Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 15:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Here it is. Its in malayalam. Transalation provided below.
Title: Mechanism to stop vehicles at signals

Bangalore: Bosch company has informed that it has developed a mechanism by which vehicle engines automatically switch off at signals and at traffic jams. Vehicles fitted with this mechanism from Bosch will switch off engines if idle for a fixed time. Subsequently, if the clutch is pressed, the engine will be functional again. The company clarified that by using this mechanism, apart from fuel savings, CO2 emission can be reduced by 8%.
</Translation>
Is there any mention of price and can this be fitted to our existing vehicles? Any reviews of the solution on web?

Link: Green Car Congress: Bosch Start-Stop System to Move to Series Production; Standard Equipment on BMW 1-Series

Some one claims that this is not by Bosch. Here is the excerpt from above link:

Hello,

The above mentioned text was sent by me. Here it is again:

The Automatic Start/Stop (and also the High Precision Injection) presented by Bosch and used by BMW are already invented by Telcopol Ltd (in Finland) and they are subject to their IPRs (patents) For more info see Telcopol email: vazvan@telcopol.com or b_vazvan@hotmail.com. So it sounds very funny that Bosch or BMW now claims to have developed such innovations. The concept of Volvo in 90's is not a practical neither economic solution. Bosch and BMW first must obtain a license from Telcopol in order to be able to sell cars having these technologies!

SAM

From Telcopol

Our Solutions Related to Automotive Industry

A Smart Technology for All Cars

A smart solution for reducing emissions and fuel consumption of all cars up to at least 30%

We have developed a revolutionary product for reducing the fuel consumption and emissions of cars up to at least 30%, no matter what kind of fuel they use. This solution is very effective and can be used in all kind of cars, new and old. It saves fuel and reduces emissions up to 30% by controlling fuel consumption of cars in cities, in dense traffic areas, and even on roads and highways all the time, while at the same time recovers any lost energy.

We are not providing a hybrid car, but we provide a solution that can make any car to be more efficient than any hybrid car in respect of fuel consumption and emission reduction.

According to research unit of DaimlerChrysler AG and Corporation, in reality, hybrid cars do not show any positive effect at all since they often use multiple sequential loss energy conversion schemes. They just shift the problem from one place to another, but not even completely! The actual fuel consumption of the hybrid driving on longer interurban or motorway journeys is actually higher than with the standard gasoline or diesel engines.

Hybrid cars manufacturers claim that: The electric motor of hybrid car is used mostly in the cities and its battery is charged during city driving where repeated acceleration and deceleration are common or when the car is out of the city i.e. when the engine operates effectively! It is supposed that in this way the emissions are taken away from the cities to suburbs or highways! However, this is not the truth. In reality millions of cars exist almost all the time in cities and their closest suburbs. In fact, in high traffic areas (such as in any city today) the power level of the battery of the electric motor of a hybrid car gets so low that it should be charged all the time in the city itself, i.e. the engine (e.g. the diesel or gasoline engine) must charge the battery already in the city!

Also the use of bio-fuels (such as bio-diesel and ethanol) does not provide a cheap or environment friendly energy resource because they are at least as expensive as normal gasoline or petrol but they also cause greenhouses gases. Furthermore, the import of bio-fuels in addition to import of oil (with which it should be blended) will cause outstanding extra costs to the economy of most countries. Bio-fuels do not save our planet from emissions but only shift the problem from one place to another, not even completely. The fact is that almost all of the arable land on Earth would need to be covered with the fastest-growing known energy crops to produce the amount of energy currently consumed from fossil fuels annually (U.S. DOE). Therefore, by using bio-fuels, in the long term, our cars can be seen as metal mules that soon leave no land to cultivate foods for human beings.

However, our technology is not dependent on the type of the fuel (gasoline, petrol, bio-diesel or ethanol), hence saving an outstanding amount of fuel and reducing emissions more than any other solution. Our technology is the best solution for reducing greenhouse gases in line with the Kyoto Protocol obligations.

Unlike all known systems our technology does not need modification on the engine and system of the existing cars and it can be used in all cars immediately no matter what kind of fuel they use.

Therefore, by using our technology, even your normal car can be much more efficient than any hybrid. We have also developed an embodiment of our technology to be used in hybrid cars in order to double the efficiency of hybrid cars. Without our technologies hybrid cars will have poor fuel efficiency.

Our technology also provides a unique Energy Recovery Solution that overcomes all energy losing drawbacks in any start/stop techniques or hybrid cars. Our innovative system stops the useless fuel feeding to the engine of the car by detecting the situations where engine's driving power is not required, no matter if the car is moving or faced with the prospect of traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and congestion. The engine is then automatically again in use at the moment the car should be moving on or accelerated. No change is required in the driver's normal driving attitude! At the same time when the car is moving, the system recovers any lost energy (e.g. due to use of devices while the car is e.g. stopped at traffic light). The battery is not necessarily required to be charged by consumption of fuel. The charging of the battery is done by the energy already spent for moving the car but without wasting fuel during the recharging, hence accounting for at least 10% emission and fuel reduction. No additional devices are necessarily required and no braking system-related devices are required (such as the "integrated regenerative braking" by electric motor used in Toyota Prius, Lexus etc.).

In our solution, when the energy recovery system is taken into account together with the reduction of fuel and emissions resulted from automatically cutting the use of fuel during slow-moving stop-go traffic or even on highways, we can achieve in some cases an overall 40% reduction of fuel and emissions in cities. In our technology the energy that is usually lost during deceleration (even when the transmission system is not in use) and also other external energies directed to the vehicle, when it is moving, is recovered as electrical energy and fed back to the battery to boost its charge, thus the system is self-contained and there is no need for recharging the battery by using fuel.

We are the first in the world who have also invented and developed the world's first technology enabling the vehicles' engines to be started in a fraction of second without using any starting motor or alternator! This breakthrough technology can be used for any gasoline engines.

Our patent pending system controls the fuel consumption of any car, using any kind of fuel, and does not require any modification in the system, engine etc. of existing cars. The intelligent logic of our technology detects the situations when the consumption of fuel should be reduced, for example, in a traffic jam, at traffic lights or even when the vehicle is moving, no matter if the engine is not even coupled to the transmission system of the vehicle (in pursuit of the world's highest fuel efficiency). Upon implementation, this will immediately cause a huge positive impact on any country's macro economy and make a welcome difference in the end user's pocket balance. Using our technology means that your car can now travel much further on a liter of fuel, and produce far fewer carbon dioxide emissions which strengthen the greenhouse-effect.

By spending only an hour in order to fit our product into the car, your car could be transformed into an environment-friendly car (Eco car), and you can save an outstanding amount of money by setting a halt to an unnecessary waste of precious energy. No other technology or fuels (such as bio-fuels) can do this! Many decades of time is needed in order to replace all the vehicles on Earth (if ever) with the new ones reducing emissions and fuel consumption. So why wait and spend huge amounts of investments that actually produce more carbon dioxide emissions, while accelerating the detrimental effects of global warming?

By using our smart technology billions of cars already existing in cities and also future cars can be easily changed to environment-friendly cars that save fuel consumption and emissions at least up to 30%. A solution that is easy and fast to be implemented, cost-effective and compatible with all cars. In one embodiment the software of our technology can be easily added to new cars.

It is worth to be mentioned that also the very well internationally recognised Technology Research Centre of Finland (VTT) has reviewed our technology and took a drive test in a modified car using our solution. VTT recognized and recommended our Technology as an efficient solution that would obviously make a big impact in the process of fuel saving and preservation of the environment

Our technology is tested and fully operative. We are seeking for investors and partners for mass production of our technology on a global level.

Mods: I have pasted the content it it bit hard to find out on the site.

-BSR

Last edited by rao_battula : 7th August 2008 at 15:40.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:23   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Since my car does have the start stop button it often crosses my mind that I should be a good citizen and switch off the engine when the signal timer reads more than 100 seconds,as cranking the engine back is very quick thanks to the button.
However on the flipside i too believe that starting up an engine would consume more fuel and in addition more engine oil is also consumed.
Only a thorough exercise on this by an expert can help us decide
Old 7th August 2008, 18:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Since my car does have the start stop button it often crosses my mind that I should be a good citizen and switch off the engine when the signal timer reads more than 100 seconds,as cranking the engine back is very quick thanks to the button.
However on the flipside i too believe that starting up an engine would consume more fuel and in addition more engine oil is also consumed.
Only a thorough exercise on this by an expert can help us decide
From what I think, bigger the engine longer is the wait period required. Do those big diesel railway engines shut down during the stop period at a station? I think not. That's what my above statement is based on (however flawed it might be).
Old 7th August 2008, 19:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

dude how can you compare a train engine here?!? :

My 3 liter engine takes barely a second to start..if you must go into such comparisons a luna probably has the smallest engine in india on wheels and it takes a decade to start :
Old 7th August 2008, 20:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

There is really nothing one can do other than let the engine idle. Stopping and starting will only result in more consumption as one member pointed out earlier. If there was a way to avoid this, then companies would have mass marketed this technology. There isn't or it hasn't been perfected yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks