Team-BHP - February Performance : Indica no.2. Wagon R outsells Santro
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   February Performance : Indica no.2. Wagon R outsells Santro (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/4391-february-performance-indica-no-2-wagon-r-outsells-santro.html)

February 2005 Sales:

1. Alto - 12177
2. Indica - 9152
3. 800 - 8038
4. WagonR - 7088
5. Santro - 5881

Fantastic, having rid itself of all the initial problems the Indica may well be set to take over the no.1 slot in the country. The only area where it is taking a beating is in the sales of its petrol version.

The WagonR has thumped Hyundais Xing, lower sales probably prompted Hyundai to launch a sub-3 lac Santro by stripping it of an air-con and power steering ( Article to 3 lac Santro ).

GTO

Source : Economic Times Article

Cool! I guess people now have started understanding that with the Indica they get little more space, little more comfort and less maintainence costs at the price for which they would have bought any other hatch!

Quote:

Cool! I guess people now have started understanding that with the Indica they get little more space, little more comfort and less maintainence costs at the price for which they would have bought any other hatch!
Add safety to the package too. And its more like - Much more space, much more comfort and much less maintainence costing.

GTO

And maybe people have started realizing that Shahrukh khan in the Idiot box does not make Santro better than WagonR....

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Add safety to the package too. And its more like - Much more space, much more comfort and much less maintainence costing.

agree: I was amazed when I read that they sold 1,00,000 (1 Lac) cars in 9 months!!!

Hey Stratos,
Why havent the palio sales taken off then?
I hate to say this but their new DLG model is very tempting.
4.25L on road, diesel economy, space, looks,VFM,safety.
What more could one ask for at that price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
. The only area where it is taking a beating is in the sales of its petrol version.

well i guess the petrol has started selling well in the last one month or so. i have seen plenty of petrol indicas and indigos on the road !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratos

the indica diesel is also helped by the fact there is no other real competetion to it other than the palio D.so people just have no other option but to go for it's economy .the UK market has shown that whenever there will be similar products ,it will be really difficult for the indica to survive in its present crude avtaar
also the indica sales figures are bound to change once the maruti/fiat/GM JTD's are launched along with the santro crdi.
then it will be interesting to see the sales figures for the indica.

till then its more of a compulsion rather than a choice that the indica is selling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya
also the indica sales figures are bound to change once the maruti/fiat/GM JTD's are launched along with the santro crdi.

till then its more of a compulsion rather than a choice that the indica is selling.

Satya ,

i dont think the sales figures of the Indica will be down after the launch of these cars .

the only thing that sells cars here is "CHEAP". the Indica will be cheaper than all the cars u listed and it will sell. u can get the latest technologically advanced and safe cars here ....but my dear friend how do u intent to change the INDIAN CAR BUYER'S PSYCHE ??

Tata is the most improving car maker in the country even though the ac blower switches on a 3 month old Indica come into my hand when i try to switch the ac blower on..still its quality is improving ! rl:

I mean in a way Tata is playing its cards right and very smart . as long as they give a CHEAP and FUEL EFFICIENT diesel car the Indian buyer tends to overlook other shortcomings and TATA is giving the quality what the Indian buyers are prepared to pay for ! a win-win situation for both parties !

anyways...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Much more space, much more comfort and much less maintainence costing.

GTO

& much less driving pleasure. :D Now I know you can't have your cake & eat it too but still..

Quote:

the UK market has shown that whenever there will be similar products ,it will be really difficult for the indica to survive in its present crude avtaar
Correct. But most of the UK competition wont be here. Even if they are, pricing wont be below 5 - 6 lacs.

Undoubtedly the Indica offers less than some of its more classy competition. But then, the price is lower too isnt it?

Quote:

Agreed. More of a choice in the diesel small car segment will certainly take away the Indicas unique position. But dont for one moment think that Tata is not working on CRDi, improving refinement....and the next generation Indica.

GTO

I wish Indica will top charts some day, paving the way for Ratan Tata's dream car-for-the-people project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya
the indica diesel is also helped by the fact there is no other real competetion to it other than the palio D.so people just have no other option but to go for it's economy .the UK market has shown that whenever there will be similar products ,it will be really difficult for the indica to survive in its present crude avtaar

by the time maruti and fiat will launch jtds tata will deveolop a indian versio of crdi turbo intercooler and for value for money there is no rival of indica, the real advantage indica has today is a diesel engine priced similar to other petrol hatchbacks still offering more space,safety,comfort,ride quality,looks and economy with only disadvantage is its sluggish to drive but santros and wagonr s are no hotrods either,in real world driving it is driveability that counts not 0-100 or topspeed,that is the area where indica scores fine with sensible gearing its not too bad to drive around in city,and i think alto is exceptional value for money that is the reason it sells like hot cakes...................................pls forgive me i am too partial to indica

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
February 2005 Sales:

1. Alto - 12177
2. Indica - 9152
3. 800 - 8038
4. WagonR - 7088
5. Santro - 5881

GTO

Source : Economic Times Article

Lot of travel agents buy Indica. Might be one reason why sales figures for Indica look so high.

Pravin,

welkome to the gang and i see that you are the 1900 th member - so why dont you post a proper introduction in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF section ?