Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 23:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

What's wrong with the suggestions? The pricing NEEDS to be rationalized. Before the next person shouts, let's ask senindra how much europeans pay! In India, either taxes need to be reduced, or consumer price goes up.

I prefer the latter. Saves my tax money going into petro bonds, and more importantly, keeps nanos off the road.
Old 11th August 2008, 23:56   #32
BHPian

Phamilyman, yes in Europe the prices barely have a few cents of a difference, last time i tanked up (petrol) I payed 1.47 per litre, and diesel was barely few cents cheaper. But hey, when did I say that I have a problem with the rise in price ? Did I not agree that the people who own such machines would pay the increase without crying ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What's wrong with the suggestions? The pricing NEEDS to be rationalized. Before the next person shouts, let's ask senindra how much europeans pay! In India, either taxes need to be reduced, or consumer price goes up.

I prefer the latter. Saves my tax money going into petro bonds, and more importantly, keeps nanos off the road.
Old 12th August 2008, 00:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thats what I meant. We want SUVs (with all the farkle nomenclature of not-so-gas-guzzling if you will), mind you, SUVs not a Bolero (with its 15ish averages) but we also want 30 bucks a liter fuel. Why not the heydays of 14 bucks a liter fuel when Indica came out?
Old 12th August 2008, 01:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss, this is not Europe. We don't earn in Euros, pounds, francs, or any other of those wonderful currencies. We don't have beautiful roads, and honest law enforcement. Our fuel is not pure.

Why is it that everytime oil prices go UP internationally, our oil companies cry like they're being violated, but when prices go DOWN, like in the last month or so, we never see any corrections locally?

And why can't we have cheap fuel like almost every other Asian country?
Old 12th August 2008, 06:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Becasue, there the country is rich, but in India the people "running" the govt are rich
Old 12th August 2008, 08:00   #36
Team-BHP Support

Rather than all this silly rs 2 extra and rs 1 extra, govt should remove all subsidies and make price of petrol and diesel free market.
Sure the economy will crash, but what a crash it will be. Like zimbawe we will also have million rupee notes .
And I will be able to say, my monthly salary is in millions
Old 12th August 2008, 10:17   #37
BHPian

Our Government is run out of Ideas nor do they want to think.

They recommend every thing the US government is planning to implement. One way it will help Pachuri to say we did take the steps to reduce pollution, but it will not get us to a situation where people can live despite the international prices.

Gas Guzzling SUVs are barely our problem. Most of our fuel is consumed because in our Cities, the average speed is barely above 11kmph and most of the time the engines are either idling doing no work or when they are moving they are racing to catchup with the traffic. Then there are other million stuffs like Busses find bus stops in middle of the road is better than in the side, people think the road is theirs and can run across every where, and bikers thinking that riding in a zig-zag fashion is cool, Autos trying to race with everything else on the streets, users who find the next lane always faster than one they are on, etc.

In our highways one can barely cruize at 80kmph, where most of cars run very efficiently. You have to brake and accelerate quite a lot to go around our non road worthy trucks or see a cow crossing or to circumnavigate one of the moon crater brought to earth and many such things.

Keeping this as a situation they can do things to reduce our fuel consumption. They can use Pricing, Infrastructure, Technology and family planning as a combination to reduce fuel consumption. Instead our government is just getting their hands clean and pushing the users to a corner.

We have to develop vehicles that adopt to our infrastructure and also develop infrastructure to adapt with the vehicles. All our cities have pathetic Public transport sytems and no planned development. Can you imagine what happens to our cities when over 50% of our country is living in them. It would literally leave no space for villages. Most villages would be within our cities and you may have to travel 100's of KMs just to see a sight of green country. At that time if 70% of the people are driving around in a cars, you have to carry oxygen cannisters to recharge your lungs. And our traffic speed might reach lower than 1-2 kmph. Is this what our beloved, Abdul Kalam says in his Vision 2020? Some of this are changing but still they are not clear on what to do, there is no plan. I do not think, even Delhi will achieve 70% people using public transport by 2020. The rest of our cities are far from it.

Finally, Yes, our country has become a communalistic type of Democracy, where China holds a Democratic Communalism. Our country men no longer care or understand what problems a common man has. They have even not cared to boast about the Infrastructure they have provided, like they used to before.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:37   #38
evo
BHPian

How will they control the fuel that goes into SUV`s as opposed to non SUV`s, how will they define SUV?

All it`ll do is create a parallel black market for diesel siphoned off from the bus quota and sold to private vehicles.
Old 12th August 2008, 14:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

no yaar kuch nahin hoga. the 2 rs/L is not large enough for encouraging full scale fraud

You must factor in fraud making costs, risk premium, and a fair profit for frauder and fraudee parties
Old 12th August 2008, 15:03   #40
BANNED

What about the infrastructure changes required at petrol bunks?

There will be a separate dispenser for SUVs where the attendants will now pull the Rs. 210 scam.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
How will they control the fuel that goes into SUV`s as opposed to non SUV`s, how will they define SUV?
According to Team BHP, Bolero is an SUV. India's largest selling SUV, no less.

Wonder what will happen to all those govt Boleros (especially our own dear kpbolero) - will they now go back to being MUVs?
Old 12th August 2008, 15:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Boss, this is not Europe. We don't earn in Euros, pounds, francs, or any other of those wonderful currencies. We don't have beautiful roads, and honest law enforcement. Our fuel is not pure.

Why is it that everytime oil prices go UP internationally, our oil companies cry like they're being violated, but when prices go DOWN, like in the last month or so, we never see any corrections locally?

Yes we dont really earn in Euros or dollars but neither does the government buy Petrol/Diesel in Rupees!! If government keeps selling cheap petrol it will be bankrupt in no time!
Also lets also keep in mind that whatever money is lost in cheap oil, it means less allocation for education/healthcare/defense/roads etc! So in any case its our loss only. There is no magical tree anywhere that sprouts lots of free money!!! Everything has a price and if crude OIL price is getting higher and higher per day (in last 2 years it has gone up almost 3+ times) we should be ready to pay higher price as well.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:31   #43
evo
BHPian

Quote:
no yaar kuch nahin hoga. the 2 rs/L is not large enough for encouraging full scale fraud

You must factor in fraud making costs, risk premium, and a fair profit for frauder and fraudee parties
Haha,you do have a point there!But atleast in Kolkata there is a big parallel network that sells adulterated fuel, maybe they can diversify their line of business and add this as a separate profit centre!

Cheers
Old 12th August 2008, 23:12   #44
BHPian

My view - Introduce 'Vehicle Road Worthiness' norms similar to ones in Europe and think about such stupid ideas of taxing people in Metros more later. An old old car is way more polluting than a Bharat Stage 3 compliant car.

What if I have a Hummer registered in a small town, but still use it for daily commuting to a metro ? On the other hand what about the denizens who own a small car in a metro as they are cheaper to buy and run (again as per the 1.2l govt norm)?

I remember there was an earlier thread about max speeds on the highways as 60 kmph! Wonder if these 'babus' have ever tried their 'free amby's' on the highways themselves at 60kmph!

As the supreme court said 'Even God Cannot Save This Country' if such politicians are aound.
Old 12th August 2008, 23:43   #45
BHPian

Branding SUVs as fuel guzzlers is not fair. Post CRDI all SUVs are quite fuel efficient these days. In fact much better in some ways than the smaller petrol sedans whichh are half their size. It is in countries like US where people still run large SUVs on Petrol, and they are fuel guzzlers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks