Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2008, 01:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

First off all I am not proposing that this car be launched 'instead' of the Linea or GP but 'in-addition' to them.

I can see that the word "Palio" is causing severe indigestion among members here. Let me assure you, I used the word Palio sedan only because it is a convenient way to refer to the car.

Other than the basic platform it will not have much to do with the Palio of yore with which we have a 'love-hate' relationship. This is a car with new front and rear look, new engine new gearbox and new interior. As far a the common man is concerned, its an all new car.

Now getting to the platform itself, it is 10 years old but still has very strong basics like solid construction, great ride quality, rattle free body. If the Accent, Ikon, Indica, Logan and Lancer are all from the same generation are selling with little or no changes, then what the hell is wrong with an all new Palio.

Sales and service is an on-going issue with FIAT. Product launches cannot be stopped because service is not good. That is something that has to happen side by side. The Linea and GP will also launching soon thru the same sales network. So what's good for the Linea is good for Palio sedan.

Now people seem to think that Linea and Grande Punto will solve all of Fiat's problems. Both are welcome, but lets remember that Linea is a Corolla size car with still unknown price and GP is a large hatch which is still something that is not a mainstream category in India. What the Palio sedan will do is to keep the volumes up.

Again its not easy to launch an all new car (esp for FIAT India) and we are witnessing the delays right now on the Linea. This car will be an easy launch as the Stile is already in production.

Last edited by Mpower : 27th September 2008 at 01:08.
Old 27th September 2008, 02:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What the Palio sedan will do is to keep the volumes up.
You are right, that is what I thought initially but I doubt anything from FIAT would sell that is less than revolutionary. This should come after the brand has been built by GP and Linea. If it comes now, people will despise FIAT

Yes it can give the necessary volumes. I would buy it for 6 lacs. Had the FIAT showroom not being broken and wound up while I was buying my Fiesta, I would really have given a thought to Petra. But good in a way, Petra was discontinued in less than a month.
Old 30th September 2008, 21:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Yes it can give the necessary volumes. I would buy it for 6 lacs. Had the FIAT showroom not being broken and wound up while I was buying my Fiesta, I would really have given a thought to Petra. But good in a way, Petra was discontinued in less than a month.
Yeah man. this is a country where the largest selling SUV is a Mahindra Bolero. now talk about outdated!!! I guess the challenge is in marketing this new product without bringing back old memories.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can see that the word "Palio" is causing severe indigestion among members here. Let me assure you, I used the word Palio sedan only because it is a convenient way to refer to the car.
Agree with you here. I am one of the members.

Quote:
Now getting to the platform itself, it is 10 years old but still has very strong basics like solid construction, great ride quality, rattle free body. If the Accent, Ikon, Indica, Logan and Lancer are all from the same generation are selling with little or no changes, then what the hell is wrong with an all new Palio.
Well, a newer platform is needed because it will obviously weigh less than the current one while offering same/better crash safety. This is the basic reason. Moreover, if they are planning to come out with an all-new India specific ( or BRIC specific like the present 178a is ), they can now plan better and attack the basic flaws of Siena, mainly the rear seat space. While it was not short on space, presently, cheaper cars offer more.

Quote:
Sales and service is an on-going issue with FIAT. Product launches cannot be stopped because service is not good. That is something that has to happen side by side. The Linea and GP will also launching soon thru the same sales network. So what's good for the Linea is good for Palio sedan.
This cannot be rubbed off Indian's mind. Never. Aftersales and service are expected to be very good as owning a car in India is still a luxury ( and hence we know why Nano is very famous ), so Indians will expect more. Commit a mistake here with a bad name and its all but gone.

And if they dont improve, GP and Linea will go the palio way. Initially long waiting list and then poor sales.

Quote:
What the Palio sedan will do is to keep the volumes up.
Palio sedan will not be able to keep volumes up. Never. Logan, Indigo and Swift Dzire will kill it as soon as it out. Swift Dzire is having the same heart that Palio sedan will have to achieve success.

Quote:
Again its not easy to launch an all new car (esp for FIAT India) and we are witnessing the delays right now on the Linea.
The delays in the launch of Linea are reasons enough that Fiat is not serious. First they could not improve A.S & S., then handed it over to Tata and now with some even less work, they are not able to launch on time.
This shows the sincerity they have. And Palio sedan should have been out almost at the same time when Stile hit the road. Not now. Its too late.
Old 1st October 2008, 18:53   #35

Quote:
Fiat already tried twice. First it was called the Sienna then it came as the Petra. Both flopped miserably even though I thought the diesel version was a great buy at the time. Both the 1.7TD and the 1.9NAD were good VFM products at the prices they were offered vs the competition.
Now the new avtar on sale in Mercosur has the new Fiat corporate front look with more contemporary dash and the 1.3 Multijet engine. Methinks this is the right time to get this into India as soon as Linea does its job if brand building.

Its almost a criminal waste to have a plant churning out the hatchback but not the sedan version. It costs only a little more to make the sedan but they can charge a lot more for it and build their profits.
Things FIAT can do to get it right this time
  • Competitive pricing
  • Make sure they use the new dash and not the Stile one.
  • Offer both LPG and CNG version of the 1.6 petrol. Big boot will come in handy for this.
  • Offer the 1.3D in 75 bhp form to differentiate from the Linea
  • Go head to head with Logan while offering better features.
Come on FIAT, dont give up. Lets see if you are third time lucky. Check out this Alfa inspired rear. She's a beauty.
Yeah.. i have to agree that the overseas new siena does look good. As long as they r not sticking a boot to the existing palio, i think they should do good. I mean just look at what they have done to the swift..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks