Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2008, 21:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda studying possibility of smaller i-DTEC!

Ok Now this is some news!! I think this move would be after Toyota announced Yaris hatchback,sedan & Corolla( might) get the 1.4 Diesel .
But question is price! 1.5 S itself is 8.5 lacs ex showroom. Diesel would be surely 60-75k more than it. That would make it almost 10 lacs on road .Obviously all the above is my prediction.

Quote:
Honda’s Indian distributor Honda Siel Cars India Ltd CEO Masahiro Takedagawa says that Honda is seriously studying the possibility of developing a small diesel engine for compact cars such as the Honda City, especially for countries such as India where diesel cars are extremely popular thanks to the 30% price difference between petrol and diesel fuel. Honda currently has a 2.2 liter second generation diesel engine called the i-DTEC. The first generation was called the i-CTDi and some of you may remember the cute ad campaign that debuted with the engine.
India will also become a key manufacturing base for Honda’s global supply chain as certain key engine components will begin to be supplied from there. The Indian engine component plant will mainly supply the ASEAN market, so in the future our 1.5 liter i-VTEC engines in the upcoming new Honda City may come from India.
The FTA which allows special duty benefits for 8 to 10 engine components traded between the two countries allows India to enter the ASEAN engine component market. This list may be widened in the future.
And who knows, we could see a 1.4 liter Honda City i-DTEC some time in the future too! Though it may have little hope of making it onto our shores as our diesel prices are now very close to petrol prices despite having very low quality, after enjoying many years of being alot cheaper than petrol.
Source : Autoincar
Old 5th October 2008, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

It will be quite interesting to see City "Diesel" batch on a Honda City rear. Without doubt it will top the sales charts. cheers:
Old 6th October 2008, 02:37   #3
BANNED

Good news! Definitely good news.
Hope it comes out soon and delivers all it's good for.

MSIL! Are you guys listening?
Where's that diesel MEN? MEN should be back before the boys take over.
Old 7th October 2008, 20:24   #4
BHPian

They say they are studying the possibility of 'developing' a small diesel engine. Isn't the whole process of developing an engine quite a long one?
Old 8th October 2008, 13:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
They say they are studying the possibility of 'developing' a small diesel engine. Isn't the whole process of developing an engine quite a long one?
Yes. They may have prototypes ready but the production version of the engine may still be under development.
Old 8th October 2008, 23:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
Yes. They may have prototypes ready but the production version of the engine may still be under development.
But to actually get one of these into a car available at your showroom.. wouldn't it take say a year atleast?
Old 9th October 2008, 13:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
But to actually get one of these into a car available at your showroom.. wouldn't it take say a year atleast?
A year? A year is an understatement. Definitely not under 3 years is my bet..

Last edited by k_ajay : 9th October 2008 at 13:23. Reason: Change in info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks