Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2010, 11:52   #46
BHPian

I have been facing the same problem. I tried checking the density (refer to this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ty-diesel.html). They do not encourage people to do it. My service advisor has warned me about kerosene adultration.

Worried!!
Old 30th May 2010, 13:29   #47
BHPian

density is also a function of temerature. so if the temp. is high or low it will very with in a certain limit . addind kerosene will definately increase the density i guess .
Old 30th May 2010, 20:43   #48
BHPian

In NOIDA, not even the COCO pump displays the density. In fact they have now stuck a piece of opaque tape on the display.

When the display was visible it used to show 801 kg/m3 all the time - day or night, hot or cold - for months together.

I think I would lodge a complaint one of these days.
Old 31st May 2010, 00:25   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Off late i have noticed that almost all fuel pumps in my city either do not display the fuel density or else the light for "density out of range" is turned on.

Could you guys please keep an eye at the pumps you are refuelling from. Could this be a SCAM? I mean could they be manipulating something so that they make profits?
No This Is certainly not a Scam Some Wise Old Man decided to Test this New density Module at Petrol Pumps And Poured the OMC's Money Down the drain The Density Displays Are Installed at Pumps With Automation As its Mandatory these days, The Only issue is the Company that got the tender is not up the task assigned and most of the times These Displays are inaccurate and faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post

.How does the fuel density tab help? I mean if its less, does that means the quality of fuel is bad or what?
It Only Helps If you take down the reading and then Check the dealers Density register and tally it with the Morning density The difference between the two should be of (+/-) 3. Anything more or less means density Mismatch.
Old 31st May 2010, 08:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Do you all check the fuel density while refuelling.I for one haven't even known that such a tab exists on the pumps display.All I do is settle my eyes on the market price of diesel and ensure that the attendent resets the litres tab to zero before starting off.

How does the fuel density tab help? I mean if its less, does that means the quality of fuel is bad or what?
The more the density (at early mornings due to cool temperature) the more you get for your money. Pumps buy fuel at a cost based on the density at a temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I have been facing the same problem. I tried checking the density (refer to this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ty-diesel.html). They do not encourage people to do it. My service advisor has warned me about kerosene adultration.

Worried!!
Exactly my problem. I travel 15km one way to this pump since they displayed the density which was much higher than most other pumps in my city (wherever they are working) Some are as low as in the 600 range but this pump always displayed above 800. Moreover i had a feeling that COCO pumps would give good quality fuel.

Its just since the last month that i noticed that the reading is inaccurate. The recent results of IOC (after all those nagging about making losses) also added to my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
density is also a function of temerature. so if the temp. is high or low it will very with in a certain limit . addind kerosene will definately increase the density i guess .
What is the permissible range in which the density is supposed to be. Any idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
In NOIDA, not even the COCO pump displays the density. In fact they have now stuck a piece of opaque tape on the display.

When the display was visible it used to show 801 kg/m3 all the time - day or night, hot or cold - for months together.

I think I would lodge a complaint one of these days.
Thats real Bad. Does that mean that these guys are trying to hide something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
No This Is certainly not a Scam Some Wise Old Man decided to Test this New density Module at Petrol Pumps And Poured the OMC's Money Down the drain The Density Displays Are Installed at Pumps With Automation As its Mandatory these days, The Only issue is the Company that got the tender is not up the task assigned and most of the times These Displays are inaccurate and faulty.

It Only Helps If you take down the reading and then Check the dealers Density register and tally it with the Morning density The difference between the two should be of (+/-) 3. Anything more or less means density Mismatch.
Just thinking aloud.
suppose i run a pump and buy fuel at higher density and sell it at much lower density. Will i be making huge profits? So in that case if i am a customer will i be losing my money by not getting what i am really supposed to. Maybe the fact that we are all tuned in to the Rs./litre funda and look at nothing else is helping them mint money.
Old 31st May 2010, 10:04   #51
BHPian

Permissible density range

The permissible range of density for petrol is 710 to 775 gm/litre at 15 degree temperature. For diesel, it is 822 to 845 gm/litre.

Check my following post for more details:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1842099

Regards,
Prasad.
Old 31st May 2010, 11:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
The permissible range of density for petrol is 710 to 775 gm/litre at 15 degree temperature. For diesel, it is 822 to 845 gm/litre.

Check my following post for more details:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1842099

Regards,
Prasad.
The Values You have Mentioned Are Incorrect, The Correct Values For density Are Petrol- 720.0 To 775.0. Diesel -820.00 T0 845.00
Old 31st May 2010, 12:35   #53
BHPian

At BPCL's COCO outlet in Chennai, (Mogappair), we get around 746g/km.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:18   #54
BHPian

My Replies to your queries are in Bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The more the density (at early mornings due to cool temperature) the more you get for your money. Pumps buy fuel at a cost based on the density at a temperature.

No Pumps Do not buy fuel at cost based on density, Its bought on cost based on Quantity. The variation due to Temperature for a Tank full is +/- 50 ml in absolute blistering heat.

Its just since the last month that i noticed that the reading is inaccurate. The recent results of IOC (after all those nagging about making losses) also added to my doubts.
Thats real Bad. Does that mean that these guys are trying to hide something.

Like i said earliar and would like to say again theres nothing to hide the automation guys have done a shoddy job and thier probes in the tank which check density are prone to breakdown.

Just thinking aloud.
suppose i run a pump and buy fuel at higher density and sell it at much lower density. Will i be making huge profits? So in that case if i am a customer will i be losing my money by not getting what i am really supposed to. Maybe the fact that we are all tuned in to the Rs./litre funda and look at nothing else is helping them mint money.

Fuel is bought on cost based on quantity its got nothing to do with density based costs. And the Dealers Are certainly not playing Kaun banega Crorepati With this density Theory.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
The Values You have Mentioned Are Incorrect, The Correct Values For density Are Petrol- 720.0 To 775.0. Diesel -820.00 T0 845.00
nice piece of information !!!! can somebody come up with density of kerosene and ethenol also ? both things can be mixed with petrol though .
Old 31st May 2010, 14:20   #56
BHPian

All the petrol pumps that i visit near my place in chennai has no desnity display panl;es in the meter. On my recent visit to sabarimala I noticed that almost all the pertrol pumps has a density display in the meter itself.

I am not sure if Shell petrol bumks in chennai has this display. Can some one clarify this for me?
Old 18th July 2017, 08:09   #57
BHPian

Re: Pumps with fuel density display

Filled up petrol from Indianoil pump on begur koppa road near bettadasanapura. Fuel pump showed density of 0.001 kg/m3. When asked about it none of them responded whatsoever.
I think sensor should have gone kaput. Not sure though whats going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Pumps with fuel density display-img_5803.jpg  

G-BoleroBoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks