Team-BHP - When will smart car come in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   When will smart car come in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/55254-when-will-smart-car-come-india-2.html)

i think when it comes to saying smart car is being 'small with cool fuel efficiency',i say go for the NANO,mod it and stand out !!

OT:if smart cars were to be self driven(impossible in india for obvious reasons),i wouldn't ever prefer them!!cars are to be driven and not the other way round!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 1219567)
See my second post - I was referring to the petrol 1 liter engine - 33/41 mpg.

The forTWO does not come with a one litre engine. It comes with a 700cc Turbocharged engine and it does a hell lot more than 33/41 mpg. I owned one, so I would know.

The same engine config (700cc 3 cylinder petrol) has been quoted for the Nano Europa - there's a case for a TurboNano, then!

I am basically talking about this car
www.smart.com
The one that saif also drove in salam namaste.

It makes a lot of sense for me, as am a single driver mostly with maximum of two people my gf in the car. I think its worth buying this car even at 3.5L-4L (If manufactured in Inida) Because of all the amazing features it has.

It is so small it can be parked anywhere with ease. This is definately not a family car but why do we always pass or fail a car by that standard only.

I think this will sell, at a decent price.

Another advantage this car will have is whenever i will pickup my gf from work there wont be anyspace for her pesky friends so no dropping them home anymore clap:

Tata Nano has spoiled it image by being 1L car otherwise it made lot of sense. This one is from Daimler Chrslyer Stable so it can never be compared to Nano.

Quote:

Originally Posted by somebodystopme (Post 1218434)
Does anyone has any knowledge about as in when will Daimler chyrisler smart car launch in India am in love with the car after my trip abroad.And want to own one anyhow??

What say, you going to pay 100 times more for half the size and more smarter car than nano:D ( Our very own Desi Smartata car)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM (Post 1228425)
What say, you going to pay 100 times more for half the size and more smarter car than nano:D ( Our very own Desi Smartata car)

I just came back from Europe and was mighty impressed by the visible stability and speed of the smart car on the autobahns. Smart cars regularly overtook us even when we were doing excess of 100kmph, with no sign of any strain. I agree that the nano Europa would be very much cheaper, but just an example, the samrt car runs on 15 inch rim size wheels, and the nano? - a lowly 12" wheel, another indian "driver's car" Ford Fiesta runs on 14" rims.

I also simply loved the way Smart car owners parked their car "nose-in" (perpendicular to the pavement).

I don't think the Smart is going to come to India, any time soon. I really don't see a market for it here. In Europe, the market is totally different and it has space for the Smart. There are lots of singles, couple without kids and hell lot of people having two cars. So, a small car makes sense.

OT : And it's not Daimler-Chrysler anymore. Please, it's Daimler AG.

Seems like the smart is indeed coming to India. Tentative launch date is 2014.
The new generation Smart is being jointly developed by Mercedes and Renault-Nissan. The collaboration is for developing a new engine but may extent to other parts as well.

Source: Economic Times

Smart is not coming anytime soon, Ignore any such reports. Nothing is even being discussed besides just a statement or two passed casually.

New Smart is being developed jointly by MB and Renault, It includes sharing of platform and engines and mostly will be mated to 6 speed Manual Gear boxes and 7 speed transmissions.

New For two comes out in 2013 Globally and For Four which perhaps will be the model which India will see most likely will be out Globally by 2014, so quit wasting your time and energy on any news articles.

Earliest you will see Smart locally is only 2015. Maybe later but not before that unless there is a niche exercise carried out using a CBU method, but that itself is also not planned. Focus is on B / A / BLK (or whatever it will be named)

If you need future design direction of Smart do look at their concept showed in 2011

Smart for vision

Also back in 2010 Smart model was going to be made for USA based on the Nissan Micra we have in India, thank god the project got shelved.

Smart Nissan Collaboration

Smart USA website official picture

Regards,

Great new addition to Smart as they take measures for better and more innovative urban mobility for the future, The escooter is confirmed for production. Lets hope it makes it to India.

Highlights are :

48-volt lithium-ion battery
5 Hp Electric motor
Can go a distance of 100 Km in a charge
Speeds upto 45 Km/ph

Below is the press release and images

Smart Escooter

Also here is the original concept in 2010

Smart escooter concept

Regards,

I drove the SMART -( which incidentally stands for Swatch, Mercedes and Art - since it was Swatch and Mercedes which initially collaborated on the car) - on a trip to Portugal - had rented it for a week and to compare it to the Nano is nothing short of sacrilege. It was a two seater convertible and I easily hit speeds of 140-150km/h on the highways and its stability was astounding. On the same trip I had also rented the Fiat 500 as well as the Renault Clio and neither of them came close to the drive-ability of the SMART. If it were launched in India at the price of a Jazz, I would not even think twice before buying it.