Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 12:08   #1
BHPian

Dzire Vxi & Vdi - keyless entry to be discontinued!

This is what the dealer told me - keyless entry (remote central locking) is discontinued in Dzire Vxi & Vdi w.e.f 1st May 2008. Was a shock for me as I have my Dzire Vxi in the booking line.

Coudnt believe this untill I saw the specifications on maruti's web site here: :: Maruti :: Swift Dzire ::

Click on 'Safety & Security' tab on the link above!

Last edited by akash_m : 12th May 2008 at 12:10.
Old 12th May 2008, 12:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Akash, don't be so disappointed.
All that they are not offering is the REMOTE; you would still have the Central Locking.
To make it remote controllable, get it done from the Dealer (no warranty issues). It'll be quite simple - he'll have to replace only ONE actuator - the one in the driver's door.
I don't know which keyless entry system Maruti use, but if it is Nippon, the Nippon chap can even fit this for you at home (arrange it through the dealer & get it billed).
These remote thingys are just 'gimmicks' really. The most important one is there on ALL Maruti cars - the iCATS system! This anti-theft system does not yet seem to have been cracked by our car thieves!
Cheers.
Old 12th May 2008, 12:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
- keyless entry (remote central locking) is discontinued in Dzire Vxi & Vdi w.e.f 1st May 2008. Was a shock for me as I have my Dzire Vxi in the booking line.
Pardon my ignorance, but was it there in the first place?? As from the website, the keyless entry feature is only present on the topend Zxi and the Zdi. I think it must be optional for Vxi and Vdi. Ram_hyundai can answer this.

dhaval
Old 12th May 2008, 12:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the Remote feature is exclusive to the top end ZXi and ZDi. The VXi and VDi have always had the central locking feature and not the keyless.

One of my neighbours brought the DEZire VDi and it was one the first ones. They also do not have the keyless entry thing.
Old 12th May 2008, 12:41   #5
BHPian

yes the feature is there in vdi/vxi.it is mentioned in the brochure.

you have to download it from the website.
Old 12th May 2008, 12:59   #6
BHPian

The issue isnt so much getting it as spending an extra 5.5k on it on the MGA version - something that does pinch more if you werent planning on spending it.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
The issue isnt so much getting it as spending an extra 5.5k on it on the MGA version - something that does pinch more if you werent planning on spending it.
Is it so difficult to live without it?
I haven't got it installed on my WagonR LXi.
The security aspect is covered with the iCATS; what really is so crucial about the keyless entry? Or is 'keyless' being also confused with additional security?
If anything, the keyless is a compromise to security.

Last edited by anupmathur : 12th May 2008 at 13:23.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The security aspect is covered with the iCATS; what really is so crucial about the keyless entry? Or is 'keyless' being also confused with additional security?
The point is not whether you can or cannot live without it. Its more about you booking a vehicle assuming that its going to have this feature and then the feature being changed without any compensatory change in price.

That apart, the car alarm does have some uses in protecting the interiors of the car. It at lease prevents the window smash type of break ins, although it is quite inadequate against more sophisticated theives
Old 12th May 2008, 14:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Anup, I beg to differ you on this. It isnt all that difficult to live without it as mentioned, but remote locking has its own advantages. Besides, it costs about Rs 5k for retrofitting the same from the dealer. Few advantages are listed below:
  • I remotely unlock & lock my swift from my house (4th floor) when the 'car cleaner' wants to clean the car from inside on Sundays. I dont need to hand over the 'Keys' to him.
  • AFAIK the panic alarm (when someone tries to intrude your car) also comes with keyless entry only. The iCATS may save my car from starting , but will not save my stereo and other accessories inside the car.
  • I can find my car in crowded parking areas using the remote.
  • I can check if I forgot to lock the car from a distance in public parkings.
and there are many more...
Old 12th May 2008, 18:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

OK, I grant that.
However, what I have been witnessing here in Delhi is that all kinds of thefts are taking place - car stereos, goods lying inside, spare wheels etc..
Somehow, the alarms are not triggered!
And window break would only trigger the alarm if a 'motion sensor' is fitted, which I am finding has become a rather unpopular item due to the number of 'false' alarms it gives. People leaning heavily on your car, stray cattle brushing past your car, and a host of other 'triggers' in a congested metro have led to most people not getting a motion sensor fitted.

Other points you have mentioned are all valid, but please bear in mind that there are plenty of remote 'code grabbers' in use and they really compromise your car's security, unless your car has iCATS.

Last edited by anupmathur : 12th May 2008 at 18:24.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:55   #11
BHPian

WOW!!!
My DZire VDi was delivered on 30th April, 2008. I really was lucky, mine came with a remote.
MUL is running short on remotes as well? I was reading that they don't have sufficient ABS kits, thats why ZXi and ZDi models are getting waiting period of around an year.
SUCKS!!!
Old 29th July 2008, 15:23   #12
BHPian

guys,have confirmed with my dealer.

the DZire still has the keyless entry feature.
Old 29th July 2008, 15:59   #13
BHPian

I can confirm that too.
A friend of mine bought the car 15 days ago.
He got the keyless entry.
VXi and VDi models do still have the keyless entry.
Old 29th July 2008, 17:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi anupmathur,

> And window break would only trigger the alarm if a 'motion sensor' is fitted,
> which I am finding has become a rather unpopular item due to the number of > 'false' alarms it gives. People leaning heavily on your car, stray cattle

The 'false' alarms are the bane of the 'impact sensor' part, the sensitivity of which can be adjusted to eliminate most of the 'false' alarms.

The 'motion' sensors are additional fittings which detect motion inside the car and trigger the alarm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks