hatch with more engine options and even Fiat diesel engine. Add to that the relatively proven Indica badge as compared to negative image laden Uno.

This made me assume that at one point of time or other, Uno will eventually be compared with Vista and not without reason.

Vista Tdi starts at approx. Rs. 4.2 OTR delhi, Vista 1.25 diesel starts at approx. Rs. 4.8 Delhi and petrol Vista starts at approx. Rs. 3.8 lakh Delhi.

GP 1.2 petrol starts at Rs. 5.1 OTR delhi, 1.25D starts at approx. Rs. 5.4 delhi.

So for Uno to really succeed, the price for petrol has to be lower than Rs. 3.8 lakh OTR, and for Diesel Uno, price of less than Rs. 4.2 lakh OTR will be favorable.
There has to be more than reasonable difference between Vista and Uno, else they will be seen as competition.

Pricing will be a key, but Vista is priced superbly, so much so that it offers more space and a bigger car for not so much money. As compared to Vista, even GP does not so much VFM, the reason why GP is having tough time finding customers. And IMHO, pricing this car well below Vista will be a tough job as Uno will have to beat Vista in VFM before setting eyes onto Maruti and Hyundai small cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
I am a contrarian here. I believe this is the right vehicle for masses. Powered with MJD it can be pitched against WagonR, Santro, Estilo and I10. It is better looking of all of them. If priced right, with FE engine options, It will be a hit.
Vista is already there doing this duty well. Pricing to compete with the above mentioned cars means that Uno will also have to face Vista as Vista too is fighting the small cars from Maruti and Hyundai.

EDIT : What I am trying to say is that Fiat will have to place uno in the market very very smartly. Vista is one hatch that is very smartly placed in the market. So unless Uno comes in with really low price tag competing Alto, Uno will end up facing Vista at one point of time or other.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 25th May 2010 at 11:33.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:39   #79
BHPian

Since in India generally bad looks is associated with good performance, this car might get a lot of attention if it is launched. And if it has the right ingredients, it could take off.
Old 25th May 2010, 14:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

At first sight, it looked hideous. But then sort of looks baby-Jeepish / Jimny-ish - a tall boy that goes more towards a Jeep than a Santro/WagonR. Maybe its the loud yellow colour that makes it look bad. I sort of like the looks now.
Old 25th May 2010, 14:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Since in India generally bad looks is associated with good performance,
Hmm.. there are exceptions to this. Baleno, Alto 1.1, Swift and few more..

But in case of this Uno, it is probably bad looks + bad performance which is in store for India.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th May 2010 at 14:44.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:39   #82
BHPian

Fiat right now should not be concentrating on anything but imporoving their A**, providing a better ownership experiences, better parts availability, having dedicated advisors for their cars and the likes. They already have the tools to crack the market-- Punto & the Linea-- two excellent and achingly beautiful cars. These cars are paying the price for all the follies that Fiat had committed earlier. So its gonna be a tough and slow road ahead. Continue with good marketing, mid life upgrades, get a better 1.2 engine, be proactive, not reactive. And Fiat will definitely have prosperous times ahead. And then we can start asking for the Abarth Punto!!!!
Old 25th May 2010, 17:45   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Fiat still do a very good job of keeping in touch with the customer and getting feedback at each and every step, its Tata who should be blamed for their sub-standard dealerships.
Old 25th May 2010, 19:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

End of the day, success or failure would be Fiat's. No use blaming Tata or anyone else. If you are in the business of selling cars, please also have service centres for them.

IMO this Fiat-Tata combine is all advantage to Tata and mostly disadvantage Fiat.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:55   #85

Looks horrible!
IMO, it could do pretty well if they name it different and put the 1.2L engine in it(It looks like a lighter car, so the 1.2 might actually perform!)
Old 25th May 2010, 22:46   #86
BHPian

Instead of launching the Uno with its questionable looks, it would be best for Fiat if they launch the current gen. Panda in India. It is the car which saved them from bankruptcy and it can do wonders for them in India also.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Instead of launching the Uno with its questionable looks, it would be best for Fiat if they launch the current gen. Panda in India. It is the car which saved them from bankruptcy and it can do wonders for them in India also.
Was it not the Grande Punto that saved Fiat from the turmoils?

Regarding the new UNO, this car could sell well in India, if pitched well against the likes of WagonR, Estilo etc. if Fiat can drive home the mini SUV/cross over image, then this could sell well, me thinks.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:50   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Was it not the Grande Punto that saved Fiat from the turmoils?
Yes you're right. It was the GP that saved Fiat from sinking - not Panda.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:56   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes you're right. It was the GP that saved Fiat from sinking - not Panda.
Generally speaking, it was the GP which saved them.But, the Panda helped Fiat in staying afloat between 2003-05, during which period the GP development was happening. So, Panda's contribution is no lesser than GPs.
Old 26th May 2010, 15:01   #90
Senior - BHPian

Can some one explain the logic behind the assymetrical grill design?

Last edited by poloman : 26th May 2010 at 15:03.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks