Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2005, 12:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

Chauffer/Driver Training School

Given the limitations of the exisiting training schools (many of the teachers there seem to have limited knowledge to begin with) and RTO's tests before they issue a licence where would one send their drivers and chauffers.

Obviously drivers (more so with the professionals chauffers) consider themslves infallible and the accident or near miss is always the other guys fault.

Is there a school that teaches defensive driving or what I would call city driving. City driving involves the ability to judge when to be defensive and when to be aggressive.

My driver has become bolder (and more rash) with the RS than he was with the Astra. My cousin also this is true when he shifted from an Astra to an Accord. We have both had more near misses and no ammount of naggin is helping us curb our drivers. Can a school help in such cases?
Old 6th April 2005, 12:29   #2
BHPian

Really do not know, Navin. However, a very valid point. Would that mean there is a business opportunity???
Old 6th April 2005, 12:31   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I heard this a long time back, thus cannot confirm its validity but the WIAA had programs similar to what you are looking for.

You can contact them via www.wiaaindia.com

GTO
Old 6th April 2005, 12:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the WIAA were close to starting such a school but things didn't work out and the idea was dropped at the last moment.

Maybe a few emails to them would get them to reconsider starting it up again.
Old 6th April 2005, 19:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Drivers who drive a car the way it is meant to be driven (RS is an eg) are being shouted at and being told to drive carefully and yet we want faster cars.
I dont blame them.
But if ou want a slow driver, look for old people. My driver does not go above 100 kmph even when he is on Marine drive at 7 am!
But a school that teaches defensive driving sounds good.
Old 6th April 2005, 22:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Drivers who drive a car the way it is meant to be driven (RS is an eg) are being shouted at and being told to drive carefully and yet we want faster cars.
I dont blame them.
You must admit that even an RS shouldn't be driven at 100kmph in urban areas in India.. I agree with navin that people seem to forget that 'with great power comes great responsibility'. I guess the thought of 150+bhp under you is overwhelming. Educating the drivers is necessary but ultimately it depends on the mentality of the driver himself.
Old 6th April 2005, 22:59   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I am saying that the cars should be driven fast but not recklessly but the concept here is that fast drivers are reckless ones and there is where all the problems begin.
When i went for a drive in the porsche, we did 150 with ease in delhi traffic but were not reckless in the sense of dangering others lifes.
Old 7th April 2005, 02:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
I am saying that the cars should be driven fast but not recklessly but the concept here is that fast drivers are reckless ones and there is where all the problems begin.
When i went for a drive in the porsche, we did 150 with ease in delhi traffic but were not reckless in the sense of dangering others lifes.

wohhh what that ...?? when did you go for a drive in the porche .whos porche ??
Old 7th April 2005, 10:32   #9
BHPian

faster cars make U bolder.
After the relatively sluggish palio, I am driving a little faster,.
my left Fender has got couple of scratches too.:(
Old 7th April 2005, 11:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

thanks natarajan that was my point. the same driver drove me in an astra and did not have as many close calls as he does with the RS. with the RS he feels he can power himself out of most situations.

reckless and fast are not the same. the 2 near escapes i had on wednesday morning we both at about 20-40 kmph.

driving under 100 kmph at 7am is a driver's perogative. if you dont feel like you ar ein control it better to stay within the limits of the car AND yourself AND traffic/road conditions which ever is lowest.

my father's driver never drove over 80 and never used 5th gear. i did not bug him because i knew that after driving my father around for 35 years at 60kmph he was not going to be comfortable driving over 80 even if the road was empty and as disciplined as an autobahn.

the object of this post is to ask if there is a school that unlike most motor schools today teach defensive driving scientifically, they should also cover changing gears, braking, etc.

when i was in living outside india I took 3 courses on such techniques. First a defensive driving school in Brooklyn NY (partly also to reduce my insurance premium), then a high speed driving course at the Skip Barber school in Limerock CT where we also go to drive Formula Nissan, then a wet and snow weather driving course in Chur Switzerland which was the most work yet most exhillerating.

Driving techniques - defensive, fast, and wet are all related.

The problem I find with the professional chaffeus in my family is that they all take umbrage to any instructions. Their pride does not justify their skills. they seem to believe that they are Mario Andretti, Nikki Lauda, John Brabham and Juan Manuel Fangio all rolled into one.

A formal professional school which addresses their skills in a professional manner where they dont feel like it issue is personal would be a step in the right direction.
Old 8th April 2005, 02:08   #11
BHPian

first the Owners and than the chauffers

agree with you navin ....
but i think what EVERYONE needs to learn more importantly are road manners and discipline . i think car control comes naturaly and a advanced driving course can act as a catalyst

i really do not understand why even educated people with all their infinite knowledge continue to overtake from the left side ???? or stick to the right most lane ....... theese are the same people who when driving abroad follow all road rules ...
Old 8th April 2005, 03:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

These people follow the rules abroad because they dont have a choice the law is strictly followed and offenders are heavyly fined whereas in india they know that they never will be pulled up for stuff like that and even if by chance they do they will get out of it by bribing.but dude i also feel that even the educated people are doing all this because they are frustrated of the others on the road.

the only way to fully gain control of a vehicle is to drive it slowly at first. dude empty road or not you should drive at a reasonable speed which i feel in THIS city is below 100.

comeing to the point navin i dont think there are any sucj organistaions. the existing driving schools teach utter nonsence and jus teach you to lift your foot off the clutcch and simultaneously press the accelerator.... thats it !!! as GTO mentioned wiaa has started with something but im not sure what exactly it is but i did read it in that brocheur which they sent all the members.

Rev
Old 8th April 2005, 10:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

revtech, i am talking about chauffers who have over 15 years of expreience. the problem i feel is that with the new more poewrful breed of vehicles these chauffers feel like they are in a formula 1 race. they forget that their primary responsibility is to take their passengers to their destination without an incident (contact or newar miss). In most cases these incidents are not a factor of speed but carelessness, bravado or a case of "brain not in gear - foot on accelerator".

BTW a funny thing happened to me today. I usually open one rear door put my bag on the seat close that door and then walk across (behind the car) to the other side and get in. I have been doingthis for the past 5 years with the same chauffer. Today my chauffer drove of while I was walking across the car! Serious! The watchman at the gate stopped him!

Car control and road/traffic awareness i believe is a matter of natual apptitude (hand eye co-ordination, peripheal vision, nerves, etc.), honed by rigorous training (including strength training) and catalysed by learning as early as possible. When I was in the US there was a distinct differnce between those of us from big cities who had learnt to drive early in life when compared to those who came from smaller towns in India and had not driven a car before.

When I came back to India I decided to take a refresher course and went to 2 local driving schools. Both were very plain horrible. The instructors were bad drivers. they rode the clutch, made turns without indicating, and straddled lanes. One instructor was unable to parallel park! Now I am talking about instructors not students. Wonder what the students learn.
Old 8th April 2005, 10:59   #14
BHPian

maybe we could start something benefictial ??????
cause its no use waiting for WIAA to get to it
Old 8th April 2005, 17:22   #15
vtec

Navin wonder why you bought the RS in first place if you are gonna be seated back. Anyways now i know why people buy Automatics in that segment. Firstly so the drivers dont drive like F1 drivers and secodly they dont ride the clucth. Also Maruti has launched driving schools in Banglore. They are said to be at international standards.

Most Viewed