Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 20:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Soichiro Honda started his life as a garage mechanic. His popularity spread because he used to recognise that his customers treated their cars like their children and giving it to the garage was like a father leaving his child in a hospital. No wonder he went on to become what he became!!
Old 18th September 2008, 22:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think it is because they think that they are god's gift to cars.
Old 18th September 2008, 22:36   #18
BHPian

my mechanic drives like crazy because he says that he can come to know of the fault in the engine/car/bike only at certain speed when the machine is pushed to the limit..that is the explanation that he gave me when i questioned him on the same..
Old 18th September 2008, 23:10   #19
BHPian

yes i have noticed a bullet mech near my place doing it, he says by going very fast he checks the pick up and also the brakes, and by reving hard he is able to tell what problem is likely to come later.
but there are mechs, who tell everything just by the beat of the engine itself.
Old 18th September 2008, 23:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think we're being overly unfair on mechanics. My Dad's mechanic of almost three decades, doesn't behave anywhere close to the attributes mentioned in the intro. May i ask why, assumedly(going by their attire), educated folks driving fancy cars speak on the cell phone while driving?. I could go on and on.
Old 18th September 2008, 23:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre1774 View Post
yes i have noticed a bullet mech near my place doing it, he says by going very fast he checks the pick up and also the brakes, and by reving hard he is able to tell what problem is likely to come later.
but there are mechs, who tell everything just by the beat of the engine itself.
Disclaimer: I dont know how far this is true. I am just telling something that I have heard.

There was this blind bullet mechanic in shivaji nagar, bangalore who used diagnose engine problems by keeping his ear on the petrol tank while the engine was idling. And his diagnosis would be 99% accurate.

Disclaimer 2: Again I dont know how far this is true. I am just telling something that I have heard.
Old 19th September 2008, 02:25   #22
BHPian

1. Quote:
    Why do you people drive like crazys while taking test drive of our cars?
Because its "THE" tool for them. If you give them a computer they don't even touch it. Its like YOU overclock.

Quote:
Why do you always step on the gas even while driving inside the workshop, and then brake hard? (leaving the skid marks)
I test the speed of a computer just by opening 100 photos at the same time.

Quote:
Why dont you ever press the hand brake button before appling it? (leading to irritating trrrrrrrrrrk sound)
???

Quote:
Why do you switch on the AC at full blast as soon as you sit in my car (for taking a test drive)
The engine condition at full load.

Quote:
Why do you always put greecy stains on my shiny bonnet and steering wheel?
They will not remove the covers, if you install one before sending the car to garage.

Quote:
Why cant you ever hear the sound from the engine (or doors) which I am complaining about?
But they will hear many times once you left the garage.

Quote:
Why do you people suddenly start attending to the other car when I am there for the past 2 hrs?
Because you are still there.

I think you need to change your Mechanic.
Old 19th September 2008, 03:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

I am inclined to agree with those who have said that we can get a better picture of what is wrong / needs to be fixed when the car is revved up hard - and suspensions too (in addition to the brakes) come in for test during sudden braking.

I have taken an Indica to TATA A.S.S, Hyundai to their A.S.S, a Peugeot to TVS (Madras) and so on. And I do agree that the vehicles get dirty when the mechanics check it, work on it. But when they give my car back, they always clean it squeaky.

Another side-note - all mechanics I've dealt with treat me and my car well because I respect them, and show it. I dare not take them for granted with a high-attitude behavior, and risk my babies getting wrong / incomplete treatment!
Old 19th September 2008, 17:30   #24
BHPian

never give your car to any authorized workshops. There knowledge about your car is nothing to do with the quality of the service. They cant even find a good 3rd party spare parts for you. Its like your computer, you can buy only DELL/HCL parts, but why do you have Corsair SMPS, APC UPS, OCZ RAM, TH Cooler?

No authorized service station will install the best for you. They may use the genuine, but they are not the BEST!!!

My Safari is in my friend's garage for 8 days just for a decarb job. The mechanic is sourcing the best products for me, none of the TASS people even know about this things like AUDI Oil Seals, VOLVO Rings, VISTA Matel gaskets. Any TASS just buy a SAFARI gasket kit and will assemble it - the engine again need a decarb after 50k (the life of the gasket is 40k and oil seal is 20k) - whats the use? IF We install the Best products i can run the engine for 100k without any need to rebuild again. its just time, find a good mechanic and let them take there own time and pay what they ask. But be careful he is not cheating you. They know more and more than you know about your car.

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 19th September 2008 at 17:35.
Old 19th September 2008, 19:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Mechanics don't have any liability so they ride as they please. Its like a free lunch for them and they make the most of it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks