Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2008, 18:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The day Skoda launches a 3 lakh car, pigs will fly!
I think everything will fly ! I guess this is what Skoda will call the PEOPLE's CAR ! Its quite impossible IMO to bring a car at that . Even with 100 % Localisation it would be tough for them.
Old 10th May 2008, 20:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Isnt the Indian Laura the Octavia abroad. Just curious if they come with with a new Laura. What will be the new Octy ?
There is no new octi as of now( till 2010 atleast)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I think everything will fly ! I guess this is what Skoda will call the PEOPLE's CAR ! Its quite impossible IMO to bring a car at that . Even with 100 % Localisation it would be tough for them.
True IMO too it wont be possible. I think even the lowest variant of the car will at least have an ex showroom cost of Rs 4 lakh.

Also if company saying 2009 dont expect it to be here by 2011 or 12
Old 10th May 2008, 20:57   #18
BHPian

Well Skoda is going to localize the Fabia upto 50% and then they say that they will launch another car in the 3-5 lakh range. Just means that the pricing on the Fabia(one partial segment higher) is going to reduce marginally and they are going to retain the extra cash. Smart..

If the 3 lakh car is a reality, the market is going to be flooded with Skodas(great snob value on the Indian subcontinent), which means we might have thousands and lakhs of snobs on the street
Old 10th May 2008, 21:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

It could very well be a Skoda variant of the VW UP which I believe has been signed off for production....designed in the spirit of the original beetle.
Old 10th May 2008, 21:03   #20
BANNED

A Skoda at 3-3.5 lakhs? If they ever do that then it will be much more basic than a base model Nano. Probably, engine and wheels would cost extra.
Old 10th May 2008, 21:52   #21
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
A Skoda at 3-3.5 lakhs? If they ever do that then it will be much more basic than a base model Nano. Probably, engine and wheels would cost extra.

someone in skoda should read this thread and realise where they stand in Indian auto market. They are going the fiat way IMHO.

A case study for Nissan and VW as i see them joining Fiat, skoda club as well.
Old 10th May 2008, 22:01   #22
BHPian

I have read before that Skoda, will be making use of the Volks UP(supposed to be starting at 2.0L to 2.5L) platform to build car of its own. I guess this is the car, considering the time line of 2010 it looks like it.

But the Sokda brand is not for common man, no common man will ever buy it unless he wants to spend further more on maitianing it. As if the Toyotas and the Honda's are not overpriced, we have even ultra-over-priced cars.
Old 10th May 2008, 23:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

My Skoda thread elicits Fiat-like Responses!

"Shaant Gadadhari Bheem, Shaant!"
(that's my favourite Takiya-Kalaam, or catch phrase, borrowed from Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, the classic among Bollywood Classics)

Sorry to go Off Topic, but I was laughing when I read the responses to my post! I thought only Fiat-related posts brought about such emotions (not to mention other posts where Fiat is dragged in, often unnecessarily, especially regarding A.S.S. and Swifts). It might be painful for a new Fiat owner like me, but it's also a lot of fun! FinneyP and Speedzak, where art thou?(please guys, nothing personal, lets just appreciate the lighter side of things! ).

Look, the news is true (Pg 25 in the TOI Delhi Edition, May 10, 2008) and the prices and the new platform are quotes by Thomas Kuehl, member, Board of Directors, Skoda India. My guess is that this is the Up! which will be sold in India as a Skoda and not a VW! The VW group wants to sell 100,000 cars every year in India, out of which 60% will be small cars.

Methinks, when they say a price tag of Rs 3-5 lakhs, they could even give the base petrol version a price tag of something like Rs 4.90 lakhs ex-showroom... so you could get it at the price of the Swift ZXi on the roads. Knowing what they did with the Fabia (I waited for a year and when the Fabia was launched, I realised that my 5 lacs would fetch nothing in Diesel except an MJD or a base Swift), I very well expect this. But, yes, it's still a choice. Even if the Getz 1.1s and Palio Stiles don't sell large numbers, still they do give a choice to people who are not buying a car because there neighbours have bought the same ones. All cars can't be Big Hits, can they? Some of them are still good cars, even if they are not priced right or they are not great packages at that price.
Old 11th May 2008, 08:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

knowing how Fabia went..it would take them 5-6 years to launch this car, it would be the size of an Alto and be priced at 6 L for a petrol and 7 L for a diesel.

icing on the cake would be - there might still be a few buyers for it!
Old 12th May 2008, 11:53   #25
BHPian

The Fabia! I saw one here...no there..no nowhere! Fate of Fabia is well known. At least in this forum there several people waiting for the Fabia for too long and when they did launch the price did turn off people big time. Now it is funny to hear about future launches from Skoda. If they dare sell the new Octavia as Laura they can do anything to fleece indian customers.

How they can benefit is by swiftly exiting the Indian market and saving lot of customers from the agony of the high maintenance costs of their cars. When I read the story of a customer in Autocar who bought a Laura and is visiting the workshop every 2 weeks for every kind of problems with electricals, mechanicals and what not it is really very sad. Even the same case with Fiat they are floating stories about launch of 7 cars in 24 months and all that but nothing other than the Palio is seen. Indian market will do better with the players who show some seriousness in this market (Maruti, Honda, Ford (off late) etc). Even Hyundai stuck with Santro for too long.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:38   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

WOW....

Finally a small car that costs 3 lacks and generates regular servicing cost of Rs.3000 to 4000 per service, forces use of synthetic oil to maintain warrantee.....And not to forget the clutch plate replacement will enforce flywheel replacement...

Way to go Skoda.

Once this Skoda model gets launched in India, we will be officially designated as a "developed country" where a common man HAS TO spend huge amount to maintain a small A segment car....
Old 30th May 2008, 09:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Skoda really seems serious about this launch.

Skoda to make own version of up! city car
Old 17th August 2010, 20:33   #28
BHPian

Time to revive an old thread as there is some news on the small car again-

Quote:
Skoda to launch small car with Rs 3-5 lakh price tag in 2012
NEW DELHI: Czech car-maker Skoda on Tuesday said it will introduce a small car in the Indian market in early 2012, which will be priced at Rs 3-5 lakh.

The company, a part of the Volkswagen Group, will also introduce its sports utility vehicle, Yeti, and a stripped- down version of its premium hatchback, Fabia, in India by the end of this year. In addition, it will launch a sedan with a Rs 6-10 lakh price tag in 2011.

"We had announced to roll out one new model every year. As part of this strategy, we will enter the volume segment and will launch a small car in early 2012," SkodaAuto India Board Member and Director (Sales and Marketing) Thomas Kuehl told reporters here.

The development of the car is underway and the company will launch the model in both petrol and diesel versions.

When asked about the possible price range of the vehicle, he said: "It will be below the Fabia... Our aim is to price in the Rs 3-5 lakh category."

The over 15 lakh units strong Indian passenger car market witnesses most of its sales coming from the small car segment and global car majors have launched a slew of new models in the Rs 3-5 lakh bracket in recent months, including Ford's Figo, General Motors' Beat and Volkswagen's Polo.

Kuehl, however, declined to comment on whether a new facility will be set up to produce the car or it will be rolled out from the existing Aurangabad unit, which has a capacity of 44,000 units per annum.

"We have not decided anything about production. We are open to sharing technologies as well as the plant of our parent Volkswagen," he added.

German car major Volkswagen (VW) has invested 580 million euro to set up a manufacturing facility in Chakan with an annual production capacity of 1.1 lakh units.

Kuehl said the company is expecting to treble its sales in the next three years, mainly on the back of the proposed small car.

The company sold about 14,800 units last year and is aiming to cross the 20,000 units mark in 2010.

Asked if the car will be exported to other nations, Kuehl said, "We never ruled out export... We study that option, but nothing has been decided now."

In addition, SkodaAuto India has geared up to launch the Yeti in the country within the next few months.

"We will launch the vehicle as a completely knocked-down unit from our plant. The price has not been fixed, but it will be competitive," Kuehl said.

Skoda had unveiled the SUV at the Geneva Motor Show last year and it was introduced in the European markets with both petrol and diesel engines.

On plans for a low-cost version of the Fabia, Kuehl said: "We will launch a refurbished Fabia in both petrol and diesel options during the last quarter of this year. It will be more competitive than the existing one."

The company currently sells a diesel variant of the Fabia for Rs 6-7.84 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). It had phased out the petrol option of the Fabia due to non-compatibility with Bharat Stage-IV emission norms.

Kuehl said the company will also introduce an entry level sedan in the country next year.

"We have phased out Octavia due to stricter emission norms," he said, adding that it will be replaced by the new entry level sedan, which will come with a price tag of Rs 6-10 lakh.

The company will produce the car at VW's Chakan unit and it will share technologies with the parent's latest sedan, Vento, he added.

Source - Skoda to launch small car with Rs 3-5 lakh price tag in 2012 - Automobiles - Auto - News By Industry - News - The Economic Times

So we have news on a cheaper version fo Fabia and a lower segment car.
The more mass market they go the more they will have to think of after sales and reach. Hope they rectify their nagging issues.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 17th August 2010 at 20:35.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Time to revive an old thread as there is some news on the small car again-

Source - Skoda to launch small car with Rs 3-5 lakh price tag in 2012 - Automobiles - Auto - News By Industry - News - The Economic Times

So we have news on a cheaper version fo Fabia and a lower segment car.
The more mass market they go the more they will have to think of after sales and reach. Hope they rectify their nagging issues.
Stipped out version of the Fabia ! If we take its 'active' model into reference, all that can be reduced from that are the airbags. That model didnt have anything else that can be really taken out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks