Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:50   #16
BHPian

Been looking out for the 'new' corsa...but haven't noticed anything different on the newer corsas/sails on the road.....

can anyone expand on what the New look is all about? another cosmetic job? or a new temp indicator?
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream
since the corsa has not done too well in the indian market, maybe GM doesn't want to take the risk of investing - easier to borrow an old assembly line and start rolling out for third worlders like us.

remember what toyota did with the qualis? it's all about marketing and positioning. when the qualis was introduced, the competition was sumo, bolero etc - easy meat, so why introduce something good, make money on the old 'matchboxes'

with the innova, it's the same - they have introduced this product because there's nothing like this in the market - so easy pickings -

why discontinue the qualis? - because the tavera licked it - there was really no future there...so why not die gracefully?

it's simple economics - they really don't care about us. the only way this trend will reverse is when competition increases - but not any kind of competition. when the indian market is mature enough to recognise a good product from a bad one -that's when things will really change.
Toyota phased out the Qualis cos it was expensive to produce as they did not sell it everywhere. With the Innova they benefit from economes of scale and hence was cheaper.

I still dont understand why old cars are being sold here.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
I still dont understand why old cars are being sold here.
Thats is because we buy them. And the 'phoren' car manufacturers know our craze for the foreign badged stuff.
Old 22nd April 2005, 15:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Thats is because we buy them. And the 'phoren' car manufacturers know our craze for the foreign badged stuff.
I dont think we should include the Qualis here - it succeeded because it was a good product, and the right one for the market it sought to address. That is why it succeeded.

There have been numerous other 'phoren' badges that have bitten the dust here. Going by this logic, none of the 'Indian' brands like Tata, Mahindra and to an extent Maruti should've succeeded.

I think our market is mature enough to accept a product that meets its requirement, regardless of what vintage it is. Personally I feel that a lot of good products have lost out in later stages because of this penchant to 'revise' what is essentially a good thing.

The Opel Corsa was not up to the mark as far is competition is concerned. It may have succeeded in Brazil, but certain other cars that have done reasonably well in that country have bombed here too.

The cars that have succeeded in India are those that have been targetted at a specific market and have addressed the requirements of that market best. Its as simple as that - how would you explain the success of the later (korean) models that GM introduced? Its the same company - they just realised that they had to meet the aspirations of the market and not their own.
Old 22nd April 2005, 15:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I dont think we should include the Qualis here - it succeeded because it was a good product, and the right one for the market it sought to address. That is why it succeeded.

There have been numerous other 'phoren' badges that have bitten the dust here. Going by this logic, none of the 'Indian' brands like Tata, Mahindra and to an extent Maruti should've succeeded.
Which 'phoren' badge has failed? Fiat has - but it is a brand associated with taxis. Has Mercedes failed? Has Honda failed? And why the Qualis? I am not saying that the Qualis was a bad vehicle. It was not the best that Toyota could give. That is the point. And who buys the Qualis? Not image conscious people. It is these image conscious people I am talking about.

No one buys the Tatas for image. There are other 'phoren' goodies to buy.
Old 22nd April 2005, 16:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No one buys the Tatas for image. There are other 'phoren' goodies to buy
well, maybe not sedans;yet; but what about the safari?it was a cult status, class, and the only proper indian suv when it was launched. and might i say, the safari is still considered a class car (well, suv), and used by many famous personalities, politicians, and celebs. and which other phoren car will you get for that sorta money? and i'm talking about SUVs here, mind you.

and in my opinion, GM should bring in the newer opels, and discontinue the existing corsas; they are flagging, in terms of brand reputation. maybe it's time they brought in the proper chevys and saabs, what say???
Old 22nd April 2005, 16:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
well, maybe not sedans;yet; but what about the safari?it was a cult status, class, and the only proper indian suv when it was launched. and might i say, the safari is still considered a class car (well, suv), and used by many famous personalities, politicians, and celebs. and which other phoren car will you get for that sorta money? and i'm talking about SUVs here, mind you.
The Scorpio.

I dont think people assosciate phoren brands to class or status anymore. The only reason we buy cars that are generations old is cos we dont really have too much choice. All that is changing now. Communication and Globalization is resulting in more people knowing about what cars are available where. India is a HUGE market for all auto manfactures and hopefully they will start introducing new models.
Old 22nd April 2005, 18:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was the Safari's competition at the time it was launched? If you had 15 lakhs to spend what was the choice? The Safari is not considered a 'class' car anymore IMHO. For 10 lakhs you can get a Corolla. Which is 'Toyota' and definitely 'phoren' class.
Old 22nd April 2005, 18:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
The Scorpio.

I dont think people assosciate phoren brands to class or status anymore. The only reason we buy cars that are generations old is cos we dont really have too much choice. All that is changing now. Communication and Globalization is resulting in more people knowing about what cars are available where. India is a HUGE market for all auto manfactures and hopefully they will start introducing new models.
It is not that we do not have too much choice. The fact is that the MNCs take India for granted. They sell the older stuff here. All the goodies are for the West. About your last sentence - I totally hope so.
Old 23rd April 2005, 15:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was the Safari's competition at the time it was launched? If you had 15 lakhs to spend what was the choice? The Safari is not considered a 'class' car anymore IMHO. For 10 lakhs you can get a Corolla. Which is 'Toyota' and definitely 'phoren' class.
well typeo, being a little negative, are we? he..he..he..

but man, if i had 15 lacs to spend, i would buy a second hand supra with the 3.0 2z-jte engine (320 horses on tap). but seriously, i did say that i was talking about the safari, as an suv; not as a car. therefore, the corolla isn't even in the competition. a guy wanting to go for a safari will either go for a safari or an endeavour-never a corolla. the same stands true for a corolla buyer. and the car is still considered class, iMho.(well, any 10 lac car is, for that matter).

and khanak, i think the scorpio's a little out of the safari's league.......

but more to the topic, i think GM should seriously reconsider it's indian strategy. here's what they could do, in my opinion;
1)use the daewoo plant, localise the parts more, and bring down the corsa sail's price to about 4 lacs- that would put in the indica's and palio's league. maybe then, it'll garner some sales.
2) phase out the vectra, corsa, and the swing-the combined volumes aren't even worth mentioning.
3)launch at least 3-4 of it's exciting models from it's product line-up from europe, like the new astra, GT, etc.

b.t.w, the opel line up from europe is worth drooling over... just hope that GM hears our plea and launches these models..

vauxhall (opel in the rest) astra, new

the new astra gtc

Last edited by veyron1 : 23rd April 2005 at 15:46.
Old 23rd April 2005, 19:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

4. bring back new opel astra as an upgrade from optra. new astra is really great car. new opel astra

5. bring matiz out as soon as possible

Last edited by adya33 : 23rd April 2005 at 19:45.
Old 24th April 2005, 12:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well typeo, being a little negative, are we? he..he..he..
Well, it is in my blood. Literally. LOL

My point is that very few people think in terms of the vehicle and the use it is meant to be for. In India atleast, it is all about the prestige that comes from buying so and so vehicle. I do agree with your points, but this is not any other place where people see the vehicle for what it is ....

Someone buying a Corolla is typically saying 'Hey look! I can buy a Corolla.'

Things are changing though. I hope they change sooner than later.
Old 24th April 2005, 15:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point is that very few people think in terms of the vehicle and the use it is meant to be for. In India atleast, it is all about the prestige that comes from buying so and so vehicle. I do agree with your points, but this is not any other place where people see the vehicle for what it is ....

Someone buying a Corolla is typically saying 'Hey look! I can buy a Corolla.'

Things are changing though. I hope they change sooner than later.
very rightly said dude.
& in small cities like pune owning car is all about status & giving message "YES I CAN OWN A CAR"
lets hope the mentality of ppl changes soon
Old 24th April 2005, 18:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
very rightly said dude.
& in small cities like pune owning car is all about status & giving message "YES I CAN OWN A CAR"
lets hope the mentality of ppl changes soon
I don't agree here.. The catergory of people you are talking about is just 2% of the whole population.. The indian market is quite mature and driven by sound economics.. Prestige and Status are secondary things to a majority of the crowd.

Look at all the cars that have succeeded in the indian market. All those cars will boast of a combination of excellent fuel economy + lowest cost of maintenance + very good reliability.

Of-course there are some things that we are not very particular about, viz, Fit-and-finish, safety, etc. But as long as one is spending less money annually on a car vis-a-vis expensive phoren cars, no-body really complains..

Now, can the phoren car-makers afford to sell their vehicles at cheap rates. It depends, afterall they are also in the market to make a buck or two. Most folks, want better products, but when it comes to pricing, you hear "Oh! but the M-800 is available for less than 3Lacs, so why should i spend more money on a T-C"

Heh-Heh..
Old 24th April 2005, 19:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree. It is common of us Indians to go for the cheapest option and then complain about the quality. If we wernt so money minded, we wouldnt have complained!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks