Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 18:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

I do not know about Karnataka but in AP they have a two step registration process. The first one is Temporary Registration where you get a yellow board with a temporary number in red. This temporary number is valid for a month from the date of the registration. The permanent number is stage 2. You need to get this done anytime within the first 1 month.

Now for stage 1, the dealers do not take the car to the RTO at all. They all have a computer connected to a RTO portal (some eGov initiative) through which they make the payment online and get a transaction number generated. This payment is tied to a temp number which they already have with them, printed on yellow stickers. Once the payment is successfully done they can deliver the vehicle to you and hence it is possible to register and deliver on the same day.

Of course they have to do this by 8pm after which apparently the payment can not be made. Or so I was told.

Again, this is the process they follow in AP.
Old 6th May 2008, 20:06   #17
BHPian

I got my VDI on the same day. It is in Chennai. The process is usually in the morning they take it to the RTO and the delivery usually happens in the evenings. I was given the Insurance papers and Invoice and was asked to hold it . The number is known the next day only. The RC book takes at least 2 to 3 weeks to reach you.

But though the car is registered, till you take delivery by signing, the dealers responsible. Usually it is wise before you take delivery .

I checked the vehicle, the previous day it was sent to the RTO and again did the same before taking delivery
Old 7th May 2008, 01:16   #18
BHPian

I paid for the no in the morning and registered the car on the same day and got delivered in the evening.
Old 7th May 2008, 08:58   #19
BHPian

IMO, Leaving the car at dealers place is not a good idea. I have taken test drive of so many vehicles that had speedo and tacho disconnected. Some dealers definitely use the brand new cars for test drive.
IF you have already paid the entire amount then dealer should not have problem registering the car on the same and giving you the delivery by evening. But, like everyone has already said, RC book and number plates take a couple of more days.
Alternatively you can get the temp. registration done, which holds good for one month, and then get the car registered when you are ready.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:01   #20
BHPian

one question.

if we like to get the car registered ourself (a good number).can we tell the dealer to give us the car on temp. no. and we will register it later on ????
Old 7th May 2008, 13:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
one question.

if we like to get the car registered ourself (a good number).can we tell the dealer to give us the car on temp. no. and we will register it later on ????
i don't think they will give the car to registered yourself .they will ask you to get the good number from the RTO office and the bill to register the car.if you do that you can register on the same. or even you can book the no before buying the car .i paid 8500 for a no and register on the same day.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:49   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
one question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKIYA_2K12 View Post
i don't think they will give the car to registered yourself
Of course you can do this! I had taken delivery on a temp number and got my Lancer registered myself from Nasik.
Old 8th May 2008, 10:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Registration

One can get the delivery of the vehicle and then go for registration on same day if the dealer, the MVI and the RTA are in the same town. Temporary number is not given by the RTA but reserved by dealers. Dealers usually collect the life tax from the buyer along with the payment for vehicle, remit the life tax at the e-seva centre, and do the rest of the paper work. The vehicle in question usually has the temporary registration number attached to it. The MVI inspects the vehicle, stencils the engine and chassis number and sends the papers to the RTA. So, if u are lucky and in same city and plan it properly, then you can send the papers for registration (no need to produce vehicle in RTA office).
Old 8th May 2008, 22:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri737 View Post
One of my friend is supposed to take a delivery of Swift VDI today. The car is supposed to get registered today! The dealer Pratham, says that it cannot be registered and delivered the same day. Is this true?
I got my Maruti Swift DZiRE delivered in Chennai on the day of registration sans the number plates.

Details in the link below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vations-5.html

In 2004 I got a Hyundai Santro in Chennai and in 2003 I got a Maruti Versa in Vellore both delivered on the same day (around 7.30PM) as the registration with the number plates.
Old 8th May 2008, 23:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
I got my Maruti Swift DZiRE delivered in Chennai on the day of registration sans the number plates.

Details in the link below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vations-5.html

In 2004 I got a Hyundai Santro in Chennai and in 2003 I got a Maruti Versa in Vellore both delivered on the same day (around 7.30PM) as the registration with the number plates.
I do not think its possible in Coimbatore. I bought 4 vechicles, my partners 5, friends 2, None recieved on the same day.
Old 8th May 2008, 23:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Yes, very much possible.
My safari was registered and delivered on the same day.The number plates were ready even before the vehicle went to the RTO.
You just need to know the dealer and the RTO well.

Last edited by nitrous : 8th May 2008 at 23:49.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:25   #27
BHPian

It is now possible to pay the money in the morning and get your vehicle along with the number plates( they use the sticker type now, no paints) by 6.00 in the evening.You do not require to know the dealer or anybody else , it is a routine job.Only the vehicle variant and colour choice has to be available with the dealer.This is possible due to online registration of vehicles ( at least in GOA)and in house tie up with the insurance company.you also get a choice no. by paying extra official money.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:12   #28
BHPian

what is the validity period of temp. number in delhi.

EDIT : i think it is one month. ???????
Old 10th May 2008, 01:17   #29
BHPian

I got my Accent,Bullet and Santro the same day..this was in uttranchal..

I believe the insurance is more imp ie It should start as soon as you buy the car.If u get hit or hit someone....

Also the dealer can give a temp number which he has to report to the RTO..They note the chasis and engine number and can issue a temp number..Some time they charge some money too for the same...

Max
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Registration is done at the RTO. It might take atmost couple of hours - drive to RTO & back, RTO inspection.
Delivery is done by the dealer after PDI (pre-delivery inspection). PDI might take a day.
MSDIVY - Mostly registration happens in the dealer's yard itself, it is not done at the RTO, I have seen this happening in Bangalore, the catch is, if things move fine you will get your car on the same day with temp. registration numbers but personally I feel it's unsafe to drive without the permanent number plates, so wait for another day and get it delivered the next day .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks