Team-BHP - Whats the Big Deal with i10 Kappa anyway?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Whats the Big Deal with i10 Kappa anyway? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/43594-whats-big-deal-i10-kappa-anyway.html)

I bought i10 magna this march, few months dwon i10 kappa is out. I somehow feel cheated by hyundai for bringing out a new version to already new car. So to make it short I want to know what am I missing on so please can any one enlighten me.
Whats the big deal with Kappa anyway??

More powerful engine and a sports variant, thats all I guess.

More powerful engine. The i10 1.1 did not have sufficient engine grunt.
Moreover, to fight the nearly invincible Swift, Hyundai desperately needed a more powerful vehicle.

And an auto transmission too!

Hold on, the Kappa makes 10% higher torque at about 50% more RPM. That means, at like 2500-3000 rpm you shouldn't feel tooo much difference. Kappa specs seem to indicate a higher revving engine. You haven't missed the next big thing.

/Note to self: Need to take up the persistent HMIL sales reps' offer for a TD.

As you said Magna was already new and Kappa is more new !! Did they discover any serious flaw with Magna that they launched Kappa on its back?
Quote:

Originally Posted by somebodystopme (Post 928717)
I bought i10 magna this march, few months dwon i10 kappa is out. I somehow feel cheated by hyundai for bringing out a new version to already new car.

I found a useful site providing news and info on Indian autos everyday. Today, I noticed this comprehensive write-up on Hyundai's Kappa Engine.

Totally Technical- Hyundai’s Kappa engine explained | Indian Autos blog

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabloo (Post 928802)
As you said Magna was already new and Kappa is more new !! Did they discover any serious flaw with Magna that they launched Kappa on its back?

If you check out the i10 website, Hyundai is offering both the earlier versions and the current 'kappa' versions. Ofcourse, the 'kappa' engined cars cost more because they have a more powerful engine in it. Where is the flaw?. Except, that they did not offer the 'kappa' right from the start.

Along with the power there is improvement in the build quality as well as in the interior quality in the Kappa variants.

the new kappa has better pick up and is more fun to drive with 4 ppl siting and a/c on

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.V.R (Post 928846)
Along with the power there is improvement in the build quality as well as in the interior quality in the Kappa variants.

How can you say that? A company cannot alter their quality standards for the sake of one variant..

Options can be more, but quality of plastics, build cannot be altered from one variant to another AFAIK.

It's all part of the unplanned marketing Hyundai is currently going thru.
After all the awards, hue and cry about the i10, it was not a fun to drive car. There was something missing somewhere. Now, instead of waiting a bit before they come out with a newer version or being a bit mute about the improvement, they decide to make it as a whole new version. Drastic decision, I would say.

I've got a good piece of advice for Hyundai:
Bring Subbu back. Pay him the heaven he demands or you'll start tasting hell soon.

I don't get the purpose of this 1.2 L engine.
Its not as good as the Suzuki Swift's 1.3 L engine in terms of outright acceleration. Handling wise also, Swift beats the i10 anyday. I would prefer a Swift for highway manners anyday over Kappa.

Then again, as far as City driving is concerned, there is not much of a noticeable difference between the 1.2 and 1.1. And i am not the only one saying this. Autocar in its latest issue has made this observation as well. The lower end response specially the third gear pull of 1.1 is still better than the 1.2.

So whats really the point of 1.2 ? It can't take on a Swift on highway. And it can barely keep pace with a 1.1 IRDE in city.

Its an "in-between" car i suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 929099)
Its an "in-between" car i suppose.

agree: But for that Hyundai shouldnt demand so much premium price.
1.2 was mainly launched to fill in the gap as a city + decent highway car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 929099)
I don't get the purpose of this 1.2 L engine.

Quote:

So whats really the point of 1.2 ?
Better profitability! Equipping a higher-trim level with a better engine is just one way of motivating potential customers toward the more expensive variants. It's that much more justification for the customer, isn't it? Since the engine will anyways be supplied to overseas markets too, these variants add substantially to the bottom line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by somebodystopme (Post 928717)
I somehow feel cheated by hyundai for bringing out a new version to already new car.

Its normal to feel that way when you buy a car just before a newer / improved version comes out. Don't fret, the Magna is a great hatch too.