Team-BHP - No Fiat... What are the options?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   No Fiat... What are the options? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/4579-no-fiat-what-options.html)

It was fun reading Fiat Overhyped/Overrated thread. Just when I was reading it I started thinking about available options. If we stop recommending Fiat Palio, what would be the next best choice - Indica Petrol, Santro (SRK) Getz/Xing, Opel Corsa....?

I would also like to know whats wrong with Indica Petrol? Why is it unable to match figures of its Diesel counterpart?

Hmmm ... in the 'small car segment' - The Santro and the wagon R.

For 3 box cars - Ikon 1.3, Corsa, Esteem in that order.

However, recommendations aside, people always buy what they want in the end. :)

Indica petrol is a great car,
at that price its ultimate value for money, its got impressive performance, quality is not an issue as others might suggest...i had an indica v2 petrol, so i know. has lot of potential for mods too....
but indians have this mindset that every car should give a mileage that a maruti 800 gives. Thats the main reason why it hasnt been able to match the sales number of the diesel version. Also one of the reasons for palio not doing well.

Drifter

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Hmmm ... in the 'small car segment' - The Santro and the wagon R.

For 3 box cars - Ikon 1.3, Corsa, Esteem in that order.

However, recommendations aside, people always buy what they want in the end. :)

It's cruel to compare Ikon 1.3 with 1.6 Petra. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135
It's cruel to compare Ikon 1.3 with 1.6 Petra. :D

I know. But in an India without the Petra, what else is there? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by drifter
but indians have this mindset that every car should give a mileage that a maruti 800 gives. Thats the main reason why it hasnt been able to match the sales number of the diesel version. Also one of the reasons for palio not doing well.

Drifter

agree: - spot on drifter......but the quality is still very very suspect in the indica - no denying the fact even on a V2 version ...and tata is said to have improved. from where - im still wondering !

Anyone has sales figures of Indica Petrol vs. Fiat Palio?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz
Anyone has sales figures of Indica Petrol vs. Fiat Palio?

I do not have the figures but I guess the Indica might be selling more.

Keeping the price in mind, I love the Indica and have no qualms in recommending it to a lot of people. Though not so keen on the petrol, the diesel version does best what it promises : Extreme economy.

Its got fabulous ride quality and space. And the niggling problems are long gone too.

Money no question? Probably the Getz.

GTO

Well I strongly feel Petrol Indica could be an option for Fiat Palio unless it has some major problems.

1. It has FE <= Palio
2. Space > Palio
3. Price < Palio
4. ASS >= Palio(?)
5. Ride == Palio
6. Reliability of TATA Brand in India >>>>> Fiat India

What else? But still we don't hear too often about this car. Why?

Do we have a single Indica(P) owner here?

The pre v2 petrol indicas were known for their niggling problems... and bad FE. But all this changed after the petrol v2 was introduced...but the public hasnt taken it too seriously because they still think that an average of around 9kmpl is no good. And by word of mouth, this has spread throughout the market. Go and ask anyone about an indica petrol, they will say its a gas guzzler. But for its size and weight that figure is totally acceptable.

And plus Tata hasnt really marketed the petrol v2 like it does for its diesel sibling. They know in the indian market...the balance will always be in favour of a diesel than to a petrol.

@NC...i had driven that car for over 2 years...you think my driving is crazy now? my driving has actually become sober...but the indica days, thats what i would call crazy.

In those 2 years and 35000kms of ownership...i didnt have a single issue with the car except for a broken silencer...thanks to speedbreakers at mankhurd.
I used to redline that car 80% of the time. Who says they arent reliable? Never did it let me down once. So reliability hasnt been much of an issue, yeah quality i can say is not on par with the other manufacturers, but at that price, i really dont mind it that much...take those control stalks for instance...they look and feel really cheap.

Only time it did give up was once very late at nite...reason being it ran out of fuel. 100 bucks of petrol is nothing to last the whole day....learnt that the hard way. :p

Drifter

Quote:

Originally Posted by drifter
@NC...i had driven that car for over 2 years...you think my driving is crazy now? my driving has actually become sober...but the indica days, thats what i would call crazy.

drifty - god bless your accent crdi if u drive it like the indica petrol...the driving has become sober because the accent is a bigger car...pal after the santro when i got the ikon ..i have sobered down 90% in my driving style too.

Quote:

Only time it did give up was once very late at nite...reason being it ran out of fuel. 100 bucks of petrol is nothing to last the whole day....learnt that the hard way. :p

Drifter
WELL nothing much has changed on this front :D ur driving is as crazy as ever !!

I would recommend this:
2-3 Lakh range: Alto/Used Palio
3-4 Lakh range: Santro/WagonR
4-5 Lakh range: Ford Flair/ Indica diesel
5-6 Lakh range: Used City/Indigo Diesel

Above that - not worth spending on a car...

How come not a single recommendation for the Opel Corsa Sail? I feel it's the best car to buy if there is no Palio around.

The opel is an outdated design, which is a bit cramped to.
Without the palio theres only the indicaD or GETZ.
But hopefully, such a day will not come.