I am going to buy a car in the near future (3 months) 37 15.61%
I have decided not to buy a car for now 92 38.82%
It makes no difference to me 48 20.25%
I will now buy a more economic car. 19 8.02%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 23:30   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Has the slump in the economy influenced your car purchase decision?

Just a genuine question and some research I am doing. Your honest answers will help my research. I can think of no better place to complete my questionnaire.

The poll above will not show your names in the results.

My question stands, regardless of your mode of purchase, provided you are buying your own car (and not being loaned one by your company, unless you are part of the company)
  • Option 1: Despite knowing the state of economic affairs, you thought about it and bought a car recently.
  • Option 2: Despite knowing the state of affairs, you still intend to buy a car in the next 3 months. For whatever reason, possibly the slump does not affect your income etc. This question can be answered, even if you intend to buy a second car for your home.
  • Option 3: You've been planning to buy the car, but given the state of the economy and the rise in living costs, you'd rather not buy the car and/or simply drive the same one you have for another year or so. This can be answered even if you are buying your first car, or swapping your existing car for a new one.
  • Option 4: This change in economy makes no difference to your plan to buy a car or not.
  • Option 5: Seeing the way things are, I have reduced my purchase budget and will now go in for a more economic option.
Many thanks for your honest answers. As I mentioned before this is an anonymous poll and it would be wonderful if you would like to discuss your choice by making a post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th October 2008 at 17:59. Reason: Added 5th option :)
Old 10th October 2008, 23:37   #2
BHPian

I would go for option 3 but it has more to do with getting a better deal as the market sinks deeper than uncertainty/fear.
Old 10th October 2008, 23:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh hell yes! And in a good way

Moved my family's investments from elsewhere to gold in the last month, just before the proverbial crap started hitting the fan, and a day before the gold prices started a northward journey. And I'm buying a car in the coming months.
Old 10th October 2008, 23:44   #4
BHPian

just bought a car in july so opted for option 1. However considering the present scenario its really difficult to make a purchase decision but if someone has a need to buy a new car and dont want to spend much then he/she might downgrade their choices..for eg. if someone is considering SX4 they might settle for swift or Dzire just to be on a safer side and yet meeting their needs or desires.

IMHO this option should also be added to the poll.

Last edited by ashish22 : 10th October 2008 at 23:46.
Old 10th October 2008, 23:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey sam,

I don't know what option to choose. My parents plan on buying me a car in the U.S.A, but the economy has definitely made them think and since a car is a necessity for me, the budget has gone down considerably.
So I really don't know what to put. I think you need to get another option for reduced budget.
Old 10th October 2008, 23:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
just bought a car in july so opted for option 1. However considering the present scenario its really difficult to make a purchase decision but if someone has a need to buy a new car and dont want to spend much then he/she might downgrade their choices..for eg. if someone is considering SX4 they might settle for swift or Dzire just to be on a safer side and yet meeting their needs or desires.

IMHO this option should also be added to the poll.
I agree. You are correct. I will request for help from the support team.
  • Option 5: Seeing the way things are, I have reduced my purchase budget and will now go in for a more economic option.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th October 2008 at 00:05.
Old 11th October 2008, 00:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well even i am confused. I was aiming for a Diesel Sedan (DZire VDi) but now i think i must settle for Splash VDi OR maybe just drop the plan for sometime!
Old 11th October 2008, 00:00   #8
BHPian

I selected - Option 4: This change in economy makes no difference to your plan to buy a car or not.

I am not planning to buy a car for now neither I had planned for one before this great economy-shake
Old 11th October 2008, 00:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Well even i am confused. I was aiming for a Diesel Sedan (DZire VDi) but now i think i must settle for Splash VDi OR maybe just drop the plan for sometime!
Option 5 has been added for this situation: Thank you support team!
Old 11th October 2008, 00:12   #10
BHPian

I bought mine recently but then I had to... work commute demanded that I get one. Maybe I would've got a used one if I had foreseen this big a fiasco. Time to give myself a reality check
Old 11th October 2008, 00:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am not voting here as my annual income is through doing computer hardware articles and recommendations. I hardly manage Rs. 12K per year, but I would like to reply to this question after a very brief discussion with my father.

The option is OPTION 3.

1)
We were planning to buy a car in October 2009 and looking forward to Corolla Altis ( petrol or diesel ) or Honda Civic, if available, Suzuki Kizashi based sedan and Toyota Innova. But the recent economy has changed the things by a very huge margin. We are not sure how the future will behave. That said, if the things are a bit more controlled, then we might end up buying a car in Ocotber-December 2009 period.

2)
With our Maruti 800 getting older, we were planning to buy a Tata Nano in nearly November-December 2008. But we have, as of now, put that decesion on hold. The routine expense has left us bleeding, so we are now pulling on with Maruti 800 for atleast 2 years.
Old 11th October 2008, 00:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a new car 3 months and 3 days back.
However if i would have been in such a situation , it would totally depend on what car i would have been considering

Case 1 : Purchasing a D / Upper D segment car , i would have made a more economic choice

Case 2 : Purchasing a Hatch back in the range of 6 lakh - Wait for sometime to see where the economy is shifting and will shift in the near future.
Old 11th October 2008, 01:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My Swift is actually the only brand-new car I have ever owned. I had hoped it might be a stepping stone to a Fabia.

The entire sum that would have bought the Fabia has been lost (or at least, the profit is entirely gone) so will not consider buying anything else.

Even my consideration of ICE and Pete's Box is now an or or possibly a neither. Belt well tightened.
Old 11th October 2008, 03:17   #14
BHPian

Option 3.
I'm holding my horses for now.
Old 11th October 2008, 03:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am not too sure but I attribute this slump to be quite temporary and hence tend to think that this does not make any difference to me.

But now that I have already voted. Kind of thinking, that it might be good to accept some mouthwatering offers from carmakers/dealers to push sales in the process. Such offers might not ever be available at greener times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks