Team-BHP - Information on importing my Corvette back home
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Information on importing my Corvette back home (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/51670-information-importing-my-corvette-back-home.html)

Hi guys... I own a 01 C5 Corvette 5.7 L V8 345 HP.. I am currently staying in California ( doing my pilot training )... Once I am done with my course I would like to bring my car back to India ( Chennai ?) I guess. I have a permanent resident card ( green card ) in the USA. I was wondering what the procedure would be like to import a used car and how much I would have to shell out to bring the beast back home.. I will probably be in the US for another year.. I was wondering If I could bring it back on "TR" ( Transfer of Residence ).

Anyway here are a few pics..

the tire monitoring system was on this pic ( I had to get new rear tyres ) got them changed... To z rated eagle f1s... $400 a piece yikes.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

nice ride, thats a monster air intake

Sorry to bust your dreams, but you cant. LHDs cant be legally imported into India . Period.

Quite a shame though - lovely car

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabhuav (Post 1119808)
Sorry to bust your dreams, but you cant. LHDs cant be legally imported into India . Period.

Quite a shame though - lovely car

oh wow that sucks big time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabhuav (Post 1119808)
LHDs cant be legally imported into India . Period.

For some cars its possible to convert them into RHD before importing. Not sure about this one.

My dreams of owning a corvette in india are shattered now :( Lol

I guess I will have to stick with buying a new car, I dont want any domestic cars.. I need to import something like a 350z or an RX8 ... Any idea how much these would cost to bring to India?

Is converting to RHD and importing an option??

Quote:

I need to import something like a 350z or an RX8
Such cars are easily available in the second hand imported car market in India.

Corvette can be converted to RHD as far as i know.

Of course it can be converted and RUINED!! For gods sake, dont bother doing a conversion.

Converting it will cost a lot of money and plus it has to been done perfectly, everything has to be fabricated ... i was reading it costs upward of $15k

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithless_1984 (Post 1119960)
Such cars are easily available in the second hand imported car market in India.

really where ?? and how much am i looking at for a 350z

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

350z was sold for 35 Lakhs in Delhi. 35 Laks come out to be around $75,000

Mumbai has some dealers and Delhi has some too..

There is just too much restriction for importing cars. Even if you were to convert it to RHD, the taxes, homologation etc will kill you.

If money is no object, there is a company that does RHD conversion of US vehicles to sell in UK. I contacted these guys since I considered importing a mustang. They do a great job on the mustang. Not sure if they have done a vette yet.

American Pickup Trucks Right Hand Drive