Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 10:03   #1
BANNED

SC asks Tata Motors to replace defective car

The Supreme Court has directed Tata Motors Ltd to replace a defective car and pay Rs 3,000 as compensation to the purchaser of the vehicle

Moderator's note: [FONT], [SIZE] and [COLOR] tags removed. Kindly ensure all external tags are removed henceforth before posting.

Last edited by theMAG : 14th April 2008 at 10:55.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

It only shows that consumers are getting aware and the law is supporting them.

Good for the consumers.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:28   #3
BHPian

this is indeed a good precedent for all consumers and manufacturers.
it is also heartening to note that the noise levels led to the replacement; indeed great news for consumer rights!
Old 14th April 2008, 10:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

For a company whose every comes with multiple defects after PDI this is not suprising,i can feel how much the customer has been harrased before he went to court.

Come on TATA,give us some Defect free cars.
Old 14th April 2008, 15:30   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Obviously Tata didnt leave a stone unturned and went all the way to the Supreme Court. Though I am not going to complain about courts increasingly becoming "pro-consumer", this judgement really gets you thinking, doesn't it? What was the problem again:

Quote:
Setty had moved the forum for refund of the money after the car had started making unbearable noise due to defect in clutch releaser within a fortnight.
This is a problem with most Indicas / Indigos (early morning whining). Did it really warrant a replacement?

Either ways, I'd rather that the courts favour us than them.
Old 14th April 2008, 15:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

This further scares me away from a TATA, so much for my Indigo CS Dream!!!

--

Does anyone have a record of the most(# of times & Severity) (legally) punished Automobile Manufacturer in India starting from Hindustan Motors' time, This can be made a new thread and will sure help all tBHPians to check just one thread for learning all incidents about Manufacturer Vs Consumer Courts.
Old 14th April 2008, 17:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
This further scares me away from a TATA, so much for my Indigo CS Dream!!!
Recently, Hyundai was also asked to replace a faulty Engine (Santro). More details at - Consumer court asks Hyundai Motor to replace faulty engine- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 14th April 2008, 17:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka View Post
The Supreme Court has directed Tata Motors Ltd to replace a defective car and pay Rs 3,000 as compensation to the purchaser of the vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Recently, Hyundai was also asked to replace a faulty Engine (Santro). More details at - Consumer court asks Hyundai Motor to replace faulty engine- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
No idea how much time it has taken in the former case. The later one seems to have taken over 9 years.
Old 14th April 2008, 18:18   #9
BHPian

"It also asked the company to pay Rs 3,000 to one Lachia Setty, who bought the Tata Indigo Lx car in February 2004 for Rs 5.58 lakh."

"Gupta had noticed a knocking noise in the engine of his Santro Car and low mileage soon after its purchase from a company showroom in November, 1998."

In the 1st case, it has taken more than 4 years for the consumer to get justice, and he gets only Rs. 3000 as compensation !

Even more horrible is the 2nd case.

I only pray to god that never in my life I will have to go to consumer court or any other courts.
Old 15th April 2008, 00:58   #10
BHPian

Good to see that finally justice prevailed and was not denied even after so many years. Its a positive thing for us as consumers, and high time that these manufacturers don't take us for granted and give our moneys worth in return.
Old 15th April 2008, 01:06   #11
BANNED

I think our very own Bhpian; DrPullockaran was also having a similar issue with Tata motors. I dunno if he has finished the court proceedings yet.

There's no specific reason to blame Tata alone in these kinda scenarios. Many wellknown other manufacturers were given similar verdicts and many cases should be pending against too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks