Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 09:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
The CS dicor has nothing to go for it apart from the good engine..I hate the stubby boot.The CS definitely looks and feels like a built to cost car...Vista Qudrajet way better and fresher.
It doesnt have some things more than the vista, but it certainly has less issues

Someone was saying on orkut- the vista tagline is literally true. It changes everything

He had his power steering changed, window beading changed, AC changed , etc etc
Old 26th March 2009, 09:55   #32
BHPian

even though i have never been sedan crazy, my purchases happened by chance. In fact right now i am selling my Accent Viva and buying an i10 a/t & yes i don't worry about people's perception, for me convenience is of prime importance and the i10 suits my requirements.

Accent Viva (4.2m) --> i20 (4m) --> i10 (3.5m)

For mom and wifey travelling in a place like Bandra, Mumbai which is infested by autorickshaws & parking space is a luxury, this was our best decision. The only time i use my boot is when my sisters come down from the US twice a year. For that we have our everyday use Logan which can park a compact car or 2 in the boot, but seriously, i still see a lot of people who have this sedan "big car" obsession & i think it will be hard to change this mentality.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:08   #33
BHPian

the word premium hatch is wrong to use i think. it should be a "hot hatch". when you used premium hatch you instantly think its overpriced car.a hot hatch can be defined as. a hatchback with powerful engine(100 bhp), space for 4/5, with all the features and safety of a sedan. and which looks cool an sporty. such hatchbacks are premium and hot hatchbacks. so golf GTI is a hot hatchback. not swift. its looks hot in shape but its just basic stuff. swift sports with 17" and 100+bhp engine, sports suspension etc. which is sold in the UK is classified as a "hot hatchback" also skoda fabia vRS can be termed as hot hatch. but not the regular fabia.

no offense to anyone guys
. but there are hatchbacks and there are hot hatches. there is a difference. hot hatches are bought mostly for fun and driving pleasure. and the others are used for utility and daily commute.

badi gaddi, mentality will be there. and ok so buying a sedan over a hatch is not a bad thing. its not wrong to buy and sx4 over a fabia. but if there was a hot hatch in the indian market i would atleast consider it before jumping over to a sedan. like fabia vRS, JAZZ sports, swift sports. not available here i sad :(

Last edited by Caramelo : 26th March 2009 at 12:17.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:18   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Caramelo : the word premium hatch is wrong to use i think. it should be a "hot hatch". when you used premium hatch you instantly think its overpriced car..
A premium car would be one that has premium features. If it's features cannot match it's price, then it over priced. But if it is priced below the features it offers, it can be called as an excellent bargain price.

It can be called rightly priced if the price matches the features.

So, let's get the definitions right & which will put the discussion also on the right path.

And dont get me started on what a 'hot' car is.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Someone was saying on orkut- the vista tagline is literally true. It changes everything
too good!
Old 26th March 2009, 12:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Lets ask Honda to chop the tail off the Accord and try to sell it alongside the regular one, with a rider that any losses that it might encounter in the process, will be bailed out by the new group of mature hatch buyers.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A premium car would be one that has premium features. If it's features cannot match it's price, then it over priced. But if it is priced below the features it offers, it can be called as an excellent bargain price.

It can be called rightly priced if the price matches the features.

So, let's get the definitions right & which will put the discussion also on the right path.
thats what i have been saying. premium car/hatch is ones with premium features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And dont get me started on what a 'hot' car is.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Lets ask Honda to chop the tail off the Accord and try to sell it alongside the regular one, with a rider that any losses that it might encounter in the process, will be bailed out by the new group of mature hatch buyers.

they have the civic type R. accord is also a coupe so who knows
Old 26th March 2009, 12:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

It is surpirsing to see people will prefer struggling in traffic with huge sedans over prestige.
As long as there are people who drop their jaws () then they hear 'I have a Lancer' OR 'I have an Cedia', sedans will sell.
And as long as there are people who want to see dropping jaws, sedans will continue to sell.
The situation will change when we start getting trucks (read trimmed Safaris and ilk) at the price of sedans. Then the sedan fever will settle.

A dream garage of a person a little above middle class would be the following cars.
1) Small car for city hops.
2) Sedan for Family trips at functions etc.
3) S/MUV for outings.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

I think Indians have not yet given up their obsession towards sedans.

It's the absence (or, minimal options) of low-end but cute, peppy and fun-to-drive sedans that push the people to go for high-end hatches.

If such sedans are available in the price range of 4.5 - 6 lakhs, it will sell like anything.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox22 View Post
Don't you think a Golf GTI is better than a Jetta? A hatchback and sedan are not the same. It's not just the acceptance of a hatchback, but that of performance cars which may not have as much of a utility value as a regular car.
1. Golf GTI is not better than a Jetta. It could be better for you who would like go fast and corner fast, but for a ordinary joe like me, Jetta is more VFM. And yes, Jetta looks more like a proper car than a Golf. Infact, I am pretty sure a lot of people would prefer a Jetta over a Lamborghini if they have to transport 4 people and their luggage.

2. For every person who spends money on performance over utility, there are 10 who prefer utility over performance. Car manufacturers prefer 10 customers over 1.

3. About the Indian mentality of 'car with a dikky' is better than a car without one, consider this: Honda used to sell Civic in Hatchback and Sedan forms in US. Guess which one sold more?
In the same US, Hyundai sells Accent in Hatchback and Sedan form. Hatchback starts at 9.9 grand and Sedan at 12 grand. Guess why there is a price difference and guess which one sells more.
I think we will agree that US is a mature market and 'car's with dikky' are no representation of ones annual pay? Still sedans outsell hatchbacks from the same maker. What does it tell us?
Old 26th March 2009, 13:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

What has maturity got to do with it?

It is a matter of convenience. If I have only one car and it is a hatchback which has no space to carry luggage - do I hire a van to carry my bags when I go for a trip? Do I call for a taxi every time I need to drop/pick-up someone at the airport/station?

I have consciously stayed away from hatch-backs with no (or limited) space for luggage. It is only now after I have one car with a boot to fulfill my more important need of carrying things - luggage, shopping etc. that I am looking for a hatchback with excellent performance.

I love the way people here keep referring to Europe, IIRC Europe is filled with Saloons, hatches are more like the second cars in a family (along with SUVs and sports cars). In India, the hatches out-number everything else on the road. I wonder if our gurus on sales figures here can give us a break-up on the sales of hatches vs. saloons vs. estates vs. suvs world market-wise.

Cheers,
Old 26th March 2009, 14:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

Well I would prefer your first hand experience than 'someone was saying'.. I have had first hand experience with 2 Vista's both of them are doing absolutely fine at 10k's kms. Only the suspension bushes were changed under warranty because Tata's came up with a redesign to eliminate squeaking noises from the suspension.

I still dont think we have matured enough else how could someone buy an ugly butt of a car, the Dzire paying a premium over Swift just because it is a three box car.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:20   #44
BHPian

Everyone sees Dezire as a 'Swift with a boot'. So, I really don't think someone can buy Dezire and live up to the 'image' of owning a sedan.

However, I will any day buy a Dezire if the price diff with a Swift is not more than 50K just because I do need a better back seat. Most of the hatches offer not-so-good back seat comfort, esp Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I still dont think we have matured enough else how could someone buy an ugly butt of a car, the Dzire paying a premium over Swift just because it is a three box car.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
However, I will any day buy a Dezire if the price diff with a Swift is not more than 50K just because I do need a better back seat. Most of the hatches offer not-so-good back seat comfort, esp Swift.
No matter what people say the rear seat is almost exactly the same as the Swift in this case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks