Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 08:48   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The absence of a sun-roof is a big disadvantage. I think the low beam is a HID even in the new Laura (see pic posted by Kiranjoshy).

Cheers,
The low beam is HID/xenon only on the L&K variant I think.

From the pic kiranjoshy posted, it shows that the low beam is a projector setup and high beam is conventional reflective. All Laura variants, even the Ambiente have projector setup's for low beam.
Old 14th October 2009, 11:44   #92
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Where the new Laura is better.

1) Petrol 168 bhp engine - faster than even the V6 Accord in real life conditions at about half the price. - who needs a VRS.
2) New diesel 140 Bhp - best of both worlds - power and fuel effenciency
3) smaller size parking sensors better the looks.
4) LCD touch screen entertainment and parking system in top model.

where it lags be earlier model
1) Earlier model lights actually gave a more classy look.
2) Sun roof
3) Xenon lights in L&K. (even the the new L&K has it.)
4) Alloy wheels - earlier model lights were better.
5) rough terrain package - Black spoiler below front and rear bumpers, side skits and on door sides.
6) Earlier side view mirrors looked better, but the newer ones have better visibility.

A case of you win some you loose some.
Old 14th October 2009, 11:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
It's simple guys..the new laura does not have the oomph factor like the previous Laura and seems a lot smaller too(maybe its because of the design).But lack of features like the sun roof,Auto seat adjustment and xenon lamps has led to very few takers.And now that the GM cruze is here i think its doomsday for Laura unless they reduce their prices drastically.
Dont think so.
Laura seems to be at a different segment. Cruze is somewhere between the Octavia and the Laura.
There is also a difference of brand perception between Chevy and the Skoda.

And the new Laura DOES sell decent numbers, see the actual numbers on a different thread.
It is a different story that we dont too many have bhpians amongst those new Laura owners and hence no ownership reviews/threads.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:22   #94
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Dont think so.
Laura seems to be at a different segment. Cruze is somewhere between the Octavia and the Laura.
There is also a difference of brand perception between Chevy and the Skoda.

And the new Laura DOES sell decent numbers, see the actual numbers on a different thread.
It is a different story that we dont too many have bhpians amongst those new Laura owners and hence no ownership reviews/threads.
Yep you are correct the numbers for last 3 months do indicate decent numbers in the price band in which it operates. The cruz launch would affect it this month and may be next as prospective buyers try it out before taking a call.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:34   #95
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

bang on!

I loved the earlier 2006-2007 Laura L&K. The original Octy was also lovely till they fiddled about with the stupid Rider and all those foolish variants.

The earlier Superb looked dignified and classy - the words "understated, gentlemanly aggression" spring to mind - the new Superb 2009 is nothing but an OTT bling wagon which people who are so inclined may use as a show-off machine and nothing else.

I think some designer at VW/ Skoda has been allowed to get away with murder and therefore he should be taken out and shot.

I used to aspire to a Skoda earlier (if ever I had been seriously in the market for a 'car' type vehicle, I would have certainly considered it very seriously) - but hey, now, with these "facelifts" and nip and tuck jobs - no way!

I hope they consider launching the YETI without excessive Bling and without idiot facelifts and nips and tucks.

The current Raw-ish, powerful looking one in the internet pics (as showcased in the auto shows etc) looks purposeful, mean and seems to ripple with energy even while standing still.

If the Yeti comes into India with a wheezy asthmatic engine and a severe downgrade in trim levels and an upgrade in "bling" factor, just to "meet some price target" it will fail, so I sincerely hope they think carefully before launching the YETI variants here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I feel the facelift has cheapened it.

The original model had an expensive dignity to it. The revised version especially in white looks cheapened with the lack of trim. Even the top line models look basic especially the wheels look plain jane
Old 14th October 2009, 15:12   #96
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
bang on!

I hope they consider launching the YETI without excessive Bling and without idiot facelifts and nips and tucks.

The current Raw-ish, powerful looking one in the internet pics (as showcased in the auto shows etc) looks purposeful, mean and seems to ripple with energy even while standing still.

If the Yeti comes into India with a wheezy asthmatic engine and a severe downgrade in trim levels and an upgrade in "bling" factor, just to "meet some price target" it will fail, so I sincerely hope they think carefully before launching the YETI variants here!
Actually the current Yeti already has the new / current Skoda family look, which has been incorporated in the Superb, new Laura, Fabia etc.

So if you like it, it may not change much, but it will most likely have a few features cut off from the list that makes it here. Just so that they beat the lowest cost 5 seater SUV on price terms.
Old 14th October 2009, 21:59   #97
Senior - BHPian

Saw a black facelifted Laura last night and it was looking AMAZING with xenon headlights.
Old 19th October 2009, 15:00   #98
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congrats Kiranjoshy! If i were to write a review, it wouldn't be very different. I have similar views on the car. Mine is an Elegance 1.9TDI A/T too. Had booked mine in early June. Had 'booked' Black. Later got a call from the dealer that black is not manufactured for Elegance trim, so either change the variant or the color (agreed it was his fault of not informing earlier and booking the car in black). Settled for white. Looks awesome! Here are some pictures of her: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...h-4000-km.html
Got delivery on 13 July as i had delayed the purchase because i was in two minds with the Superb. Finally when i told the dealer i wanted a White Superb 1.8 TSI, he heartlessly informed me of a waiting period of 3 1/2 months. While my white Laura was already in stock! As i could not wait, just got the Laura. Stuck to Elegance and did not go for L&K as i did not want to have the guilt of not paying a lakh more and getting the Superb!

The car sure is beautiful and in the first month people used to stare at it, though it's kind of reduced now. Mine has been here for a little over 3 months and has done 7000 kms. Except for a few issues, everything else is fine.

Can u please check the following for me?
1. The driver side ORVM is a plane mirror with bad visibility. Left side ORVM is a convex mirror.
2. The ORVMs do not heat even though they should in Elegance. (dealer checked with VAS and said they are programmed to heat when the ambient temperature is below 20 deg Cel. He is awaiting the required software to come from Skoda so that he can change the settings for me! On my Octavia there is no temperature condition.)
3. The ORVMs are not dimming like the centre RVM. Again they should in Elegance. (dealer said everything is fine. Maybe i have just gone blind with all that high beam from the tailing vehicle shining into my eyes.)
4. The AC vents used for defogging of windshield 'leak' air sometimes and my cause misting of windshield. Just a small fix. Satisfactory.

If you have any other issues, kindly let us know too.
Have fun with the beautiful beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Where the new Laura is better.

3) Xenon lights in L&K. (even the the new L&K has it.)
4) Alloy wheels - earlier model lights were better.
5) rough terrain package - Black spoiler below front and rear bumpers, side skits and on door sides.
6) Earlier side view mirrors looked better, but the newer ones have better visibility.

A case of you win some you loose some.
6) The new side mirrors are same as Superb and very similar to the A4. The old ones were too small. IMO the new ones are a good improvement.
4) The 6 spoke alloys on the older Laura were better than the current 6 spoke alloys on the Elegance.
3) No Xenons for Elegance! But xenons were available standard only on the L&K earlier too. The same now. I had asked dealer to put xenons on my Elegance. I was told the entire assembly needs to be changed. A pair is for Rs. 60,000/-

Last edited by Akki_5 : 19th October 2009 at 15:09. Reason: missed some points.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:56   #99
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
3) No Xenons for Elegance! But xenons were available standard only on the L&K earlier too. The same now. I had asked dealer to put xenons on my Elegance. I was told the entire assembly needs to be changed. A pair is for Rs. 60,000/-
Yep the pair of Headlight fixtures is About Rs. 32,000 for the pair, and the Xenon bulbs another 20,000 odd, the electric circuit cost, so 50-60k for the pair sounds roughly right.

The fixtures include auto high adjustment motors.

You could fix after maket Xenon lights in the projector barrels for about 20K though - at the cost of reliability.
Old 21st October 2009, 17:08   #100
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Akki_5;1538368] Stuck to Elegance and did not go for L&K as i did not want to have the guilt of not paying a lakh more and getting the Superb!

Any idea how much is the diesel variant of Superb cost ?? I think you're comparing the Skoda L&K with the petrol engine variant of Superb .
Old 21st October 2009, 21:01   #101

[quote=stanjohn123;1541950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Stuck to Elegance and did not go for L&K as i did not want to have the guilt of not paying a lakh more and getting the Superb!

Any idea how much is the diesel variant of Superb cost ?? I think you're comparing the Skoda L&K with the petrol engine variant of Superb .
Yeah. The comparison was between the Laura L&K and Superb 1.8 TSI. Was not looking at the Superb 2.0 TDI anyways. The Superb D costs about 25 L OTR in Mumbai. Petrol was for 21.xx L!
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:58   #102
BHPian

[quote=Akki_5;1542386]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post

Yeah. The comparison was between the Laura L&K and Superb 1.8 TSI. Was not looking at the Superb 2.0 TDI anyways. The Superb D costs about 25 L OTR in Mumbai. Petrol was for 21.xx L!
The 1.8 TSI would be so much MORE fun to drive.
And 4 L is worth A LOT OF FUEL.
(8000+ lit of petrol, good enough for close to 70k Kms)
Old 27th October 2009, 19:58   #103
BHPian

Can u please check the following for me?
1. The driver side ORVM is a plane mirror with bad visibility. Left side ORVM is a convex mirror.
2. The ORVMs do not heat even though they should in Elegance. (dealer checked with VAS and said they are programmed to heat when the ambient temperature is below 20 deg Cel. He is awaiting the required software to come from Skoda so that he can change the settings for me! On my Octavia there is no temperature condition.)
3. The ORVMs are not dimming like the centre RVM. Again they should in Elegance. (dealer said everything is fine. Maybe i have just gone blind with all that high beam from the tailing vehicle shining into my eyes.)
4. The AC vents used for defogging of windshield 'leak' air sometimes and my cause misting of windshield. Just a small fix. Satisfactory.

Hi Akki,

Glad to hear about someone else who's as excited as i am with the new Laura! Regarding your queries....

1. ORVM's are better than the old laura; bigger but still visibility is poor and cant be trusted. Esp. distance of vehicles

2. Your doubt regarding dimming of ORVMs at night. Well they do dim but the single sensor for all three mirrors is located in the central reversing mirror on the inside, so even if a high beam is hitting the OVRM, if the inside mirror sensor does not pick this up then the OVRMs would not be dimmed.

3. I covered 1500 km finally and am planning to get oil change and filter change. Dont listen to company regarding oil change intervals. I've done extensive research on engines, esp. diesels. The shorter the duration between oil-changes, the healthier for the engine!

4. Regarding the lack of xenons. I'm planning on installing 'Philips Blue vision' H7 bulbs for the projectors since these are the closest i can get to aftermarket xenons. I would but philips xenons but every single expert i've spoken to has told me that skoda's circuits are incompatible with aftermarket xenons. I'm also installing the "hybrid" white-colored park lights. Only problem is that after i contacted the Philips dealers here, there is no stock of "blue vision" or "crystal vision" anywhere in karnataka! Could you please check for me at your place. 55w H7 Philips blue vision.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:18   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
Hey -
Glad that you brought this up. It happnes on my Fabia also, at times.
What was the fix done for this ?
Old 29th October 2009, 00:30   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post

3. I covered 1500 km finally and am planning to get oil change and filter change. Dont listen to company regarding oil change intervals. I've done extensive research on engines, esp. diesels. The shorter the duration between oil-changes, the healthier for the engine!

4. Regarding the lack of xenons. I'm planning on installing 'Philips Blue vision' H7 bulbs for the projectors since these are the closest i can get to aftermarket xenons. I would but philips xenons but every single expert i've spoken to has told me that skoda's circuits are incompatible with aftermarket xenons. I'm also installing the "hybrid" white-colored park lights. Only problem is that after i contacted the Philips dealers here, there is no stock of "blue vision" or "crystal vision" anywhere in karnataka! Could you please check for me at your place. 55w H7 Philips blue vision.
hey
thanks for the info. will update you on the phillips bulbs as and when i get any info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Hey -
Glad that you brought this up. It happnes on my Fabia also, at times.
What was the fix done for this ?
just complain to your service center, they'll fix it up. basically they need to readjust the ac vents in the defogger to close completely when the defogger is switched off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks