Team-BHP - Honda introducing diesel variants?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Honda introducing diesel variants? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/55113-honda-introducing-diesel-variants.html)

One of the local newspapers (Bangalore) has a news item on Honda looking to introduce diesel variants on all it's models. It doesnt specify any dates or source (just says 'reliable industry sources...).
Does anyone has more information on this?

PS: @Mods, I could not find if there is a thread on this topic. Please, merge/move as appropriate

That sounds nice.

I would really want to know what they price their City's & Civics if introduced in Diesels - Probably 1.5 - 2 lacs more expensive than the Petrol Variant.

I doubt if they are going to do so soon. I once drove a Honda CRV Diesel in UK. It was absolutely Fantastic.

There is another thread on the euro spec accord spotted testing in NCR, with our scoop man sidindica quoting his sources on that particular car coming with a diesel engine!

I doubt this news, As of day Honda is singing a song of Poor Diesel Qaulity in India as reason for not introducing Diesels here.

Which I personally feel is simply crap!

Now if thats true then it would definitley be somethingto look forward to , imagine engine to match the performance and mileage of a verna CRDi in the heart of a New Honda city !

Well, the reason given from Honda for not introducing diesel engines in India is not justifiable.

There must be something other than this.

Any way, even a common man can say that, if Honda rolls out diesels, it will sell like anything. (a new phrase will come up. Instead of Hot cakes, its than Hot Honda)

Hope for the best.:thumbs up

The only catch is the price (After all its Honda)
S0, it may be,(after the price hikes in April)
ANHC diesel: 12 lacs
Civic diesel: 16 lacs
Accord diesel: 25 lacs
CR-V diesel: 30 lacs :D

I guess they have a diesel engine only for cars of the size accord and CR-V. It is a 2.2 liter diesel powerplant, and in some countries it is also offered in the Civic. So For now, not too sure if a city diesel is on the horizon..

so we might get to pay about 12 lakhs or so for a City Diesel if honda lauches it here, wont that be a big big premium?

The Engine is 2.2 I-CTDI (Intelligent Common turbo diesel Injection)

comes in the tune between 130 - 150 BHP, from Civic Type R, CRV, FRV & Accord

From what I know Honda has just the 2.2L I-CTDi engine at the moment which means IF Honda launches a diesel here, it would be only in the Accord and CR-V. They can launch the Civic D too at about 17-18 lacs against the Laura and Jetta provided it's the Civic V at that price and not the E!

They've already priced their cars at such a premium that putting a diesel engine to it would make the prices ridiculous. I don't see it being a success.

The 2.2 diesel variant has totally cannibalised the petrol variants of the Accord and CRV in Europe. Its very rare to see either of these models without the 2.2 diesel badge at the rear. Honda were among the few companies that were highly reluctant to join the diesel bandwagon, not any more. What is suprising is the reluctance of Honda Siel to introduce the technology in India. Honda is making efforts to sell them to the Diesel hating Americans, despite India being a natural diesel market. One of the major reasons Honda is seeing its small car sales fall especially in Europe is because they dont have a fuel efficient small diesel engine.
India is one of the best places to make small diesel engines now especially due to high demand, low costs and the presence of vendors. Honda could also create a 1.6-1.7 diesel engine by taking a 3 cyl. variant of the present 2.2 4 cyl. This could be compact enough to plonk in the City or civic as well.

I dont think they will bring in the diesel variants in India due to reasons mentioned earlier by shortbread. They are currently concentrating only in the compact segment...lets see how their Jazz fares up to the competition.

BTW any civic hybrid owners here!

The diesels will be available only after 3 years(according to BS).