Team-BHP - Braking - Left or Right Foot?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Braking - Left or Right Foot? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/45029-braking-left-right-foot.html)

If you have driven Automatics in the past, you may be using left foot.

But, if you drive a manual and use right foot for braking, try left foot once and post your results :D

or else just vote.

A few ATs that I drove in the past and sometimes currently I drive the AccordV6 (when the driver is on leave), the right foot is used to apply brake and that comes very naturally too.

As far as AT is concerned, even braking with left foot would not pose much problem, since auto clutch is integrated with the brake pedal. But in manual if one brakes with the left foot then how does the clutch get operated? The engine might stall, posing greater risks to life and limb. Well, I shall not be the one to try...:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohit (Post 960172)

But, if you drive a manual and use right foot for braking, try left foot once and post your results :D

or else just vote.

Well for most indians riding a manual may find it easy to use the right leg. But in my logan, there is a peculiar problem of my seating position that when i use the right leg, the brake lever pad right side gets pushed more rather than the full pedal itlsef. And the rubber wore off within 6 months :Shockked:. i got it replaced under warranty but again the same problem is coming. I tried using the left leg for braking but failed most times as the left leg is not as responsive as the right leg. :(

Never driven an AT, but the simple logic that I follow is...if I have to brake, I certainly don't need a foot on acc, hence use the same right foot for brake/acc.

Regards,

Right foot for braking in Manual transmission.
For AT its a different ball game. A habituated MT driver may accidentally press brake in AT as a natural reflex action for clutch.

Seen few test driving AT and getting out of the car totally shaken.

Well, there was a dvd that came free with a car magazine a few months ago that explained the concept of 'left foot braking', using a Ford Focus RT hatchback. It was a manual car that he swerved through ghat roads, and left foot braking helped him in getting a better control of the car on hairpin bends--he was braking with the left foot while acclerating at the same time.
I think it is dangerous to try that out in India, unless we have ghat roads that have one-way traffic.

^^Not sure what the chap is trying but if he wants better corner exit speeds, he can always try heel and toe to match revs when down shifting. I'd not recommend left foot braking unless you are sure of what you wanna do.

Left foot braking is very common in the racing circuits but for daily A-B driving I dont think left foot braking really has an "advantage".

Right foot for Manual and Left foot for AT.
Isn't this very obvious?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 960262)
Right foot for Manual and Left foot for AT.
Isn't this very obvious?

took a Optra on a rental in thailand i...AT... tput left on brake and it just shook the car, thankfully no one was behind else at a speed of 100 i would have a had a nasty crash.. all two days that i drove..kept reminding myself to brake with right. left just doesnt do it for me, even on AT

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohit (Post 960172)

But, if you drive a manual and use right foot for braking, try left foot once and post your results

or else just vote.

Are you trying to create accidents here? :Frustrati At least don't ask people to try it out, it is dangerous.

Do not use left foot for braking if you are used to right foot braking. It may give you unexpected results. Its not like what you think, at least for the first few times. Be very careful if anyone wants to try it, and do it when no vehicles are behind you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 960293)
Are you trying to create accidents here? :Frustrati At least don't ask people to try it out, it is dangerous.

Do not use left foot for braking if you are used to right foot braking. It may give you unexpected results. Its not like what you think, at least for the first few times. Be very careful if anyone wants to try it, and do it when no vehicles are behind you.

Your right. Because when in a manual or A/t you usually tend to use the right foot for applying the breaks and you apply the required amount of pressure. But when you use the opposite foot you dont realise the amount of pressure needed and might just jam the breaks resulting in sudden stops which may result in fatal accidents.

In manual when brake with right foot, the gas is automatically released ( right foot), but if left leg is used for braking, there are chances for gas to be available while braking.

When you are applying brakes with your left leg what would your right leg do? Press Accelerator?:)

I have seen recommendations of having brake and accelerator pressed simultaneously with right foot which left is on the clutch (for revvning the engine to take the lower gear smoothly without jerk while negotiating a turn). But that is all stunt driving not to be tried during normal course.

I have never heard or seen anyone use their left foot for braking, regardless of it being an automatic or manual !

Don't even try it, you might just land up hitting the car in the front or braking too hard to get hit from the rear by using your left leg.