Team-BHP - Great mileage - 2001 Esteem
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Great mileage - 2001 Esteem (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/48481-great-mileage-2001-esteem.html)

Just purchased a 2001 Estemm VXI.
I did trips from Delhi-Shimla n Shimla-Delhi back on my esteem. Uphill it consumed about 23.10 litres for 385 kms = 16.66 kmpl and downhill was 19.76 litres for same distance equating to 19.48 kmpl....amazing stuff !!!!clap:

That's good. Now questions:
What was the average speed you were traveling at?
How many people in the car?
Luggage?
Normal fuel or speed/power?
AC on full time / part time / no AC at all?

I remember that when I had driven down from Agra to Pune last year, on the amazing stretch from Agra to Gwalior and a little ahead, we achieved a mileage of ~20 kmpl. I am sorry I don't remember the exact details.

@Tejas: My answers to your questions:
average speed must have been around 60 kmph with max speeds around 100.

3 adults

Luggage?
Around 2 suitcases and a bag or so.

Normal

No AC

Just wanted to share my experience. Would love to know more from gaurav.

Whatever luggage shuggage, this is fantastic mileage. Have heard of mpfi esteems returning this kind of mileage if driven prudently. But only a few can resist the power under that hood. I remember neoranjith also getting something around 20kmpl on his drive to bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1040056)
That's good. Now questions:
Luggage?

Tejas here are the details:
I kept the speed on Chandigarh-Delhi highway in 80-85 kmph max.
3 people.
3 light bags + 1 box of apples(25 kg)
Normal fuel
AC fulltime on only in Chandigarh-Delhi stretch(around 260 kms)

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1040107)
Whatever luggage shuggage, this is fantastic mileage. Have heard of mpfi esteems returning this kind of mileage if driven prudently. But only a few can resist the power under that hood. I remember neoranjith also getting something around 20kmpl on his drive to bangalore.

No doubting that the esteem is a fantastic car!

I just asked the questions out of curiosity.

Great car it is. And would have been maintained very well by the previous owner. Esteem is a great car to drive around in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1040107)

I got a phenomenal 19.7 kmpl when I drove my '95 Carb Esteem from Surat to Baroda in 2003.Three adults plus no baggage plus AC on one way(160 kms).This car was great to own;sold it in 2004 with a lot of sob-sob after using it for four years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaurav.28ch (Post 1039854)
I did trips from Delhi-Shimla n Shimla-Delhi back on my esteem. Uphill it consumed about 23.10 litres for 385 kms = 16.66 kmpl and downhill was 19.76 litres for same distance equating to 19.48 kmpl....amazing stuff !!!!clap:

Congrats on your newly acquired car! Must be well maintained - That was a good buy.

amazing mileage - the best i got when i had an ESTEEM ( 2000 model ) was 11-12 in CITY and around 15 in highway- and I hardly put on the AC !!

strange - even on my OHC im getting much less than what most ppl quote - need to check whether my right leg is longer than my left leg

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayan (Post 1041088)
strange - even on my OHC im getting much less than what most ppl quote - need to check whether my right leg is longer than my left leg

Nah, not longer, heavier. check your weight by standing only on your right leg. :D

I suppose your was a carb.

Whatever the efficiency was, the fact remains that the old powerful car has lost its charm in India and have been phased out from the country. Even I liked that car; it was one of my favourite cars.

Guys recently I replaced clutch plates of my 69k+ odo Esteem. Clutch had become hard as well as weak. Checked the old plates in garage which had almost completely depleted. Before replacement I was getting 19+ mileage on highways.
Yesterday I came from Shimla-Delhi. Used tankful to tankful method for computing mileage. Here are the stats. 14 litres for 326 kms. Which comes out to a whopping 23.28 kmpl clap: !!!!
Driving conditions - 2 people, some luggage, 75-80 kmph speed.

23.28 is god-level stuff! Encouragement for more and more trips eh ? :)

You must get an A-Star, then your figure will be 19.6 in city itself !!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaurav.28ch (Post 1039854)