Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 00:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

In this country, SUVs are almost as fuel efficient as cars. That cant be said about those in developed countries. Those huge engines there were never meant for fuel-efficiency.

I can rest assured that my X2 will see the light of the day after all.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:35   #17
BHPian

Indians are still largely practical buyers - FE,space,VFM,service are the main criteria for buying a car. If the sales of the SUVs are going north, as you have pointed out, it is because they are fulfilling the above requirements quite well. And they will continue to do well as long as they fullfill those requirements.
As for the Swiss - good for them, even if they will not make much of an impact, as a small country. Now if this was the americans..but it can never be, right?
Old 27th August 2008, 11:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

youre absolutely right man
I couldnt agree more and I also believe 2 wrongs dont make a RIGHT.
however, to echo another post on this thread, the current crop of SUVs in India are give or take highly comparable to cars when it comes to emissions/ fuel efficiency etc.
Luckily, since India is clearly a VFM focussed country and it is ingrained in us to seek the best value for our hard earned money, we will hardly, if ever, become mad gas guzzlers like many citizens of the US of A.
That said, I also agree with Benny about Social Issues and how we as responsible citizens must do our bit.
Promoting / Practicing Car Pooling etc would definitely help to an extent. And one's second vehicle could seriously be a Reva!
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Although I agree with you about where the blame lies, in the final analysis it's not going to matter who burnt the house down or which room the fire started in. We are all going to suffer.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its not about SUVs, in India any car, SUV, bike, auto, truck, train, plane, moped which dosen't give good FE will extinct.
Old 27th August 2008, 14:13   #20
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2008 at 14:27.
1000Horses is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th August 2008, 12:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

SUVs in India will evolve. India is still a nacent market for SUVs as it was for Cars about a couple of decades back. You will see highly efficient SUVs, Smaller SUVs, Crossovers (4x4 cars with high GC) being introduced in India. SUVs will have its own market. If not for SUVs or UVs one would not be able to travel to more than 75% of our villages/towns in India.
Old 28th August 2008, 13:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

I seriously doubt that the sales of SUVs will increase henceforth, given the rate of rise in fuel prices. Sooner or later SUV sales will fall.

I seriously hope they come out with an "electric-SUV" as soon as possible.
Old 28th August 2008, 14:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I seriously doubt that the sales of SUVs will increase henceforth, given the rate of rise in fuel prices. Sooner or later SUV sales will fall.
Considering that the bulk of the Indian SUVs sold run on Diesel & with Diesel continuing to remain cheaper than Petrol, I don't think that would happen. If a person has the money to make the initial investment, its a win-win all the way!

Heck, my Safari with about 50% more of daily running than my Fiesta 1.6 still works out marginally cheaper at the end of the month (absolute rupee terms). Between the two cars, they cover approx 200 kms in a day.

Last edited by suman : 28th August 2008 at 14:04.
Old 28th August 2008, 16:46   #24
BHPian

India, China and Russia are going to be the biggest SUV markets. Tata's would not have taken over Land rover if they thought SUV's are going to get extinct any time soon. In our country Size does matter. SUV's will continue to sell irrespective of whether it is petrol or diesel. On our roads along with the Safari's, Scorpio' and Bolero's you alos get to see a lot of CRV's and Vitaras.
I feel that as technology evolves we will have greener and more fuel efficient SUV's
Old 28th August 2008, 18:02   #25
BHPian

Agreed that the state of roads in India are terrible (most of them).
But if we were to have good pot hole free expressways, how many would prefer a SUV over a road hugging sedan that is much more stable at high speeds?

I think a good majority would prefer a sedan.
Old 28th August 2008, 18:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
But if we were to have good pot hole free expressways, how many would prefer a SUV over a road hugging sedan that is much more stable at high speeds?
How about in the madness of the daily traffic, off the expressways - even if the road surface was top class, I'd still prefer a SUV
Old 28th August 2008, 19:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

You dream well. But you started your sentence with a 'if', suggesting that you yourself have doubt about this.

As long as there is a considerable difference between the petrol & diesel prices, SUVs are here to stay. Having said that, speaking for myself, it shall always be a SUV irrespective of petrol, diesel or good/bad roads.

Since you raised this question, can we have poll on how many would still buy a SUV if the roads improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
Agreed that the state of roads in India are terrible (most of them).

I think a good majority would prefer a sedan.
Old 28th August 2008, 20:21   #28
BHPian

the suv debate

i can safely add to this debate by saying that having moved to a safari in the last 6 months from a palio... given a choice while ferrying the kids to and fro from school or just out on a jaunt with the entire jing bang - it is almost inevitably and without a murmur of dissent that the entire family heads to the safari rather than the palio.

thats not to say that the palio is a bad choice of vehicle - heck it has weathered more abuse thrown at it that a world war II jeep (!) and it has almost always come out of a sticky situation smelling of roses - however, in the safari, you just feel safer and a lot less intimidated by the buses, call centre cabs and the many other crazies who regularly inhabit our roads.

even my 26 month old asks (informs) me as we head out to drop him off to school, we're going in the "haathi gaadi" right?

and with diesel at 37 bucks - its still cheaper to run the safari than my palio 1.2!

so - are suv's here to stay .... oh yeah!

is that a good thing? each to his own, so go figure....
Old 28th August 2008, 21:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

That many of us who are 'manufactured' with some kind of 'defect' will always 'compensate' for it by driving an SUV!
So unless you can change me, you cannot hope to change what I will always drive!
And yes, thankyou, I have heard that one about the size of it being in inverse proportion to the size of the car one drives!!

Big is beautiful.
Old 29th August 2008, 12:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Anup!
The Monster Vehicle Club!
Ha Ha!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks