Team-BHP - Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/50465-karnataka-road-tax-crack-down-announced-edit-high-court-judgement-pg-36-attached-65.html)

The KA RTO seem to target 2 states primarily: KL & TN. They are lenient towards others. That explains why you find so many AP registered SUV's rumbling down Yelahanka with jet black film under the nose of the RTO's. In Belgaum, its even worse, half the cars are MH registered and a large portion are GA registered. RTO checking is non existent. I drove a TN registered Zen for 6 years in Bangalore without much issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramassrs (Post 3325696)
I am not here to say if what is suggested is right or wrong - it is an individual's conscience that would guide them.

All I can say is that if there is a law, it needs to be followed. If it is flawed, let us get it changed through the right means. Let us all exercise our voting rights and elect those who we think will make laws that are beneficial to the whole of society.

Oh dang! Why didn't I think of that before? :Frustrati

Silly me, all I have to do is just choose between the crook and hypocrite, and things should just sort themselves out.

And in the mean while, I'll wait for my car to rot in the RTO junkyard, and see my life saving go thru the drain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjalihal (Post 3326678)
The KA RTO seem to target 2 states primarily: KL & TN. They are lenient towards others. That explains why you find so many AP registered SUV's rumbling down Yelahanka with jet black film under the nose of the RTO's. In Belgaum, its even worse, half the cars are MH registered and a large portion are GA registered.

May be they think people are evading the high road tax in KA by buying the car from the nearby states like KL and TN where the tax is comparatively less. Tax structure is very similar in AP and hence no one would go to AP and buy a car if they intend to use in KA.

If they are too lenient, we'll see a lot of folks from KL and TN working in Bangalore buying the car from their hometown and using it in Bangalore to save the cost which means lesser revenues for KA-RTO. I've seen similar situation in Calicut long ago with Mahe being too close and without state road tax leading to a lot of PY regn cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 3319421)
It is about time we recognized that inter-state migration is an essential part of life for a growing, young, professional set of people, all of whom are taxed ruthlessly at source and indeed, who have greater rights to live and enjoy Free India because they pay their taxes, !

That is a stupid argument. The right to live and Enjoy free India does NOT depend on the amount of taxes one pays to the government. Nobody has a "greater right to live and enjoy " in a Democracy. We are not subjects of some monarch who will grant us some greater rights out of his discretion. Every Indian has equal rights on its resources.

The vast majority of Indians , especially in rural India , still live below Poverty lines. Are we to then assume that these people have lower rights compared to those who pay taxes?

In that case , Mukesh ambani should have the greatest rights to "live & enjoy free India" compared to every one else in India !

:OT

Surprisingly, Police were cracking down on all KA registered vehicles(Cars, Ace trucks) today at the following locations:
1.) The bus stop before the Bellandhur Flyover (Bangalore central one)
2.) Getting down from the flyover, bang opposite to Vrindavan Tech Village.

I really don't understand the motive, It is definitely not a case of sun films as all windows of the cars that were stopped were clear.

^^ This should be for seat belts. Is it near infinity eco spaces entrance gate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by devil_klm (Post 3327117)
^^ This should be for seat belts. Is it near infinity eco spaces entrance gate?

No its for overspeeding, and they are active in afternoon when there is less traffice between 2 to 4 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPS (Post 3314857)
RTO has started to enter housing complexes and paste notices on cars, with out-of-state registration, asking them to pay the Karnataka road tax. As long as car remains in the compound, they cannot seize it. Once it comes on the road, it will be a different story.

I got a similar notice pasted on my car window this morning. Ours is a huge residential complex with 1000s of flats. Least expected the RTO to enter the premises and do this.

I was planning to pay up the tax anyway in a couple of months but not sure if I would be able to pay up immediately as the tax amount would be quite exorbitant. Has anyone, who was served a similar notice, paid up? If we dont get an NOC from the home state, then no refund right? Can we get an NOC after paying the tax here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorePower (Post 3330658)
If we dont get an NOC from the home state, then no refund right? Can we get an NOC after paying the tax here.

I believe that is the practice; you need to get the NOC from your existing state for getting the refund. Have you been using the car in Karnataka for more than 11 months now?

Quote:

I got a similar notice pasted on my car window this morning. Ours is a huge residential complex with 1000s of flats. Least expected the RTO to enter the premises and do this.

I was planning to pay up the tax anyway in a couple of months but not sure if I would be able to pay up immediately as the tax amount would be quite exorbitant. Has anyone, who was served a similar notice, paid up? If we dont get an NOC from the home state, then no refund right? Can we get an NOC after paying the tax here.

Sad to hear this my friend, would you mind posting a copy of the notice in the forum if it's fine with you.

I understand there is a lot of inconvenience caused however this was bound to happen. If at all any individual moving from one state to another would have just stuck to the law this situation would not have risen at all. People who decide to take shortcuts and hoodwink the law land up causing trouble for genuine car owners also!

I know the system is to be blamed and needs change however we live in a society and have to either accept it or drive for change. Blaming RTO for these techniques is not entirely right as well. When one has decided to stay in another state for a long time, just abide by the law.

I really hope a middle ground is arrived at by the authorities...

This is the usual year end practice for RTO or thy are foreseeing chance of approving centralized tax for all over India in next budget i think. This thread was active at 2012 end as well :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by devil_klm (Post 3330954)
This is the usual year end practice for RTO or thy are foreseeing chance of approving centralized tax for all over India in next budget i think. This thread was active at 2012 end as well :).

You could be right about the uniform tax rate being applied from 1 April 2014 but that too has its own T&C. That said,I had read some where that this proposal was to have gone live on 1 October 2013 but due to various administrative issues couldn't and the deadline was revised to 1 April 2014. Don't know if there will be another 'revised' deadline.

Thanks John. We can then expect the KA RTOs sincere duty till April. Are they coming to office parking as well. Anyone came across this?

Quote:

Yes, you can pay the tax and then follow up for NOC. Once you get the NOC, you will have to apply for registration for a KA number which will get allotted after about 30 days.

I would suggest that you apply for NOC and once you get the NOC, then apply for KA number and pay the tax. Once you get the KA number, evidence the same and apply for refund of road tax from your home state (Pray that you are lucky to get a refund).

Thanks

KPS