Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 17:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
@mjothi

IMO if they want to garner revenue, tax or discourage non-commercial diesel vehicle users, they should tax diesel cars, irrespective of size or shape as "Subsidy Tax" once and for all during purchase. Even if the car is transferred to a second owner, he has to register with the RTO (i.e. many loops in that too), so even then he should be levied a subsidy tax.
Okay with it as long as Police Jeeps and Babu vehicles like the Amby or the Indigo get the same treatment.

Now the more interesting part, lets forget the Fuel Guzzling SUV - how do you prove that you dont live in a Metro? Or does it mean that you only get the same adultrated diesel at Rs.2 extra in the Metros? I mean HOW MANY suv owners are there in India - will it really make a difference in the overall scheme of things? I doubt it.

This is going to be interesting - soon everyone will have a diesel drum and a manual fuel pump at home. Think of the increased fire hazard!

IMHO they should put a premium on diesel bought for commercial non-transport use - like the trucks carrying 25 drums for refuelling each that I saw in Bangalore as soon as the power cut went up from 1/2 and hour to 4 hours. Nobody else could buy diesel at the outlets as these trucks were EVERYWHERE, refuelling for hours on end.

But then again you will have trucks with 500 litre fuel tanks lining up at the fuel station instead of carrying barrels.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th August 2008 at 17:16.
Old 11th August 2008, 17:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

I guess whenever I plan to buy an SUV, I will also plan to move back to Dehradun or to one of my ancestral places in the villages of Garhwal and do take a work from Village from my office
Old 11th August 2008, 17:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Now the more interesting part, lets forget the Fuel Guzzling SUV - how do you prove that you dont live in a Metro? Or does it mean that you only get the same adultrated diesel at Rs.2 extra in the Metros?
The pricing is based on the type of fuel that are sold. eg: BS-II & BS-III complaint. So, even of a non-metro SUV or car fills in a bunk that provides BS-III fuel, he need to spend that extra money.

But again, I cannot answer if its same adultrated or even worst
Old 11th August 2008, 17:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Do not worry

I am in firm belief that we need not worry. Why ?

Because most of the Politicians drive SUVs (Scorpio, CRV, Bolero, Endeavor etc.). So, there are very little chance that this recommendation would get its way. Those politicians would not allow government to pass such recommendations. Because SUVs are their first choice in vehicles.

This will go into cold storage. cheers:
Old 11th August 2008, 18:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Anuj

You forgot that these politicians dont give a s*** about money,as they have piles and piles of bad money.

And for those who are in power,they have their fuel bills paid by Govt.

What do they care ?

these things can only trouble the common man.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:24   #21
BHPian

The current govt is unlikely to do anything before the elections, so let us hope this goes into cold storage.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

This is more to do with the fact that governments in this country want to be seen as anti-rich to advance their political lives. And the definition of "rich" is anyone who lives in the 5 metros.

That they know that if it werent for the tax collections from these "rich" city folks this country would be back to the days of pawning its national gold reserves for food. The further we try to distance ourselves from these politicians the more they try to gatecrash.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:30   #23
BHPian

Another interesting point is that price of diesel will go up by 75 paise each month until it reaches market rate (longer than petrol increase duration). So end of the diesel advantage!
Old 11th August 2008, 18:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the price differential between petrol and diesel for personal purpose should be totally done away with.

If you check across the globe, its only in India that the price of diesel is so much lower than that of gasoline.

Reason?
Reason is that in India, Diesel is linked to economy. All our goods are moved using diesel vehicles. Heck even railway uses Diesel.

Offering less priced diesel for these vehicles is definitely a people oriented move, and I am in with it (though it has its own set of flaws).

BUT, there is absolutely no reason why this should be extended to private vehicle owners. What is the benefit to economy or to the population?
Old 11th August 2008, 18:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

... oh and cost of manufacturing aspect wise:
Diesel is NOT really cheaper to manufacture than Gasoline.

The current (and future anticipated) specs of diesel calls for the amount of processing that is similar to that used for consumer gasoline. And you HAVE to separate the naphtha and kerosene fraction anyhow. So how does the cost of manufacturing diesel actually be any less than that of gasoline.

If someone is going to push the price related to demand-supply story. Then lets us all realize that in India, the prices of petrol and diesel are not market driven.

Had that been the case, diesel's price would have long overtaken petrol prices.

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th August 2008 at 18:46.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Another Bombshell !!!

Source Panel moots petrol hike by Rs 2.50 per month

The high-level Chaturvedi Committee has recommended raising petrol prices by Rs 2.50 a litre per month till March 2009 and diesel prices by Rs 0.75 per litre till 2010 to eliminate subsidies on the two fuels.

Oh God please save me from these devil bureaucrats.
Old 11th August 2008, 18:58   #27
BANNED

I can see highway outlets (esp. those just outside metros) doing great business.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:36   #28
BHPian

Where do these imbeciles get such atrocious ideas from??
Old 11th August 2008, 19:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Where do these imbeciles get such atrocious ideas from??
These so called guys put rooms in 5 star with buffet lunch/dinner and think what all new ways govt can extract common man's money .
Old 11th August 2008, 20:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely absurd. Suggesting that petrol be raised by 2.5 every month means in an year it will reach around 80! I wonder who makes such idiotic suggestions!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks