Corolla
Innova
Santro
Honda City ZX
Ford Endeavour
MB C-Class
Old 18th June 2008, 17:15   #18
BHPian

Very interesting chart this. I don't think we should take this too seriously but I guess that we all agree on the results generally.

A few point to be noted here:

01. "Midsize" segment cars seem very even in terms reliability. You can't really claim that the City is far more reliable than the Accent.

02. TATA / M&M / HM: Are still unreliable.

03. Fiat: Is Palio unreliable or suffers from poor A.S.S? Can the survey distinguish them?

04. M&M seems more unreliable than TATA!!!

05. Tavera is reliable ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
the range of cars in a company are all as reliable as the other.
Do you think so? With Santro at the top of its segment and Sonata at the bottom! Or are you suggesting that Santro and Sonata are equal in terms of reliability?
Old 18th June 2008, 17:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Less No of problems != dependablity. Your car might have a lot of problems - rattling door panels, stiff seatbelts, things like that , but it can still be dependable...
Old 18th June 2008, 17:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

it has to be M800 ..... we used one for 1.3lac kms from 1984 to 1996 and it never breakdown anywhere, money spend on the car was almost nill , car was service at home lol ...... was used on very bad roads mostly on highways and villages(it was in ranchi bihar so you can understand situation of the roads that time) still it never let us down

the time it was sold the body has gone little wide because of the load we carried on it time to time lol ..... i have seen 130kmph+ on that car and used to give us 23-24kmpl on highways

edit: even at the time of selling there wasn't any rust on the car, if i can i wud buy it back again :(

Last edited by Rahulkool : 18th June 2008 at 17:29.
Old 18th June 2008, 17:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
This is about J D Power Asia Pacific 2008 survey. How can this thread decide India's most dependable car?
When you first saw the list and thought it was ranked in order of dependability and saw the City to be near the bottom, you did not find this survey decisive.

But then you dug deeper and when you saw that it was segment-wise and NHC led its segment, the survey does not seem indecisive anymore. Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60
now i am totally surprised to find the swift first in the list i am kind of sure at least 30 owners would complain of the rattling problems, i think this rating is totally biased.
Well, as greenhorn mentioned, dependability is not about rattles. Also, unlike tbhp-ians, I dont think the average Joe makes innumerable visits to the A.S.S. to get rattles fixed or do damping, which must be why they did not figure in 'problems faced'. The survey would have taken into account the reasons/problems due to which people took their cars to A.S.S. and then arrived at the ranking based on number of such problems per car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
IMO, Innova should be above swift in terms of reliability/dependability else the study is flawed.
Reliability/dependability is not about rattles. Also, the Innova and Swift are in different segments dude - so no direct comparison here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
Less No of problems != dependablity. Your car might have a lot of problems - rattling door panels, stiff seatbelts, things like that , but it can still be dependable...
Yes. I think this is what the survey is about.

Anyway, as long as you are happy with whatever car you have and find it dependable, what difference does a survey make ? Only thing is, unlike our car-mags, JD Power is supposed to be unbiased. So we can assume the results reflect reality.
Old 18th June 2008, 17:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Interesting chart. So JD power is no better than most rags .. er mags
Old 18th June 2008, 18:53   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A Mercedes C-Class in any "dependability" ranking should tell you that the study is crap.
Old 18th June 2008, 18:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well i would say that the most dependable cars could include the corolla, the qualis , the older zen
Old 18th June 2008, 20:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with GTO.
I am pretty surprised to see the C class here.
According to me, the most reliable car would be a Honda or a Toyota. We had an 2001 accord which we just sold and the car never let us down.
Infact, in the U.S. I would want to buy a used Accord or Camry here for the very same reason.
I would have said Fiat as well, as our old 98 Siena TD did a mumbai-jaipur trip and worked without any flaws till around 70Kkm when we sold it, but the Paliol broke down once and so I wouldn't call it dependable.
I haven't had sufficient experience with any other car maker except for Ford which I would rate pretty high up as well and none of our old Ikons or current fiesta have let us down.
Old 18th June 2008, 20:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Reliability for me is mechanical reliability. A car with a little rattles can be tolerated but if the car stops in middle of nowhere, then it is not reliable.

It must be Toyota, Suzuki and Honda. Toyota Innova, most notable and impressive , is a vehicle that has proved itself within a short span of time.

Corolla, is also a vehicle that has very few issues of reliability. Suzuki and Honda are also very dependable.

@GTO : Well, I dont own one, but I believe that C-class is pretty good car.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 18th June 2008 at 20:38.
Old 18th June 2008, 22:49   #27
BHPian

Amby . Have a 1962 Amby at home and never remember it conking off during a ride other than routine stuff..
Old 18th June 2008, 23:12   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

@GTO : Well, I dont own one, but I believe that C-class is pretty good car.
the newer gen C might be good...but trust me on this, the intial batches like the C180 were benchmarking unreliabilty standards!!

Having said that i am covinced this report is crap, lost all my faith in JD power reports too.
Old 18th June 2008, 23:22   #29
ajibba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A Mercedes C-Class in any "dependability" ranking should tell you that the study is crap.
GTO , Just out of curiosity , “Mercedes C-Class in any "dependability" ranking should tell you that the study is crap” Why do you say that ?

Old 19th June 2008, 00:08   #30
BHPian

they lost both alto and maruti 800 really funny.many of the buyers shouldnt forget their first car 800

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks