Team-BHP - Urgent Advice Needed: Honda Civic stuck in Flash Flood
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Urgent Advice Needed: Honda Civic stuck in Flash Flood (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/45166-urgent-advice-needed-honda-civic-stuck-flash-flood-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentsmith2 (Post 967070)
The Deccan workshop has given a estimate of - hold you breath - 5.5 Lakhs!!

Five lakh fifty thousand. Just recieved their fax. Trying to find out what it is for. They tell me it includes everything - engine, steerting etc. What the ****.

Things like these scare me away from Honda! God.. I hope your insurance covers it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asr245 (Post 970836)
Things like these scare me away from Honda! God.. I hope your insurance covers it.

Why, even other cars would be expensive for an engine replacement. Why single out Honda alone?

I faced the same issue with my accord.
My engine block apparently cracked and fractured one piston and since there was water in engine rusted the rest of pistons. At-least this is what they claim.

It came to around 3.5 Lakhs .
Insurance paid for he block which cost 85000/-
Funny thing is they said they would pay only for 1 fractured piston since damage was visible and will not pay for the rest .
Honda told me that they have to change every piston or engine work

I faced loads of problems to convince the insurance but still in they end they just paid 2 Lakhs stating that rest of the parts like drive shaft which i had to change were unrelated

my insurance company was New india insurance and trust me i would never take any kind of insurance from them now on till i die ;)
I olso regret not renewing my insurance with the company honda had tied up
:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by sujithnk (Post 971921)
I faced the same issue with my accord.
My engine block apparently cracked and fractured one piston and since there was water in engine rusted the rest of pistons. At-least this is what they claim.

It came to around 3.5 Lakhs .
Insurance paid for he block which cost 85000/-
Funny thing is they said they would pay only for 1 fractured piston since damage was visible and will not pay for the rest .
Honda told me that they have to change every piston or engine work

I faced loads of problems to convince the insurance but still in they end they just paid 2 Lakhs stating that rest of the parts like drive shaft which i had to change were unrelated

my insurance company was New india insurance and trust me i would never take any kind of insurance from them now on till i die ;)
I olso regret not renewing my insurance with the company honda had tied up
:Frustrati

I'm regretting not renewing my insurance with ICICI or Baja Alliance who have a tie-up with Honda. As a warning/lesson to all team-bhp members: Never take up Insurance with any govt insurance company [National, New India] - always take it from the insurance company your service centre has a tie up with.

OR rather

Never take car insurance from National Insurance India or New India or Oriental. Ever. If you want to get paid after a mishap that is. I thought Govt companies were good - but by was I wrong. Its been 2 weeks and National Insurance's babus are taking their own sweet time in getting the necessary permissions signed.

agentsmith,

finally how much is insurance company paying, and how much you need to pay?

Shashank:
Just got to know from my uncle, IF u have tried to restart your car (in your case, u did) when stuck in water, The insurance company then disqualify your claim - that being towards your negligibility. By restarting, you are forcing the water "inside" the engine, and hence easily detectable that the car has been restarted after being shut down due to water.
I just hope National approves your claim, and btw... yes, National is a govt company, but with its own advantages! its easy to bribe your way in and get the claim approved, unlike with ICICI,BajajAlliance, TATA Aig;) think about it.

Lot of things in the bill, seems to be a waste, but when there is insurance, the workshop tends to put in lot of extras in it.

Has the insurance been approved and to what amount?

Any updates Shashank?

Updates: It took 3 months for Honda to get all the spare parts and get my car functioning. I still haven't got my car back.

Lesson Learned: Think twice before recommending a Honda again. Their service is of the worst order.

On Insurance: National Insurance hasn't paid me yet.
Lesson Learned: If you don't want to pay a hefty bribe money, go for ICICI or Bajaj insurance. Don't buy National, unless your uncle works there.

I'm still to get my car back from Honda Service Center. I'm told that I'll get it this week.

Update 2: I'm taking this legal. Is there anyone here who knows a good Consumer Court lawyer [in Pune]. I'm willing to (and in the process of) spend(ing) some good money to bring these National Insurance loots to court and set an example.
--
Mods - please close the thread now as this case is now sub-judice. Members, please PM me in case you need any info. Will open this thread after the legal recourse with full disclosure.

Thats hard luck on both counts. But its good that you are not taking things lying down.

All the best mate.

Do not want to start a seperate thread, hence adding my query here.

One of my friends colleague's car (Verna) went through the 3 -4 feet rain waters on the streets. It took him safe to the residence, but on next day it was found the clutch got stuck up. The car was towed to the authorized Hyundai showroom. Initially it seems that insurer (Bajaj Alliance) accepted to get it covered under insurane and later refusing saying the clutch is not covered. Total estimate for the clutch portion is around Rs.18k.

Initially the surveyor said the flood damaged is covered, but now says its not covered. Any idea whether the clutch will be covered or not? If yes, how to take it forward?

from the way your car was submerged in water , your car will in all likely hood suffer from a condition called hydrostatic damage, this generally happens when the water levels are higher than the level of your air inlet opening, i think i read some where that your air intake was located some where on the bumper which is indeed very bad , now the only the way out is not trying to crnak your engine any more though i still feel the damage has already been done as you tried cranking even after stalling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 1081632)

One of my friends colleague's car (Verna) went through the 3 -4 feet rain waters on the streets. It took him safe to the residence, but on next day it was found the clutch got stuck up. The car was towed to the authorized Hyundai showroom. Initially it seems that insurer (Bajaj Alliance) accepted to get it covered under insurane and later refusing saying the clutch is not covered. Total estimate for the clutch portion is around Rs.18k.

Initially the surveyor said the flood damaged is covered, but now says its not covered. Any idea whether the clutch will be covered or not? If yes, how to take it forward?

Surveyor adds that flood damage is covered only when the car gets damaged while its parked.

Is it that damages due to driving through rains waters are not covered under the flood damages

Experts help required on this

PS: The service adviser was telling that flywheel wear and tear itself was around 50-60% and this flood has add to the existing woes to result in total jamming of the clutch. He added hence this will be treated as wear and tear and not covered under insurance