Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Norms that should be set for the Indian automotive Industry?

Folks,

I was just wondering what norms should be set for the Indian automotive industry by the govt. of India? Some of the norms and compulsions that I could think of are:
  • Make it mandatory to have seat belts and hard tops in auto rickshaws. Bikers have to wear helmets, car drivers and passengers seat belts then why is it that passengers who travel in a rick are left at the mercy of rick drivers and their luck? I know this would push the prices of the ricks but again, safety comes at a price.
  • Cars being manufactured in India to have a minimum localization limit. Cars like Fabia which have just 20% localization makes it a over priced hatch.
  • ABS / Air Bags. I know most of the manufactures are offering these as options. But then the govt should make them mandatory.
  • Speed up the process of issuing RC books which takes a lot of time. It gives the RTOs to make some quick bucks stating that the documents are missing.
  • Just scrap old commercial/private vehicles which are not road worthy. I see a lot of repainted TN/KL transferred to MH buses, that are now plying on the roads of mumbai and being used by IT companies as their transport. It's unsafe to travel in such buses.
I know, I am day dreaming. But, aren't we and the govt responsible to take initiatives for the safety of its citizens who travel on the road everyday?
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:34   #2
BHPian

There is too much of stake for the RTO officials to take such steps at one go.
Also honking should be banned except for emergencies, it is clearly a very big problem in india. People honk for unnecessary reasons. I definitely agree that air bags and ABS should be made mandatory in India but then again it will increase cost for the consumer, as we are awaiting the launch of Nano, all these standards will not be possible in 1 lakh rupees. Also issuance of driving licence in our country is a big flawed process. People with no experience of driving get to drive commercial vehicles, which is very dangerous. Anyways lets hope the govt. wakes up to all these problems and does something about it.
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

What you are demanding has to do with the basic thinking level of every Indian. Is this low level thinking that is the biggest culprit. Many cars have seatbelts, but what is the percentage of those being used ? We have to use horn a lot, because there are people who think this was the road gifted to them.

For making the great Indian government do what we want we must be united in this.

1 ) Why would the government pass such a law unless we demanded ? And aren't the three wheeler manufacturers are also to be blamed ?
2) For that we Indians need to give high quality parts as necessacity and not luxury.
3) First we need to have crash testing as stantard procedure before any model can hit the market.
4) Has the government made any serious effort to improve the infrastructure of the whole country ? public transport ? This wont be done unless the good voice comes up.
5) Immpossible, and why should old private vehicles be scraped. The owner needs it and he/she cannot afford to get a new one. Pay the price of a similar product avaliable now and then take the old one.

Your concern is clear, but its not possible that things improve.
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
What you are demanding has to do with the basic thinking level of every Indian. Is this low level thinking that is the biggest culprit. Many cars have seatbelts, but what is the percentage of those being used ? We have to use horn a lot, because there are people who think this was the road gifted to them.

For making the great Indian government do what we want we must be united in this.

1 ) Why would the government pass such a law unless we demanded ? And aren't the three wheeler manufacturers are also to be blamed ? Unless the manufactures are penalized by the govt, they won't listen. I remember some minsiters present for the launch ceremony of the TVS King rickshaws. Didn't they ask about it?
2) For that we Indians need to give high quality parts as necessacity and not luxury. Agreed
3) First we need to have crash testing as stantard procedure before any model can hit the market. Spot on. absolutely necessary so that our lives can be made safer.
4) Has the government made any serious effort to improve the infrastructure of the whole country ? public transport ? This wont be done unless the good voice comes up. aren't they? I guess Metros, road widening, golden quadilateral project, expressways etc etc.
5) Immpossible, and why should old private vehicles be scraped. The owner needs it and he/she cannot afford to get a new one. Pay the price of a similar product avaliable now and then take the old one. If the owner needs it, they should also maintain it. They cannot just drive junk machines and put everyone's life at stake.

Your concern is clear, but its not possible that things improve.
It is possible if we all take the efforts. Just the way we are discussing about increase in fuel prices, a general awareness spread through papers, media and mouth of word.

Last edited by amtak : 3rd June 2008 at 11:30.
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:43   #5
BHPian

Make it mandatory for all cars to go through a safety rating system like Euro-NCAP

Make it mandatory for cars manufacturers to provide safety features like ABS/Airbags as an option for each and every variant of their car, and not just the most expensive one. For example if I dont need integrated stereo, defogger, parking assist etc I should still be able to buy safety features on a lower end variant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks