Team-BHP - General Motors / Ford bailout proposal failed in US Senate- will it impact India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   General Motors / Ford bailout proposal failed in US Senate- will it impact India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/50533-general-motors-ford-bailout-proposal-failed-us-senate-will-impact-india.html)

The US car manufacturers were denied the long waited bailout today. As far as I know, the only other option would be selling the company i.e takeover. If there is any other way out, please let me know

I have no idea what would happen to the Indian subsidiaries like GM India. I was about to buy the spark. Still my decision has not changed, but I have my doubts.

What do you thing guys, is Chevy spark a completely Indian made car? or does it rely on imported parts? If it has imported parts, then the situation is gonna be even more difficult.

Please feel free to debate on this issue and site reference from other companies i.e takeovers, tie-ups, complete closure etc..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz830 (Post 1090169)
What do you thing guys, is Chevy spark a completely Indian made car? or does it rely on imported parts? If it has imported parts, then the situation is gonna be even more difficult.

First of all, the problem is not limited to imported parts. If GM is as short of cash reserves as its statement says, there could be a heavy impact on the company, its subsidiaries and all. They might have to sell off some subsidiaries etc to escape the situation! That said, GM may not survive the crisis as the company we all know it to be.

Although Spark is a nice car, this is not a good time to buy it. If you have decided to buy Spark only, better wait and watch a few months!

EDIT: Any links to share? I can't seem to find any!

Auto Bailout Bill Collapses in Senate Despite Intense Negotiations - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker

I think its quite similar to the 700 billion dollar bailout which failed in its first form before being approved a week later. So I do see hope at the end of the tunnel. I am quite hopeful it would go through eventually in a different form...

well , it would be interesting to see the future of these auto giants. you can see the news here Auto bailout suffers possibly fatal blow in Senate - Dec. 11, 2008

The matiz is taking down GM too lol:

Wasnt there a 14 billion bailout package announced, for GM and chrysler?

I remember reading somewhere in Team-bhp that the Chevy Spark is completely Indian made car. So the spare parts are readily available and cheap. Also, most local mechanics could service it. I believe that is true?

Well I think it is very simple. If there is no GM in US then there will be No GM in India.

Even if GM India would be profitable, it would suffer heavily in terms of perception. Everyone would eventually come to know about bankruptcy here, and would resist to buy a car from a company with this tag attached.i.e, IF and WHEN they file bankruptcy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aseem (Post 1090223)
I think its quite similar to the 700 billion dollar bailout which failed in its first form before being approved a week later. So I do see hope at the end of the tunnel. I am quite hopeful it would go through eventually in a different form...

and I agree with you here bhaaijaan.

Ford is planning to sell Volvo and M &M is rumored to be frontrunner so you might see Volvo by Mahindra tag . GM is also likely to be chopped off and sold into bits this means GMDAT which worked on Spark et al might be purchased by Munjals or Bajaj and Spark becomes hamara Spark or desh ki dhadkan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit27 (Post 1090708)
Ford is planning to sell Volvo and M &M is rumored to be frontrunner so you might see Volvo by Mahindra tag . GM is also likely to be chopped off and sold into bits this means GMDAT which worked on Spark et al might be purchased by Munjals or Bajaj and Spark becomes hamara Spark or desh ki dhadkan.

Bajaj & Spark, :) Actually this tie-up looks very apt.

Do you recall what was spark called before, and what happened to the parent company.

Some how Daewoo romania survived. Have no idea how?

Someway or the other impact would definately be felt in India too. Though as the quantum of investment is peanuts compared to those in US, so these companies can carry on doing business here with just fringe finances.
But as someone pointed out, perception will surely change & Indian market is very sensitive to such happenings, products won't fly of the shelves as easily & word of mouth that does wonders, will work adversly!

Bankruptcy doesn't mean that they have to shut down. It's called Chapter 11 reorganization. They will re-negotiate with the debtors and unions and try to keep the company alive. If that fails then it will be liquidated. I don't think it will come to liquidation. However, GM will take some body blows this time. I was never a fan of GM especially since they try to palm of korean brands as chevys in the Indian market so I am not going to shed any tears.

If Porche or Toyota goes Bankrupt, I will be emotionally distraught and will need councelling.