Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 16:27   #1
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Laura Recall

Hi,

Had given my Skoda Laura for some Accident work and the authorized centre guys informed me that the "15" series of Laura (which were the early ones) have been RECALLED for replacement of a component in the engine Foundation.

Checkout the part that they replaced, it was an aluminum casting triangular block with varous notches. Approximate dimentions of the new block were 10" X8" 8". the block it replaced was larger by about 2-3". This procedure added about 2-3 hrs to the time that the car was with the service centre. (This was at JMD Bhandup Mumbai).

This is was so that those who are not aware of this can go ahead and ask their service centres to take care of this. I guess it must be a block that suffers mechanical failures in due course, or physically impacts other components.
Old 29th December 2008, 17:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is this related to engine mounts ?
How many cars in total are being recalled ?
Any information of manufacturing dates during which the cars produces will be affected ?
I think that Jetta wont be affected with this.
What really amazes me is that IIRC, any issues related to this havent surfaced.

Nice to see skoda accepting the mistake. I hope they do this replacement job in quality fashion.

EDIT : Thanks for putting it up.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th December 2008 at 17:10.
Old 29th December 2008, 19:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks ACM for posting this. I am also surprised because I haven't heard any problems reported due to this part.

my car also belongs to that 15 series. TAFE (from where I bought) and Vinayaka (from where I get it serviced) have not called regarding the same. I am not surprised either. In fact I got this car serviced this month itself and no one mentioned this.

Will speak to the dealer sometime soon and see if i can get this fixed.
Old 29th December 2008, 19:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good information for the skoda owners. Can you put up some kinda material/advt by dealership (where you have serviced). It may help others here. People may ask their dealerships in different cities about the same...
Old 29th December 2008, 22:45   #5
BHPian

Hey thanks man, will check it out.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:44   #6
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont have too much by way of details

Dont really have too much by way of details.

Yes it is related to the Engine Mounts.

Mine was a Fed 2006 registered vehicle, manufactured in 2005, I guess the 15 series previaled then. They are not calling in the cars, but getting this done during normal servicing. (After informing the owners.)

The JMD Mumbai guys informed me that they learnt about this on Friday 26th Dec, when the Skoda guys came over to their workshop and gave a demo to them regarding what needs to be done.

I guess it would be done in a few weeks across India with visits to each centre.

There were no details pertaining to this component replacement given on the bill etc.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:58   #7
BHPian

Just called the service advisor at the local skoda workshop here, and they said yes they have been informed of it, and they are doing it when car comes to service, or if customer sends the car for it anytime.

Will be sending mine on around 5th.

@ACM- any difference in the drive or anything.?

As this thread is attracting most of the Laura owners, i would like to suggest a power booster for your cars. its called SPRINT BOOSTER. I have installed this in my 520d recently, and its amazing. The results are superb without the workshop computer finding out about it (You have to remove the SB when u send to service for bmw)

What it does:
All "Drive By Wire" accelerator pedals coming in cars today have a throttle lag. i.e The time you press the Accelerator and the time it takes to act on it. In normal sense, it doesnt sound a big difference. But when installed, it makes a Huge difference.
So thereby, it doesnt touch your engine at all! It is to be connected behind the accelerator pedal.

I have installed this even on my cousin's massively underpowered FABIA! and the results in that are very good too! The fabia now is like a Great Dan on leash, you have to be careful when u accelerate hard when in low gears! it pounces!

I am getting one for the Laura in this week. So will post results after i get it, but world over, people are using it and are extremely happy with it. Plus, there are no side effects of it. As long as you remove it off when u take it to the workshop, your warranty wont get effected at all. NO Error Lights either!

Please note that i am no way concerned with the Sprint Booster company and i am just telling you all here just to share some of my experiences and to give in something to the forumers.
Cost : Shipped to India would be around $300, and best part is - no duty levied on this!

Feel free to ask me more of it if you are interested!

adios!
Old 31st December 2008, 13:46   #8
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

@ACM- any difference in the drive or anything.?
FELT THE DRIVE TO BE TIGHTER AND LESS NOISEY (BUT IT COULD JUST BE A MENTAL FEELING) POSSIBLY BECAUSE THEY WOULD HAVE REMOVED AND (HOPEFULLY NOT LOOSENED) TIGHTENED A FEW OF OTHER COMPONENTS NEAR THE ENGINE.

As this thread is attracting most of the Laura owners, i would like to suggest a power booster for your cars. its called SPRINT BOOSTER. I have installed this in my 520d recently, and its amazing. The results are superb without the workshop computer finding out about it (You have to remove the SB when u send to service for bmw)

What it does:
All "Drive By Wire" accelerator pedals coming in cars today have a throttle lag. i.e The time you press the Accelerator and the time it takes to act on it. In normal sense, it doesnt sound a big difference. But when installed, it makes a Huge difference.
So thereby, it doesnt touch your engine at all! It is to be connected behind the accelerator pedal.

I am getting one for the Laura in this week. So will post results after i get it, but world over, people are using it and are extremely happy with it. Plus, there are no side effects of it. As long as you remove it off when u take it to the workshop, your warranty wont get effected at all. NO Error Lights either!

Please note that i am no way concerned with the Sprint Booster company and i am just telling you all here just to share some of my experiences and to give in something to the forumers.
Cost : Shipped to India would be around $300, and best part is - no duty levied on this!

Feel free to ask me more of it if you are interested!
THE SPRINT BOOSTER REALLY SOUNDS INTERESTING. PLS DO SHARE MORE DETAILS, AND THE FEEDBACK AFTER IT IS INSTALLED ON THE LAURA ITSELF.

WHAT I CAN'T FIGURE IS WHY WOULD THERE BE A PROGRAMMED SPRINT DELAY IN THE THE ACCELERATORS, RATHER THIS MAY BE ACTING AS A DEVICE WHICH WOULD MAGNIFY THE ACCLERATIONS (COVERTING LIGHT FOOTED ACCELERATION INTO THE HEAVY FOOTED TYPE)

DOES THIS CONNECT JUST TO?THE PEDAL MECHANICALLY? OR IS THERE SOME PHYSICAL CONNECTION AS WELL. 300 USD SOUNDS EXPENSIVE TO A MECANICAL DEVICE LIKE A SPRING.

COULD YOU SHARE SNAPS OF HOW THIS IS FITTED ON TO YOUR BMW, AM DEFINATELY INTERESTED. ALSO WONDER WHY NO DUTY. DID YOU GET YOURS SHIPPED TO INDIA OR ARE YOU BASED ELSEWHERE?
Old 31st December 2008, 14:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

The sprint booster is just an amplifier connected to the DBW system. To simplify, the DBW system has a sensor connected to the accelerator pedal (TPS - Throttle Position Sensor) which connects to the ECU. The ECU reads the values from this sensor (a voltage range) and control the throttle butterfly accordingly. Some cars manufacturers use two different curves controlling the throttle from the pedal input for say, highway cruising and aggressive pedal to the metal action. Some learn your driving style and adapt. Such is the advantage of an electronic throttle. The disadvantage of course, is the slight delay induced by all this number crunching.

The delay in a normal car is about 0.2 seconds. This does not change with a sprint booster connected. What does change is the accelerator response. Without a sprint booster, imagine that your throttle goes from 0-100% from no foot on the pedal to fully pushed to the floor. With the sprint booster connected, it goes from 0-100% throttle from no foot to , say, 75% pushed down. The 25% remaining pedal travel to the floor is dead.

The numbers are from a study that was posted in the other thread where the booster is talked about.

Suffice to say, 300 USD too much money for a couple of op-amps whose effects can simply be replicated by an aggressive right foot.

My 0.2 paise.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 31st December 2008 at 14:53.
Old 31st December 2008, 17:18   #10
BHPian

ACM, would surely put in my reviews after i get it.

Personally, i would have happily paid $600 or more too for the pickup gain i see in my 520d, which now accelerates just like the 530d! or in between 530d and 525d.

Its a small black hard plastic box, say, the size of a matchbox. There is a plug behind your accelerator pedal. All you have to do is disconnect that plug, and put it inbetween that. simple as that.

ImmortalZ, Almost all the people in the BMW, Mercedes and Audi threads i have seen, of international level, have this installed and swear by it. I was hesitant at first to go for it or not, but then, after putting it in, its like, a steal deal.

As i also mentioned, even in a sluggish FABIA, it has done wonders. its now much more jazzy and wild!
Old 2nd January 2009, 20:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

i took the car to vinayaka's to get this part replaced. all done and home now. like ACM said, it is some triangular Aluminium casting that is replaced, and no one there knows why it is being replaced. the invoice describes it as "engine bedding" replacement under warranty. the part cost is Rs.580 (not charged, though)

hope they have fixed all the nuts and bolts right.
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:30   #12
BHPian

Laura parts recall

Had sent my car for servicing and they changed a part in the car FoC claiming it was a free replacement for a defective part in many Laura's. I have no clue on what they changed since the driver took it for servicing.

Any info on this would be more than welcome.

Cheers
duke
Boeing7xx
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:10   #13
BHPian

As long as your car is runnin just like earlier there is on need to worry about . Just due to this reasoning a recall is avoided in our country . Be assured almost all manufacturers keep doing this without comin to our notice that is the best way to do it avoid the ill publicity thats attached to it . For instance , if you remember some time ago the A/T civic had a problem of not letting one shift from P to any other gear , it was a faulty switch which was replaced in my car under warranty a lot before all the fuss had started .
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:28   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

More info here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ra-recall.html
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:55   #15
BHPian

I guess then it would have ratehr drastic effects on FE?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks