Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 22:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Its raining hatchbacks!

It is no secret that India has now become the small car hub for manufacturers and customers alike. And its just getting started.

The next one year shall see a slew of new launches starting with the Indica V3, Suzuki Splash, A-Star, the Hyundai i20, Fiat Grande Punto, the new Chevrolet U-VA, Honda Jazz...and many more. Almost every manufacturer has a new hatch lined up for launch.

The hatch in India has evolved. From being a budget people mover to straddling the premium end with the likes of the Fabia, the hatch is still king. And if anything, rising fuel prices and lower duties will see this segment growing like never before.
Old 9th July 2008, 23:23   #2
BANNED

Such a good thing, hatches are best suited for Indian roads.
What a line up coming! Please give estimated time of release of these small cars.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very True. Raining hatchbacks like in the coming months, it will be raining sedans
Toyota Corolla
Mitsubishi Galant ( if launched this year)
VW Jetta
NNHC Honda City
Fiat Linea
Skoda Superb
and maybe more.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:38   #4
BANNED

Hatchbacks are considered to be an entry point to the 4wheeled world by many. Not just in India, but thru out the world, many start their driving in a hatchback.
Next comes the enthusiastic kind who will look into a hot hatch for some blitz in his life. Again, this segment is a very demanded segment worldwide. Cars like Civic Type R, Golf vR6, Clio, 206 etc.. have proved it again and again.
Then comes the sober, plain jane, city run around car. In many families around the world, a hatch is the beloved one for this use.
Many companies favour hatchbacks to be given to their executives/managers etc..
By the time one has been thru all the above, he will now be in his retirement age. Now, he will look out for a small, easily manageable car. Again, a hatch will find place in many similar garages.

So, a hatchback always has some role to play in a man's life. This makes it most beloved type of cars and ofcourse, manufacturers make lots of hay while the sun is still shining.

Anyway, it's very nice to see some good hatchbacks lined up for launch in our country. Jazz will be something to watch out for and hope Honda gets it's pricing right. The bread'n butter cars from Maruti-Suzuki will be nicely welcomed if they stick to their current marketing styles. There'll be hardly any flop hatchback here unless the company decides to do so.

What happened to the Toyota small car? Is it still stuck in development stages?
Old 10th July 2008, 09:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Jazz will be something to watch out for and hope Honda gets it's pricing right.

What happened to the Toyota small car? Is it still stuck in development stages?

Jazz would be one heck of a buy if priced right. Its actually huge inside ! Toyota has actually IMO taken Indian market quite lightly. I guess Toyota s car will come only in 2010. I wonder why they didnt consider they Yaris hatchback for India!
Old 10th July 2008, 09:50   #6
BHPian

The hatchbacks i am looking forwards to
1) Toyota Yaris
2) Ford Focus / Fiesta
3) Fiat Grande Punto
4) Honda Jazz & VW Golf
5) Chevy Spark / Beat
6) Hyundai i20
7) Suzuki Spark & A-star
Old 10th July 2008, 11:31   #7
BHPian

It is raining hatchbacks indeed. That said, its the B segment (Swift, Getz etc.) that is seeing the most action and not the A (800 etc.). Its a herculean task to match the pricing of the 800 / Alto and yet make a profit. Thus, the big boys are tapping into the potential of the 4 - 6 lakh rupee hatchback segment. With the way that hatchbacks are growing in size, safety and features, they have no choice but to go the premium way.

What we really need now is for hatches to offer diesel engines & safety equipment across the board.
Old 10th July 2008, 11:36   #8
BHPian

I agree...if only the service standards keep up with all the new machinery. Am really looking forward to the Jazz, and the GP. Shouldn't Bravo and 500 also be in the list?
Old 10th July 2008, 11:38   #9
BANNED

And automatics, GTO. A diesel automatic hatch loaded with safety features would work wonders.
Old 10th July 2008, 11:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Shouldn't Bravo and 500 also be in the list?
They are way too expensive. They should be in the extreme of premium hatchbacks. Also both the cars are Imported . 500 will be priced around 15 lacs ex showroom.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:06   #11
BHPian

What about the Nissan Micra? Expected to be here by 2010.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:15   #12
BHPian

Nex Indica before October!!??

A couple of days back i had been to the Tata Showroom at my place. I was accompanying a frind who wanted to test drive the indica dicor. The sales person said they are gettign the indica v3 by september end. But the way he described the new car was amusing. He said it has got new lights and a 'multi engine' with 85 bhp.
Old 10th July 2008, 13:40   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
And automatics, GTO. A diesel automatic hatch loaded with safety features would work wonders.
Absolutely! I am of the firm belief that there is a substantial market out there for a diesel automatic hatch. Of course, the price has to be within reasonable limits. Dont you remember my thread on the Automatic Indica?
Old 10th July 2008, 14:08   #14
BHPian

Yes, it is raining hatches. May I add the NANO to the list.
Old 10th July 2008, 14:38   #15
BHPian

Yes its raining hatchbacks

Yes i agree that its rainning hatchback and its good news, at least for me as i like small cars.
The increse in the fuel price and traffic congestion is pushing the buyers to by a small cars/hatchbacks. Hatchbacks are now no longer percieved as cheap cars as Swift, Avo and Getz have set quality standards.
The sedan which is percieved as prestige cars are losing its image as bigger players like merc, bmw and audi have chipped in. Every one knows they are expensive and has a prestige appeal.
Hope to see Nano soon and rewrite the history of small cars.cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks