Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 22:51   #1
BHPian

kerb weight of vehicles - swift vs palio

My current car is a Swift LDi which has a kerb weight of 1065 kg. My previous car was a Fiat Siena 1.6 (retro palio shape with boot). From my understanding the Palio Stile Multijet has the build quality pretty close to that of the retro Palio and the Palio Stile Multijet also has a kerb weight of 1065 kg.

Both Swift LDi & Palio Stile Multijet have the same engine and so the engine weight does not make the difference. I feel that (and many of the forum members do endorse that) the sheet metal, plastics, etc. of Swift LDi are pretty light compared to Palio range (including Palio Stile Multijet) and this is very evident from the effort needed to move the doors, bonnet, etc in case of Swift vs Palio.

If this is the case, I am not sure how exactly Swift and Palio diesels weigh the same as I expect Swift should weigh pretty less compared to Palio Stile. If the Swift has light weight visible body parts/panels, then does that mean that some other concealed parts of Swift are heavy to make up the weight ?

Please give your comments friends.

- SKB.
Old 8th June 2008, 22:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes. The chassis is probably a lot heavier. The outside sheet metal is not an indicator of how strong body members are.
Old 8th June 2008, 23:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Yes. The chassis is probably a lot heavier. The outside sheet metal is not an indicator of how strong body members are.
So, if we term build quality, then how important is the chassis weight in the life and ability of a car ?

Though being a Swift owner, I thoroughly accept that the Swift does not seem as well built as a retro palio. Is our perception true or does it lack the depth ?
Old 8th June 2008, 23:02   #4
BHPian

Since the Swift is a much newer design and the fact that it was designed with sporty handling in mind, the chassis should be much more stiffer than the Palio's. Hence the weight saved in the sheet metal is balanced out by the chassis.
Old 8th June 2008, 23:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
So, if we term build quality, then how important is the chassis weight in the life and ability of a car ?
If you consider worn out cars, you'll most often find that they've disintegrated because of their poor build quality. However, most still retain their chassis rigidity. So it may be safe to assume that most cars have durable chassis and it is seldom a cause of worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Though being a Swift owner, I thoroughly accept that the Swift does not seem as well built as a retro palio. Is our perception true or does it lack the depth ?
Well, its is pretty obvious that the Palio (including the Stile) is an overall better built car than the Swift.

I don't think that there is anything wrong in your perception. I've seen several Palios (Adventures/Sienas/Palio D) etc completing 1.25L kms and still holding up amazing well! The same cann't be said about MUL products. The used car market is a great eye opener in this matter. Just visit one and try to compare a 2001 model Palio and a similar model Suzuki.

However, the assumption that Palio is more safer than Swift just because it has better metal body would be completely wrong.

The Swift would've been an a fantastic car if it had great build quality (the built to last feeling )
Old 8th June 2008, 23:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
I I've seen several Palios (Adventures/Sienas/Palio D) etc completing 1.25L kms and still holding up amazing well! The same cann't be said about MUL products.

i have a 1.36.512 km done zen and its still holding up pretty well

it not how a car is built but how the car is driven and maintained

but i agree the palios tend to hold up much better

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks